How Do I Use The Little Plastic Scissors?

Decorating By Lazy_Susan Updated 17 Jan 2006 , 4:30pm by wendysue

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 5

I'm starting to get the hang of making buttercream roses but I can't for the life of me figure out what I am supposed to do with the little plastic scissors. What I have been doing after I finish my rose is slide the wax paper over to the rack in the freezer and then after it has been in the freezer for a while I take it out and pick it off the wax paper and then kinda plop it down on the cake. I know there is a better way but this was all I could figure out. How do y'all do it?

Thanks,
Lazy_Susan icon_wink.gif

4 replies
wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 5

The plastic scissors are made to lift the rose from your flower nail. You're not actually using them as scissors, but as a lifter. Place them at the base of your rose and then close them just enough to grab hold... then lift it off and place on cake. : )

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendysue

The plastic scissors are made to lift the rose from your flower nail. You're not actually using them as scissors, but as a lifter. Place them at the base of your rose and then close them just enough to grab hold... then lift it off and place on cake. : )

Cool! Thanks. I'll try that next time icon_smile.gif Do I have to freeze them first?

HeatherMari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherMari Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 4:23pm
post #4 of 5

Susan,
I don't use the flower lifter scissors much just because a small spatula is usually handier but you just take them and spred them apart just a bit, slide the under the flower, pick it up, place it on the cake, bring the scissors together and pull it out. I usually have to press down into the cake a little so I don't drag the flower out. If you want to try the spatula, it basically works the same way. I just slide the spatula half way under the flower enough to lift it off the nail and then just lay it on the cake and slide the spatula out.
HTH,
Heather

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 4:30pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy_Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendysue

Cool! Thanks. I'll try that next time icon_smile.gif Do I have to freeze them first?

I've never tried that, but they probably would be easier to handle if they were firm. It takes practice transfering a freshly made rose from flower nail to cake without damaging your work. If you've found another method that works I'd stick with it! : )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%