Setting Up My Cake Space

Decorating By Nermal03 Updated 18 Jan 2006 , 4:41pm by vanna49

Nermal03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nermal03 Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 25

Hey everyone,
My husband and I just moved into our first home about 2 weeks before Christmas. In our basement there is a spare bedroom which I've claimed as MY CAKE SPACE!!! I'm just working on setting things up and trying to decide how to do it and how to organize everything. I'm only going to be doing my decorating here and storage of my supplies the baking is still going to happen upstairs in the kitchen. Just wondering if any of you had any suggestions for me. It's a pretty fair sized room. I have a huge table in there already and a cart on wheels so I can take it from the table to the sink (there's an bathroom off the bedroom). I want to make sure it looks presentable so when people come to pick up orders or to come for consultations I can take them in there. If any of you have pictures of your Cake Spaces I'd love to see them.

Thanks so much,
Rachel icon_biggrin.gificon_rolleyes.gif

24 replies
melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 5:01pm
post #2 of 25

a long time ago someone posted a pic. of her cake space in the basement of her house. it showed how she stored her pans and different stuff. maybe you can do a search to find it. it was very nice to see what someone else did with her cake space.

melody

Nermal03 Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 5:51pm
post #3 of 25

Just bumping!

VACakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VACakelady Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 25

My cake space looks like a tornado came through! I've only had one order since Christmas, so other things have gotten piled up in my space. Either way, I can't get DH to let me use the camera long enough to take a photo, gotta get my own.

Organization is key, that's for sure. Even though you are doing your baking upstairs, it might be beneficial to have a small refrigerator in your cake room for refrigeration of any cakes that need it or certain frostings. If it were me, I'd have my DH install lots of shelves for all of my stuff (I really have to reorganize).

Now, if we could just get rid of all that useless exercise equipment, I could have a bedroom to myself too.

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 5:56pm
post #5 of 25

What a great idea for a thread! This would be a great place for us all to share our workspace secrets. Like how we organize and store our products. Secrets that make our work flow a little easier and a little quicker in the process. I'm going to be building a kitchen in our next house so I can legally operate a business. I'd love to see what everyone's workspace looks like.
I'm not the one to give much advice at this point. I don't have a lot of room and when I'm not decorating a cake, you wouldn't even know I did cakes! My kitchen just looks like a kitchen most of the time. The only thing I can recommend is to have a lot of counterspace and very good lighting. I think investing in the lights that go under cabinets and shine directly on your counter tops would be a wise choice.
Also, if you're going to have clients in your home you may want to have a nice sitting area that is outside the kitchen. That way you could be working on a cake for one client up until the time another client has an appt with you and you wouldn't be too concerned about putting everything away before you were done with it. I like to cut out as much stress as possible!

Devonee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Devonee Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 5:58pm
post #6 of 25

How exciting! I wish I could have my own cake space. I like to have doors to hide my mess behind but that might be a little hard to do in a bedroom, good luck!

CanbyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanbyCakes Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 6:03pm
post #7 of 25

I recommend going to www.earlenescakes.com
She's an awesome decorator out of Lubbock Texas with amazing
photos of her cakes, great ideas and tips, photos of her "custom (husband) made" kitchen and lots more.
Good luck

Nermal03 Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 6:08pm
post #8 of 25

WOW Earleans kitchen is absolutely amazing. I certainly don't have that kind of space. WOW sure does give us all something to dream about though. The shelves her husband made to display cakes are amazing too! Wow!

wendysue Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 6:16pm
post #9 of 25

Thanks for the link CanbyCakes! What a big kitchen she has! : ) http://www.earlenescakes.com/WRCabinets.htm

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 6:17pm
post #10 of 25

Congratulations on the new home AND the dedicated cake space! We just renovated our basement however due to our large family we were unable to dedicate a special cake space for me so I am definitely envious! icon_sad.gif

Here are the pics that I believe meldyscakes was referring to. I kept them in hopes of convincing my hubby to do the same for me...oh well, still some great ideas here. Unfortunately I did not remember who they belong to...
LL
LL

wendysue Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 6:21pm
post #11 of 25

triplet mom,
that looks like a great space too. I think I'd put slats in a few of the cubes to separate pans, another slated cube to separate boards, and yet another cube with slats to separate boxes. That would allow the decorator to better utilize the space... and what a lot of space they have! Also, use some of those plastic drawer systems they sell at Walmart to organize smaller things. : )

lpino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lpino Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 6:28pm
post #12 of 25

I'm sooo jealous of this room!!!! I wish I had half this space to organize my stuff!!!!

I have some Home Depot shelves that are filled to the max with plastic boxes one on top of the other and I hate when I need something that's in the bottom box!!!! (isn't that always the case??)

I agree with VAcakelady in getting rid of all the usless exercise equipment that dh swore he would use... icon_razz.gif

Nermal03 Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 6:49pm
post #13 of 25

Wow those pictures are great. I'm just starting out so luckily I don't have a crazy amount of stuff yet but I'm sure it won't be long. Absolutely loved the peg board with the ribbons and stuff!

didi5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didi5 Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 8:15pm
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Quote:

I like to have doors to hide my mess behind but that might be a little hard to do in a bedroom, good luck!

How about a freestanding screen to hide away the mess? The foldable kind so when guests/clients pop up you could just open it up in a jiffy. And when not in use you can just fold it away.

MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 8:55pm
post #15 of 25

I am SO green with envy right now! I LOVE that room!

I have so much stuff crammed into every nook and cranny in my house... LOL

Nermal03 Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 12:30pm
post #16 of 25

Thanks so so much to everyone who has given their imput so far. Just wanted to bump it back up again to see if there are any more great ideas of pictures of spaces.

HeatherMari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherMari Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 1:23pm
post #17 of 25

I don't have my own space right now because our house is sooo small but a couple things I use for organization is one if the plastic sets of drawers. It is pretty tall and has 6 drawers (3 small and 3 deeper ones). I use this to organize my cutters, sprinkles, small pans, etc. It is great! Also I just bought another tool turnabout from Pampered Chef to put all of my spatulas and things in for decorating to keep on my decorating table (a.k.a. kitchen table!).
HTH,
Heather

mikaza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mikaza Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 2:31am
post #18 of 25

My fiance and I just spent about 48 hours trying to create a cake space for me...I think we are off to a good start, but I need to rethink my use of space--especially shelving. It was so hard for me to visualize what I would need and how I would store things. I think I need to get some more shelving, and also some more dividing racks and such...
LL
LL
LL

Cady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cady Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 2:47am
post #19 of 25

No help...Just Jealous....lol

Nermal03 Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 3:03am
post #20 of 25

Thanks so much for the pictures

mikaza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mikaza Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 2:26pm
post #21 of 25

I probably should have mentioned...we got all of the cabinets from IKEA--and I think we ended up doing really well price-wise. We got 4 7x3x3 cabinets, and 2 9x3x3 cabinets, and all of the shelving (most of which pulls out so I dont have to reach behind things to get stuff) for about $800. IKEA also has TONS of storage ideas to use on shevles, and very inexpensively. I plan to go back (or use the website) to order some things like organizing drawers and such...

The downside was we had to assemble it all ourselves...without the use of a power tool!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 3:35pm
post #22 of 25

We don't have a basement, but do have a very large attic. I would love to do something up there. (already has stairs and such to it) Does anyone know if you need to have a dedicated line run for freezers and fridges?

This is a great thread!!

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 3:45pm
post #23 of 25

You guys that posted pics did a great job on the space!! I just turned my spare room into a cake room too. Haven't gotten it exactly the way I want it yet. As soon as I do I will add my pic's. Having things organized makes it so easy on you when you are making/decorating cakes. Plus it looks sooo good!! Ya'll have a nice day!

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 4:10pm
post #24 of 25

tripletmom, thanks for posting those pic....
i looked and looked and couldnt find the old post that had the pic. of her cool space.
i love her shelves!!!!

cant remember whose room this is, but your one lucky lady!!! icon_lol.gif

melody

vanna49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanna49 Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 4:41pm
post #25 of 25

loriemoms fridges and freezers run on 110 volts which is just a regular wall outlet...if you have none in the attic i would think about having one installed...they can be ran off drop cord but always the chance someone could unplug it and the chance of overloading a breaker

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%