Need To Speed Things Up!?

Decorating By JennT Updated 16 Jan 2006 , 4:41pm by chaptlps

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 9

I have a cake thawing for my class tonight, but need to speed things up a bit. Could I put it in the microwave for a few seconds to help the thawing process go a little faster? Maybe on defrost? Or would that ruin it? Help! icon_redface.gif

8 replies
Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 9

Will it be eaten? Might make it rubbery?? How about warming your oven slightly then turn it off. Wrap the cake well and let it sit in the oven for a while...

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 9

NO - do not microwave it!! I have never thawed a cake out, but I do know that microwaves toughen stuff up....not a good idea, IMO.

tanyap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyap Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 3:56pm
post #4 of 9

I wouldn't try to defrost it in the microwave...it'll become soggy and ick.

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 4:03pm
post #5 of 9

Unless you need to cut the cake in layers, there is really no need to defrost, you can decorate although it is very cold or frozen.. OR let it sit on the counter for maybe 1 1/2 hours.. cake thaw very quickly, not like meat.. icon_smile.gif

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 4:08pm
post #6 of 9

If you don't need the cake until tonight, it should be okay by then.

I've taken cake out of the freezer around 10 a.m. and it was thawed by 3 or 4 p.m.

Just depends on the temp of the room. I have also put my frozen cakes on a heavy jellyroll pan, still wrapped, and sat them on the stove TOP with the oven on just enough to warm the stove top. I've never put them IN the oven.

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 4:14pm
post #7 of 9

Ok...so the microwave is OUT! lol icon_lol.gif I need to take the cake to class already iced...so that's why I wanted to speed up the process a little bit. I like your idea, LittleBigMomma, about turning the oven on and sitting them on a sheet pan on top of the stove. I think I'll give that a try! Thank you all soooo much! icon_biggrin.gif

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 4:33pm
post #8 of 9

You are welcome!

Just "flip" the cake every once in awhile and don't let the stove top get hot.

Good luck and have fun tonight at class!

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 4:41pm
post #9 of 9

hiya guys,
JennT, sometimes having the cake a little stiff from being frozen helps with the torting. But if you take it out like right now, it'll def be defrosted before your class tonight. No worries!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%