I Need Some Serious Help!

Decorating By cakemommy Updated 16 Jan 2006 , 4:42pm by cakemommy

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 1:32am
post #1 of 6

I just made a pastillage rose and then attempted to color it using petal dust!!!!!!!!! Yeah right!!!! It's so different than luster dusts! What is the trick to using petal dusts? How do you make a white flower and then dust it with petal dust and have it look "natural"??????? I am so embarrased that I couldn't use them!!! icon_redface.gificon_cry.gif

Amy

5 replies
cakemommy Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 3:23am
post #2 of 6

No one can help me???? Come on Cake Central people!!! I know there are some out there that make gumpaste flowers and petal dust them! Don't let me down!

Amy icon_confused.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 4:49am
post #3 of 6

My experience with petal dust is that a small cosmetic sponge triangle (for large areas) or a small eyeshadow applicator (the sponge kind) works best. If you need, or want to use, a brush, a natural bristle "fluffy" on is OK. I guess it really is like applying eyeshadow to the petals icon_lol.gif

Also, it's best to do as much "dusting" before putting all of the flower parts together--you can then fine tune it once it's constructed.

Best of luck.
Rae

Tuggy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tuggy Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 11:32am
post #4 of 6

I only do the "little extra" with petal dust. So I color the paste in the color desired, but much lighter (for example pink rose = baby pink) and dust them after drying. I use watercolor brushes not too large ones. Dip them in the dust and brush off the extra and than go from the outside of the petal to the middle. So the middle will be lighter. Sometimes is nice to do an extra color just on the outside.

Hope this is not too confusing.

Sparklycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklycake Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 12:35pm
post #5 of 6

At my course we were told to mix them with Cornflour, probaly called cornstarch in the states and it does make them brush on a lot more easily without affecting the colour.

cakemommy Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 4:42pm
post #6 of 6

A makeup sponge is a great idea. I wasn't having much luck with the brush. I was thinking I should probably dust them before putting them on but was worried about the color coming off once I handle the petal!
These are great suggestions!

Amy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%