What Tutorials Do You Want?

Decorating By Jenn123 Updated 16 Sep 2008 , 3:41pm by stampinron

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 1:12am
post #1 of 98

I would love to create some tutorials but I'm not sure what everyone is interested in. I'm SURE there are some talented people out there that could contribute some really good ones, but need some encouragement. Maybe if we start making a list, we'll get some new stuff!

I personally want to learn some basic fondant decorating techniques (not just covering with it). I'd also like to learn more about candy molds and dusts because I don't have any experience with these. How about some pulled or blown sugar?

What are you burning to learn more about? Are there some basics that you don't feel have been covered? Is there something you think you could never learn? 'detective.gif'

97 replies
SugarCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarCreations Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 1:21am
post #2 of 98

I did one on casting a sugar rooster but I don't know what happened to it. The Pulled and Blown Sugar Forum has died so I have just been wondering around.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 1:29am
post #3 of 98

I'm about ready to post something concerning this one.....GUMPASTE FLOWERS!!!!!

Amy

Jenn123 Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 1:32am
post #4 of 98

I would love to see the sugar rooster! Is there an archive that it might have been bumped to?

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 1:34am
post #5 of 98

I never even checked for a tutorial on them on here! HMMMMM!!! I'm someone who needs to "have their hand held" when it comes to learning certain things so I would definately need GOOD pictures of each step!

Amy

kraftychristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kraftychristy Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 1:36am
post #6 of 98

I would like to learn more about buttercream flowers. I just recently took a job as the cake decorater for my Local grocery chain. Now, I KNOW, y'all that the grocery stores are the enemy icon_lol.gif but I had to get a job so what better that doing what I love!! Anyway the only thing Im really doing right now is roses, and that's great, but I want to learn some new flowers that I can do in buttercream. I did one yesterday with BC hyacinths, and that turned out really well. On Sweet Dreams by Tracy's website, she piped sunflowers and hibiscus directly on the cake. Does anyone know how to do this? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks all!
Christy icon_smile.gif

Jenn123 Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 1:37am
post #7 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemommy

I never even checked for a tutorial on them on here! HMMMMM!!! I'm someone who needs to "have their hand held" when it comes to learning certain things so I would definately need GOOD pictures of each step!

Amy

icon_lol.gif Check out the articles tabs. There are several tutorials on flowers!

mazaryk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazaryk Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 1:43am
post #8 of 98

Anything on gumpaste flowers and a chocolate transfer (with photos).
I know that a chocolate transfer is just like a bcft, but I would like a straight tutorial on chocolate transfer, if possible.

Thank-you to everyone who takes time/energy/compassion to do the tutorials. They are greatly appreciated.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 1:43am
post #9 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn123

...I'd also like to learn more about candy molds...

Candy Step by Step....
http://www.tracescreations.com/stepbystep/sbshw/sbshw.htm

Jenn123 Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 1:52am
post #10 of 98

Thanks Trace! Love your site.

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 2:25am
post #11 of 98

bakerchick103, lots of people who usually just do baking for their families go to work for grocery stores - even ice cream shops that do ice-cream cakes such as Carvel and Basking Robbins. It's a great little job, and probably not too stressful since, honestly, people don't really expect grocery store cakes to be perfect!!!

Alien_Sunset Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alien_Sunset Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 2:40am
post #12 of 98

I second the buttercream flower request.

I can't seem to get them just from pictures, I either need videos, or detailed step by step pictures with bag positions and everything.

mikaza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mikaza Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 2:49am
post #13 of 98

I would love some more tutorials on how to make supports for unique cakes...I am pretty good at coming up with crazy ideas, and decent at carving the cakes...but CLUELESS when it comes to figuring out how to keep the cake from toppling over!

I would also love to see more tutorials on some of the fantastic 3-D cakes.

And finally...I have never tried to blow sugar, but I would be very interested in a beginners tutorial!

I could probably go on and on...SO much to learn!

JamieL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamieL Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 3:04am
post #14 of 98

Stacked square presents, set at angles, with a fondant bow and photos of each step.

Ways to adapt cardboard boxes or other containers to transport larger cakes--princess dolls, stacked tiers, etc.

Covering the cake board with creativity--ways to do the foil neatly without bunching, how those who use fabric and contact paper cover neatly with saran wrap, how to cover the board with fondant in step by step photos, and any other extras--stand and display recommendations, etc.

So much more . . . great thread!

beany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beany Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 3:25am
post #15 of 98

There are so many tutorials I could ask for - but I'd really like to see a tutorial on cupcakes.
I know what you're thinking.....how hard can they be?
Well, my paper cases always shift from the weight of the cupcake. They always look uneven. I'd love them to be straight! My "swirls" on top lean to one side.

I also love the look of all the mini cakes - but not sure how to attempt one.

Great thread!

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 3:32am
post #16 of 98

I volunteer for the Cupcakes tutorial! I have to do 200 in 2 weeks and I absolutely PROMISE to photograph and submit it this time!!!! thumbs_up.gif

beany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beany Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 3:34am
post #17 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonia74

I volunteer for the Cupcakes tutorial! I have to do 200 in 2 weeks and I absolutely PROMISE to photograph and submit it this time!!!! thumbs_up.gif

YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY!

I can't wait to see it antonia74! Your cupcakes are so impressive. Thankyou for volunteering.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 3:44am
post #18 of 98

I would love to see a step-by-step Fondant Ribbon Roses "for Dummies"!

I have to do a cake covered in these funky roses and I just need to see one from start to finish.

VACakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VACakelady Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 4:34am
post #19 of 98

I would definitely like to see something on gumpaste flowers and mini cakes!!

vie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vie Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 4:38am
post #20 of 98

I would love a tutorial on how to cover a square cake in fondant and have the corners look normal if you know what I mean. I have tried and still can't. And all the other things that everyone is talking about. HMMMM I think I am asking for too much here....lol as you can see I want to know more and more.... but to cover a square cake in fondant would be great.

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 4:11pm
post #21 of 98

i would read and appreciate any articles on learning something new, or better than i have been doing it. i've read the one on cookies before, but had my own style and recipe, but decided to give it a try this week.... i really enjoyed doing something new and different,it was fun.
so, anything any one wants to contribute would be great!!!
thanks!
melody

Nermal03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nermal03 Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 4:40pm
post #22 of 98

Here my list for things I'd love to see

1. GUM PASTE FLOWERS ****Big interest here!!! Complete with a good recipie and making the gum paste
2. Fondant Bows
3. Even more buttercream flowers
And finally
4. I loved the idea on decorating boards and boxes

Rachel icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

kellyh57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyh57 Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 5:22pm
post #23 of 98

I love those baby block cakes. It's usually 3 blocks- 2 on the bottom, 1 on top. I'd love to see how you get them so darn perfect, let alone stack them!

Kelly

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 5:27pm
post #24 of 98

bakerchick,
don't despair, I too am in the "enemy camp" I am the dept. lead (kinda like a foreman)in our bakery and I take stuff from this site all the time. In fact I have a coupla cakes on here that I did for (at) work. So, hun, you have friends. LOL !!! I am sure that the rest of the ladies on here won't hold it against ya!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif
Ladies, (and gents), I still luvs yas!!!!
p.s. sticking with the forum topic at hand.... How about a tutorial on air-brushing and some if it's techniques???

princessjellybean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princessjellybean Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 5:30pm
post #25 of 98

i would love to see the cupcake tutorial...cant wait for that...and the ribbon roses...i love them and they look so funky.

mikaza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mikaza Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 8:11pm
post #26 of 98

I volunteer to do one on chocolate transfer sheets...but I am not exactly sure the next time I'll be doing one. I am going to try to do at least one cake a week that is for my own fun and enjoyment (not that I dont enjoy every cake...but I find that the more orders I take, the less time I have to play with things I want to try!)....so I will try to fit one in in the next few weeks!

Jenn123 Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 8:21pm
post #27 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaptlps

sticking with the forum topic at hand.... How about a tutorial on air-brushing and some if it's techniques???

I've submitted an airbrushing one for shaped cakes. Hopefully it will be published soon!

maxiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maxiecakes Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 9:49pm
post #28 of 98

I SURE WOULD LOVE TO LEARN HOW TO MAKE THE STACKED PILLOWS LIKE
MEEKA'S QUEENS PILLOWS IN THE GALERY

amberlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberlicious Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 12:25am
post #29 of 98

I was just looking for a cupcake cake tutorial- if there is one could you point me in te right direction? If there's not I'd love to learn how to do them!!

mgowan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgowan Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 12:35am
post #30 of 98

I want one on doing fondant drapes. I like tutorials with pictures.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%