Help!!!!!!please!!!!!!!

Decorating By my2kidsmom Updated 5 Mar 2007 , 3:05am by my2kidsmom

my2kidsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my2kidsmom Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 4:50am
post #1 of 8

I just wasted three batches of buttercream icing. The worst part is I don't know how! Please help me try to figure this out. This is my recipe.

2 cups crisco
2 pounds powdered sugar
3 tbsp flavoring
6 tbsp water
Cream crisco, water, and flavorings. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl. Gradually add powdered sugar till all incorporated. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl and beat on medium speed for a few minutes longer.

Now, I made three batches of this, 1 at a time. Each individual batch turned out fine. After I got the last one done I added them all together to give them a final mix to get out all the air or whatever. After only a minute or two there were tiny lumps all in my icing! I tried adding some boiling water but it didn't help. I had to throw the whole batch out. As I was emptying the icing in the garbage, I noticed that most of the lumps was in the top of the icing. I have to go buy more supplies and remake the icing tomorrow. I could cry right now! I've had this happen to me before and I blamed it on this, that, and the other. This time I know I did everything right. I sifted the sugar, Dixie Crystals. Please help me figure this out to prevent it from happening again. [/code]

7 replies
Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 5:03am
post #2 of 8

It looks to me like there maybe needed to be a little more water after you added them all together. Not positive though so this'll give ya a bump!!!

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 5:31am
post #3 of 8

Hmmm....I dont know how to help you, but I will say, I have had a similar thing happen to me before. How I solved it....I quit adding the batches together at the end. I just stored the batches in separate bowls. I didnt know how to fix the problem. icon_confused.gif

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 6:11am
post #4 of 8

If it is a crusting bc, that could be the problem. The first two batches may have crusted while waiting for the third.

If your bc starts to crust, put all 3 together and let it sit a while. The moisture will soften the lumps, then just stir well before using.

To prevent (IF it's the problem I'm thinking of), lay a piece of saran wrap right on the top of the bc. That will keep the air out, and prevent crusting.

my2kidsmom Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 2:32pm
post #5 of 8

I kept the icing covered with a damp kitchen towel. The powdered sugar I used, Dixie Crystals, is a pure cane sugar. The last time this happened I kept the icing for a few days and experimented with it. I tried heating it in the micro, I tried adding boiling water, and I tried re-beating it. No luck!

fourangelsmommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fourangelsmommie Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 7:22pm
post #6 of 8

I agree with Zmama. I use the wilton bc recipe just like you and my icing crusts pretty fast, so by the time I add another batch with the first, I have the tiny lumps.

Put saran wrap or glad press n seal over your icing while you are making your next batch.

I store my icing in giant gallon paint buckets I purchased from our local hardware store. The buckets with lids are only like $3 and I always keep plastic wrap over the icing even with the lid on. Just make sure to keep the plastic wrap pushed down so it touches the icing so no air can get to the icing to make it crust.

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 1:35am
post #7 of 8

Could it be the brand of sugar?? I use C&H without any problems. Others have used Dominoe, although I can't find that brand.

my2kidsmom Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 3:05am
post #8 of 8

It turned out just fine. I made each batch individual with all the same ingredients. I did not combine them at the end. Thanks for everyones replie.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%