How To Make Chocolate Black?

Decorating By fooby Updated 3 Mar 2007 , 11:11pm by juledcakes

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 3:19am
post #1 of 9

Hi all,

I tried making dark chocolate candy melts black but it seems that it's not working. I finished the whole darn bottle of black candy color but it didn't work. Anyone out there that can help?

TIA!

8 replies
freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 3:23am
post #2 of 9

did you let it sit for awhile? Black often takes time before it darkens to a true black color.

fooby Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 3:31am
post #3 of 9

Nope. Can I remelt the chocolate after letting it sit for awhile?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 4:14am
post #4 of 9

I tried the same thing last week--used a whole pot of the Wilton Black Candy Color--and no luck.

I gave up and piped with the dark chocolate candy melts and it looked fine when finished.

Even with the candy colors, I noticed that the melts set up very, very quickly and the lines were prone to cracks and breaks. Not sure if this issue was related to adding the black to the melts, but it did make life a bit tougher.

Rae

fooby Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 3:00pm
post #5 of 9

Grrrr I may have to settle with black fondant then. I wish I ordered Satin Ice two weeks ago if I knew this would happen. Oh well, lesson learned icon_smile.gif

Kyleen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kyleen Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 10:14pm
post #6 of 9

I buy most my candy melts pre colored. That way I don't get thick chocolate when you add color. If you need the link to the supplier, I will look it up.

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 10:46pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooby

Grrrr I may have to settle with black fondant then. I wish I ordered Satin Ice two weeks ago if I knew this would happen. Oh well, lesson learned icon_smile.gif

I just posted today about making black fondant. Someone else here discovered that adding cocoa to the melted marshmallows in mmf gave her black. I did have to add some black coloring to mine, but I've got a whole batch of black mmf now.

angiebee245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angiebee245 Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 10:59pm
post #8 of 9

I would just use the dark chocolate. However I use Elaine's food coloring from the CK company. 1 or 2 drops and you have amazing color. I swear by this stuff. Find a local cake or candy supply store and they could probably order it for you. You can remelt your chocolate. I use the microwave all the time. For 1 pound, put it in the microwave for 4 minutes on defrost. Stir, and repeat if nessecary. Best of luck. icon_smile.gif

juledcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juledcakes Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 11:11pm
post #9 of 9

did you use a powdered coloring or a liquid? ive done black chocolate before and the liquid candy color works best, just let it sit a little while to pick up on the color

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%