50Th Anniversary Cake!! Help!!!!!!!!!!

Decorating By momof3jotynjake Updated 3 Apr 2005 , 7:17pm by momof3jotynjake

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 3 Apr 2005 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 12

Hello! Ok,,, im soo stressed!!! I just got my 1st cake order and Its for a 50th wedding anniversary that needs to feed 75 people!!!! Any suggestions? or advice??? How many cakes do i need to feed 75 people? Should I do a tiered cake?
Any suggestions would be awesome!! thank you!!
oh, and the party is april 16th!!! icon_eek.gif

11 replies
kate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kate Posted 3 Apr 2005 , 5:44pm
post #2 of 12

Are you comfortable with doing a tiered cake? If so a 6",8",10" will serve 78 according to wiltons chart. Those are small servings though so if they want to get that many out of it they need to cut according to the chart. If you want bigger servings you could go with a 6",9",12" which wilton says will serve 102 I think. Those are round two layer tiers. I think the push in pillars are easy to use if it's your first try at a tiered cake. Here's an easy one...
http://photos1.blogger.com/img/290/1701/640/wedding_2.jpg
Or an even easier idea is to use the cascading stand idea, like this...
http://photos1.blogger.com/img/290/1701/640/DSCF0133.jpg

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 3 Apr 2005 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3jotynjake

Hello! Ok,,, im soo stressed!!! I just got my 1st cake order and Its for a 50th wedding anniversary that needs to feed 75 people!!!! Any suggestions? or advice??? How many cakes do i need to feed 75 people? Should I do a tiered cake?

First off what pans do you have on hand?? Rounds - Squares - Sheets - ect???

Dose the person that is ordering it want any say in what is made or are you able to do what ever???

What are you able to do the best?? stacking or singles??

Are you able to do fondant flowers??

If so I have always like the tea cup and saucer look filled with flowers for 50 year cakes...

once there is a bit more insite maybe there could be some suggestions..

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 3 Apr 2005 , 5:53pm
post #4 of 12

I like tiered cakes. I think they look more formal. Since it's your first, I'd go with a stacked tier instead of pillars. I also think you should incorporate the color gold in some way like gold roses or gold ribbon. The sizes and number of tiers is up to you. Here is Earlene's cake serving chart--much better than Wilton's (small servings like kate said).

http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm

Lisa Posted 3 Apr 2005 , 5:55pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladycake

If so I have always like the tea cup and saucer look filled with flowers for 50 year cakes...

That's sounds so pretty Ladycake...do you have a pic of one?

Ladycake Posted 3 Apr 2005 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa

Quote:

That's sounds so pretty Ladycake...do you have a pic of one?

Lisa I personally dont have one made .... But what you do is put a piece of foam in the cup and then you stick your flowers in there to make your arrangement then what you do is set the saucer on your top teir and then your cup... YOU want to find an old china cup..

momof3jotynjake Posted 3 Apr 2005 , 6:46pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa

I like tiered cakes. I think they look more formal. Since it's your first, I'd go with a stacked tier instead of pillars. I also think you should incorporate the color gold in some way like gold roses or gold ribbon. The sizes and number of tiers is up to you. Here is Earlene's cake serving chart--much better than Wilton's (small servings like kate said).

http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm

Ok, now, is stacked tiers when the cakes are on top of one another?
I love the Idea of the gold ribbon! thanks!!

momof3jotynjake Posted 3 Apr 2005 , 6:50pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:

Quote:

First off what pans do you have on hand?? Rounds - Squares - Sheets - ect???

Dose the person that is ordering it want any say in what is made or are you able to do what ever???

What are you able to do the best?? stacking or singles??

Are you able to do fondant flowers??

once there is a bit more insite maybe there could be some suggestions..

I only have a 9" round pan. I am going to go out and buy some this week. i ahve a coupong that im going to use up at michaels. what do you suggest using? rounds squares??
I think he is letting me decide. I will ask him what colors and filling hed like. Ill do a white cake, which i think is what he wants.. what filling should i do? I normally do the vanilla pudding filling>
I have never done fondant flowers? Ill give it a try though on a practice cake 1st. I read up on a homemade marshmellow fondant that i would like to try. they say it tastes a whole lot better than wiltons.
Thanks for the teacup idea! that sounds beautiful!!!!
How much do you charge per serving??
thanks so much for your help!!!!!

Ladycake Posted 3 Apr 2005 , 7:03pm
post #9 of 12

depending on your area what your cost can be... $1.00 - $6.00 a slice... I personally dont do it that way I just figure out what my cost is and then mark it up either 2.5% or 3.0% of my cost.. I made a pricing matrix and added my costs in there and then just imput numbers to get my totals...

Lisa Posted 3 Apr 2005 , 7:04pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:

Ok, now, is stacked tiers when the cakes are on top of one another?
I love the Idea of the gold ribbon! thanks!!

Yes...like this

http://cakecentral.com/article23-Teired-Stacked-Cake-Construction.html

Lisa Posted 3 Apr 2005 , 7:06pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:

Lisa I personally dont have one made .... But what you do is put a piece of foam in the cup and then you stick your flowers in there to make your arrangement then what you do is set the saucer on your top teir and then your cup... YOU want to find an old china cup..

Thanks for explaining...it sounds like a wonderful way to top a cake! If momof3jotynjake wanted to use that idea, she could use a cup and saucer with gold on it.

momof3jotynjake Posted 3 Apr 2005 , 7:17pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:

depending on your area what your cost can be... $1.00 - $6.00 a slice... I personally dont do it that way I just figure out what my cost is and then mark it up either 2.5% or 3.0% of my cost.. I made a pricing matrix and added my costs in there and then just imput numbers to get my totals...

Hi! do you have a copy of the price matrix that i can see? My e-mail is [email protected].
Also, do you think the 6", 9" and 12" would be a good way of stacking?? that will be enough to feed 75 and then some extra?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%