How Do You Make Fondant Roses!!!!???

Decorating By chefdot Updated 18 Oct 2016 , 1:19am by LettieKaye

chefdot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefdot Posted 14 Jan 2006 , 11:12pm
post #1 of 12

icon_cry.gif
I want to know how everyone makes Fondant roses... I have never seen anything like them, they are gorgeous and I want to learn! HELP! PLEASE!!! Thanx!
icon_redface.gif

11 replies
boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 15 Jan 2006 , 8:47am
post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefdot

icon_cry.gif
I want to know how everyone makes Fondant roses... I have never seen anything like them, they are gorgeous and I want to learn! HELP! PLEASE!!! Thanx!
icon_redface.gif

I use the same method that I use for making white chocolate roses. I dont do them the same way as the gumpaste, as the gumpaste you make a center on a wire and let it dry before you put the petals on. With fondant, i first mix in some gumtrag, let it sit in an airtight container or in a ziplock bag for about an hour, and then i start to work with it. By this stage it would be already coloured. I make the center, then add two petals, then three around these, then five. Sometimes i add another 7 around the five, and i allow the rose to dry.
These instructions for chocolate roses are very similar and should help.
The following cake was made using fondant roses. Much quicker than gumpaste but not as fine.
http://www.pastrychef.com/htmlpages/recipes/rose.html
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Candy/ChocolateRoses.htm
Nati
LL

mazaryk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazaryk Posted 15 Jan 2006 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 12

This is a summary of tips I have read here CC

Can use playdoh to practice
Can use mini dumdum/tootsie roll suckers for centers
Practice, Practice, Practice
Put rose centers on toothpick to dry overnight then continue
have an example of a real/silk rose with you
Wilton makes a fondant rose kit with shape cutters for petals

Hope this helps

mazaryk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazaryk Posted 15 Jan 2006 , 2:41pm
post #4 of 12

also found this link for step-by-step instructions.

http://www.wilton.com/decorating/basic/fondantrose.cfm

chefdot Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 12:17am
post #5 of 12

Thanx guys very much for the sites... I think I am gonna look into taking a class and see what works better for me, fondant or gumpaste. I am more hands on then reading it step by step. You guys rock! icon_smile.gif

MadeYaLook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadeYaLook Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 12:35am
post #6 of 12

I am brand new to the decorating scene, but I got into it by taking a Wilton course at my local craft store. They show you the basics, and the classes are very inexpensive. If you get full price its 24.00 or the special is half off.

Course I is buttercream and basic strokes, Course II is royal icing, flowers, and basketweaves, &Course III is fondant and you make a tiered cake with fondant roses. I am in the middle of II right now, but am itching to get it over so that I can learn those roses too!!

chefdot Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 12:37am
post #7 of 12

GREAT! I will look into it to see if they have that at Michael's. I think I have heard that they do. I have taken classes with other local bakeries and cake supply stores and have learned soooo much, but I really think it's best to learn the Wilton way too... even if it's not your thing later on. At least you have that on your resume... lol! icon_smile.gif

MadeYaLook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadeYaLook Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 12:43am
post #8 of 12

EXACTLY!!!! Flowers aren't really my style, but if I take this as far as my imagination is runnign right now at some point SOMEONE will want a cake with flowers on it, and covered in them I'm sure icon_cry.gif themn I wan't to know how to do them well, and have ex-perience with them too.

Are you quickly getting addicted to CC? Easy to do isn't it? icon_biggrin.gif

chefdot Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 12:56am
post #9 of 12

You know it's funny you should ask that... I used to be on myspace alot doing stuff but now I find myself on here all the time... it's so bad that when I woke up this morning I told my boyfriend that I dreamt of the cakes I have been obsessing over doing for next weekend... he said... "gee, I dream of naked women and here you are dreaming of cake".... I was laughing so hard... it's so true. Cake is my life now! icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 12:38pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefdot

You know it's funny you should ask that... I used to be on myspace alot doing stuff but now I find myself on here all the time... it's so bad that when I woke up this morning I told my boyfriend that I dreamt of the cakes I have been obsessing over doing for next weekend... he said... "gee, I dream of naked women and here you are dreaming of cake".... I was laughing so hard... it's so true. Cake is my life now! icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

I am on myspace too, but I must say people I run up on there are more concerned with other stuff, so I come here.....

chefdot Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 6:10pm
post #11 of 12

That is sooo true! I got on there only cuz it's an easy and free way to talk to people I lot contact with from High School. I love this though! I am addicted... I am even on it right now at work! icon_biggrin.gif

LettieKaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LettieKaye Posted 18 Oct 2016 , 1:19am
post #12 of 12

Okay folks I've been searching this site all day and am not getting the answer to my question.  I'm wanting to know "how much in weight" fondant or gum paste for each rose or other flower.  My Fondant and Gum Paste Student Guide does give me a picture of the size ball, i.e. for 1 Rose there is a 1/2 inch ball for the base, 1 inch ball for petals and 1/2 inch ball for calyx.

I like working with measurements in ounces or grams.  That way I will know exactly how much fondant or gum paste I will need to make (color) to do lets say 10 roses or 10 mums, etc.  That way I make one batch for all the flowers and they are all from the same batch and are consistent in color.

I guess I could roll the balls as indicated in my book, weigh them and then multiply that weight by how many I want to make.  I'm new at this so I don't want to end up waisting fondant (its expensive) or not getting the color uniform.

Any ideas other than what I'm thinking about doing by measuring for one and then multiplying.  I guess I just figured there would be a base line for the amount needed for each flower.  I know I've found how many pounds to cover certain size cakes, etc.

Thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%