Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe Help/hunt

Baking By cande Updated 24 Jan 2006 , 5:21am by JennT

cande Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cande Posted 14 Jan 2006 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 26

I'm trying to make a perfect chocolate chip cookie. To me, the perfect CCC is one that is not cake like, is slightly crisp only on the outer edge, and is gooey-but firm-cookie dough in the middle (half unbaked-- kinda like Subways chocolate chip cookies) But, I keep running into these problems: either the cookies are too puffy and cake like or they are too crisp and crunchy. How do I find the right balance? Do you have any tips or suggestions for me?

I know too much flour=cakey, too little flour or too much fat= too crisp or too crunchy. And, obviously I need to not bake them so long or they will not be doughy in the center. Do you have any suggestions or recipes?

25 replies
cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 14 Jan 2006 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 26

Personally, I like the Nestle tollhouse recipe. You can get at a www.verybestbaking.com. I like a chewier, not so cakelike cookie too. Have you made them before?

bakersofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakersofcakes Posted 14 Jan 2006 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 26

In my family, no matter what "great new" recipe I try, they always prefer the original Nestle Toll House Recipe.

For some reason, I have to add an additional 1/4 c. flour to the 2-1/4 c. flour called for in the recipe. (It used to be that a 5 lb. bag of flour stated that there were approximately 20 cups of flour in the 5 lb. but now they state a 5 lb. bag contains 17 cups of flour. Ever since the change, I've had to add the additional 1/4 c. to this recipe only! icon_confused.gif ) Don't beke them for the longest time either--I bake at 375 degrees for about 7-1/2 or 8 min. max. & have chewy cookies!

(BTW, I usually make a double batch & add 1/2 c. flour to the 4-1/2 c.)

HTH,
bakersofcakes icon_smile.gif

meghan89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghan89 Posted 14 Jan 2006 , 5:42pm
post #4 of 26

I too, love the nestle toll house recipe, but what I do to keep the cookies chewy, is to melt the butter entirely! Just throw it in the microwave and nuke it until it is completely melted, then I also underbake them, usually about 9-10 minutes! Good Luck!

hamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamie Posted 14 Jan 2006 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 26

I use the criso recipe. It is my families favorite.

No matter what recipe you use, I think the most important thing to do is to carefully follow the directions. I took a cooking class a few years ago. On the first night we were to bring a batch of our favorite ccc and the recipe. We then remade the ccc following the directions. I had never creamed the butter and the sugar as long as I should have. I made a huge difference. It might take a bit longer with all the mixing, but it is really woth it.

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 14 Jan 2006 , 6:23pm
post #6 of 26

I have the recipe from Mrs. Fields. To make it softer, I use more brown sugar than granulated sugar. I also don't bake it until it looks completely cooked. The cookies always look underbaked when I take them out of the oven and let them sit on the baking pan for a minute or 2. Let me know if you want the recipe.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 14 Jan 2006 , 10:23pm
post #7 of 26

Try this site for info. Soemtiems ahrd to navigate, but it offers a lot of technical info that could help you pick apart your recipe. i used it to make my own sugar cookie recipe so that it would do what I wanted it to do and taste like I wanted it to.

http://www.baking911.com/cookies/chocolate_chip.htm

Thanks, Julia

cande Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 7:43pm
post #8 of 26

Thanks so much for all of your replies!

I've made the tollhouse recipe several time, trying to tweak it, but with the changes, it hasn't been crisp on the outermost edges but chewy and doughy in the middle...?

If I cream the butter and sugar longer, will that help? I guess I'll just need to try it and compare it to completely melted butter one. But, if I completely melt the butter, how do I cream it with the sugar?

I'll definitely check out that baking 911 link, too.

Thanks again for all of your replies! If anyone else has a suggestion, please post, too icon_biggrin.gif

Fishercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fishercakes Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 7:46pm
post #9 of 26

Award Winning Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies

Makes 3 dozen

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cups packed brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated white sugar
1 (3.4 oz) pkg instant vanilla pudding
2 eggs
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Sift together the flour and bakign soda, set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Beat in the insant pudding mix until blended. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Blend in the flour mixture. Finally, stir in the chocolate chips and nuts. Drop by spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Edges should be golden brown.

Simple!

Hope this helps! It really is a wonderful soft cookie recipe.

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 7:50pm
post #10 of 26

I have used the following recipe since I found it in a cookbook in high school (many years ago). Everyone loves my cc cookies.

1 C granulated sugar
1/2 C brown sugar
2/3 C shortening
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla

2 1/4 C flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
6 oz chocolate chips

Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes

I usually bake mine no more than 10 min. as we like gooey cookies (my kids call them squeaky cookies). My daughter makes this and she uses 12 oz. chocolate chips. I also add nuts occasionally.

smileyface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smileyface Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 7:53pm
post #11 of 26

I too prefer the original Nestle Toll House Recipe. My cookies nearly always come out like you are describing. Do you use self rising flour or all purpose? I made them once with self rising and they were much more cake like than I wanted. Try to make sure your butter is room temperature. It seems to make a difference if it is right out of the fridge for some reason. I tried melting mine once but the cookies spread out way too much. Make sure you add all the ingredients as accurately as you can. I weigh mine instead of measuring but that probably doesn't make a difference. Oh yeah, if your baking powder is old, that might make a difference. If you have any stones, try baking cookies on them. I bake all my cookies on stones now and love the difference. I also tend to underbake my cookies which seems to help make them more chewy.

Hope you figure it out.

Good Luck!

Fishercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fishercakes Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 7:58pm
post #12 of 26

I have foudn that by adding one box of vanilla pudding to the recipe, it keeps them soft in the middle. My children have devoured these everytime that I make them.

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 8:06pm
post #13 of 26

I also prefer Crisco's Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. Here's the link:

http://crisco.com/scripts/display_recipe.asp?recipe_nbr=1341

vmw774180 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmw774180 Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 8:16pm
post #14 of 26

This is a recipe from ALLRECIPES.com (i love this site). These are great and do not look like the picture. The look so much better.

http://cookie.allrecipes.com/az/BstBigFtChwyChcltChipCki.asp

lionladydi Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 8:23pm
post #15 of 26

I use a Oatmeal Chocolate Chip recipe from Allrecipes.com and it is wonderful. I love this site also. I look at it almost every day for something.

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 9:00pm
post #16 of 26

Mrs. Fields Chocolate Chip Cookies
Be careful not to cook these too long. I know it becomes tempting to keep cooking these because they don't seem to be done after 10 minutes, but they will continue to cook for awhile after you take them out of the oven, and when cool, will be nice and chewy.

1 cup (2 sticks) softened butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 twelve-ounce bags semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, sugars, eggs, and vanilla.

In another bowl, mix together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.

Combine the wet and dry ingredients.

Stir in the chocolate chips.

With your fingers, place golf ball-sized dough portions 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake for 9-10 minutes or just until edges are light brown. Makes 30 cookies.

I prefer to make my cookies smaller, they're almost the size of Subway's. I use the small cookie scoop to make my cookies. They're maybe an inch or so in diameter. I bake those about 8-9 minutes and leave them on the baking sheet for 1 minute. They will look very underbaked! Crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. Everyone loves these cookies! Let me know if you have any questions.

Leslie

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 12:22am
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionladydi

I have used the following recipe since I found it in a cookbook in high school (many years ago). Everyone loves my cc cookies.

1 C granulated sugar
1/2 C brown sugar
2/3 C shortening
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla

2 1/4 C flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
6 oz chocolate chips

I usually bake mine no more than 10 min. as we like gooey cookies (my kids call them squeaky cookies). My daughter makes this and she uses 12 oz. chocolate chips. I also add nuts occasionally.

lionladydi, does this make a soft cookie, it sounds like a good recipe, thanks

irisinbloom Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 12:24am
post #18 of 26
Quote:

1 C granulated sugar
1/2 C brown sugar
2/3 C shortening
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla

2 1/4 C flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
6 oz chocolate chips

lionladydi, does this make a soft cookie, it sounds like a good recipe, thanks

lionladydi Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 12:30am
post #19 of 26

Yes, it makes a soft cookie. I usually make mine with my Kitchen Aid mixer and usually make a double batch. I also make them with peanut butter chips or a mixture of both. Have used butterscotch a few times but butterscotch is not my favorite flavoring! Good luck!

irisinbloom Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 12:44am
post #20 of 26

Thanks can't wait to try them, I usually use my scoop that seems to make them a little softer. Never could hardly tolerate a hard cookieicon_smile.gif

cande Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 10:16pm
post #21 of 26

I lost this thread for a while, but now I found it again icon_redface.gif
WOW!Thanks so much for all of your responses!!
It looks like I'm going to be baking a whole lot of chocolate chip cookies in the coming weeks icon_biggrin.gif

barbara-ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbara-ann Posted 23 Jan 2006 , 10:46pm
post #22 of 26

Hope it's not to late, but my family just loves the Giradelli chocolate chip cookies. I too take them out after 10 minutes of cooking and then let them sit on the cookie sheet for a couple of minutes.

cande Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 12:38am
post #23 of 26

Barbara-ann, thanks for posting! Can you share the recipe with me? I don't think I can get Giradelli chocolate over here (not sure, would have to look) but I am sure there is something comparable that I could substitute.

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 4:47am
post #24 of 26

I've always used the Nestle Tollhouse recipe, too. Anytime I try another one I always get a thumbs down...that's our scientific way of choosing whether or not a recipe is a keeper...lol icon_razz.gif I've used real butter many times, but the cookies would always get close to burning on the bottoms before they were done enough. I, too, like my cookie texture like you described. So, after trial & error, this is what I do: Nestle recipe - I use only Parkay margarine (doesn't tend to burn), make sure the sugar & Parkay are creamed well, add the amnt of flour called for plus another tablespoon full, bake the cookies on a stone, and the most important thing I do is chill the dough first. I don't know why, but for me this really seems to do the trick. They come out perfect every single time. It's the only thing I can bake by heart and know that it will come out right! Only because I've done it soooo many times...lol icon_lol.gif

lionladydi Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 5:18am
post #25 of 26

That's the way I feel about my recipe. I have made them so many times that I can get everything out, stir them up, bake them and have it all cleaned up in less than an hour. Guess it is whatever we get used to. My biggest problem is keeping everyone out of the dough--myself included. My grandkids want me to put dough in a ziplock bag for them to take home and eat. Good thing we don't fear salmonella poisoning! I have always had better luck using Crisco than butter or oleo. I found a new recipe at allrecipe.com that had cc chips, oatmeal, and peanut butter. I tried them over the weekend and they were great. Wish I had put nuts in them and they would have been perfect! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 5:21am
post #26 of 26
Quote:

I found a new recipe at allrecipe.com that had cc chips, oatmeal, and peanut butter. I tried them over the weekend and they were great. Wish I had put nuts in them and they would have been perfect! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Now that sounds delicious! Chocolate chips, oatmeal, peanut butter and pecans....mmmmmm mmmmm! lol icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%