Covering Square Cake W/ Fondant.

Decorating By SugarCoatedCakes Updated 17 Jan 2006 , 9:00pm by mvucic

SugarCoatedCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarCoatedCakes Posted 14 Jan 2006 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 9

I always have trouble with the sides of the cake. How do you make it so smooth? Please help I have a cake to make this week.
Thanks so much in advance

8 replies
thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 12:53am
post #2 of 9

I start on the corners and work across the sides. I really haven't had a problem with square cakes.

Debbie

bulldog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bulldog Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 5:49pm
post #3 of 9

How nice you have not had problems with square cakes. Thanks.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 6:10pm
post #4 of 9

Good Luck to you!

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 9

I have sooo many problems covering round cakes with fondant - but seem to do ok with square cakes - which seems to be totally opposite of what everyone else says! (Leave it to me to be bass-ackwards!) Anyway, what works best for me is to elevate everything. I have the cake on my turntable, I set the turntable on top of a Criscoe can (the can somewhat fits up inside the base of the turntable so it's pretty secure) and then the whole works goes on top of a pedastal cake plate. When I first apply the fondant, it hangs down past the turntable, and then I use my hands to smooth it as I turn the cake, slowly.
Then I use a pizza cutter to cut off the excess, a little bit at a time all the way around.
Like I said, I don't know why, but using this method has helped me cover square cakes pretty nicely. And, I just started making Marshmallow fondant about a month ago! I have been so excited with how well it works, looks, and tastes! (Will be loading some pictures in the next few days!)

bulldog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bulldog Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 8:33pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks so much for the helpful tips! Elevating it does make sense. I will be elevating next time I cover my cakes. icon_biggrin.gif

SugarCoatedCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarCoatedCakes Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 8:48pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you for your help and responses

tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 8:55pm
post #8 of 9

i've also had great luck with fondant and square cakes... i've cut the corners off of my square cakes and it seems to smooth better.... i think i have one in my photos...

just keep pulling and smoothing..

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 9:00pm
post #9 of 9

I would definitely elevate the cake as well. It makes it SO much easier. I still can't belive I covered a cross cake with fondant with such success icon_smile.gif and there's a lot of corners on that thing! (it's in my photos.)

HTH!
Mirjana

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%