My Ok-Will-Do-In-A-Pinch Cake.....

Decorating By GHOST_USER_NAME Updated 4 Apr 2005 , 1:17pm by prettytoya

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 3 Apr 2005 , 1:54am
post #1 of 14

This is the cake I mentioned earlier in the "cracked cake" post.

I normally would have baked it 2 days ago.... no can do! Plumbers still have my house torn apart. I've been decorating around a mess and then moved to the RV to decorate in peace--- then they cut off my water to the RV- so back to the house--- then back to the RV----a trip to the store because the banana cake fell.... had to buy a banana cake mix because they had no blackened bananas at the store (necessary for banana cake).... finally got it made and decorated.

Maybe the cake Gods are not happy with me today for some reason.

I think for all the hassle I had and carrying supplies back and forth, it came out OK- I'm not thrilled though. I can do so much better.

I used Betty Crocker blue spray to cover the top of the only. The swans represent her becoming a very nice young woman.

Here's the link:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&pos=-2519

13 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 3 Apr 2005 , 2:42am
post #2 of 14

I think it is very pretty. I like the way you finshed the buttercream in circles with just a touch of blue. How do you get your leaves to perfectly pointy? Mine tend to break off even after I widen the tip.

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 3 Apr 2005 , 3:34am
post #3 of 14

The leaves for this cake are made from tip 52. No matter what the pattern calls for I use the leaf tips from that range... not those hateful others (357?). I did use those other tips (the ones I can't remember the exact number for) for the swan wings. I use a thin consistency icing for my leaves- just stiff enough to remain standing.

I made the circles using the side scraper (what it's called?) that makes the dents in the icing when you're too lazy to smooth ice it. I thought it gave a nice pond effect.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 3 Apr 2005 , 3:50am
post #4 of 14

Thanks Dawn...I'm going to get a 52 and try it out. My BC was probably too stiff too (about medium). I have a few of those scrapers too. I got'em from a friend who sells Tupperware. It did make a nice rippled effect on top of your cake--I'm putting that idea in mental storage. No guarantees on recall ability but it's there--LOL!

Have you/did you use the Wilton side scraper? I bought one at Hobby Lobby during the 50% off sale. I have yet to use it. I'll open it and look at all those little teeth and all I can think off is putting them in, pulling them out, washing them...why did they have to make that thing so complicated with so many little pieces. It's like a puzzle that thing is.

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 3 Apr 2005 , 4:32am
post #5 of 14

Hey, Cali. I think the cake came out great. I agree with lisa about the rippled effect. It looks so wonderful. I bet that she will love it!
~Tanya

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 3 Apr 2005 , 4:29pm
post #6 of 14

YEP YEP YEP>>>>>I'm loving it....if and when I get the roses down I think I could actually do that one.....its beautiful.....ONCE AGAIN you did great!

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 3 Apr 2005 , 7:30pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali4dawn

This is the cake I mentioned earlier in the "cracked cake" post.

I normally would have baked it 2 days ago.... no can do! Plumbers still have my house torn apart. I've been decorating around a mess and then moved to the RV to decorate in peace--- then they cut off my water to the RV- so back to the house--- then back to the RV----a trip to the store because the banana cake fell.... had to buy a banana cake mix because they had no blackened bananas at the store (necessary for banana cake).... finally got it made and decorated.

Maybe the cake Gods are not happy with me today for some reason.

I think for all the hassle I had and carrying supplies back and forth, it came out OK- I'm not thrilled though. I can do so much better.

I used Betty Crocker blue spray to cover the top of the only. The swans represent her becoming a very nice young woman.

Here's the link:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&pos=-2519

The cake turned out great!

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 3 Apr 2005 , 9:21pm
post #8 of 14

I agree with the others about loving the rippled effect, totally looks like a pond.

I think your cake looks really pretty.

Melissa

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 3 Apr 2005 , 11:13pm
post #9 of 14

It turned out great cali4dawn! I wish mine looked that nice on a good day!

Debbie icon_lol.gif

2cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2cakes Posted 4 Apr 2005 , 12:14am
post #10 of 14

Cali4dawn, your cake came out beatiful and the color blue, which is my favorite color and the white frosting gives the cake a nice touch. The decors are great and I love the BC blue spray. Great job on the ripple effects. I have the sky scraper by Wilton and I used it once and got a little frustrated cause I did not know how to use it. I had some of the ends going in the wrong way and some were in the right way. I only knew when I got different ripple effects. icon_redface.gif I just have to keep praticing. icon_smile.gif

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 4 Apr 2005 , 5:39am
post #11 of 14

Thanks everyone. I was supposed to take picture while making roses but I was totally disgusted with the circumstances when I got to that point. So I apologize to whomever I made that promise to. I think it was flayvurdfun. Anyway... I will do it next time... and will make better roses, too!!

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 4 Apr 2005 , 8:51am
post #12 of 14

icon_cry.gif its ok Cali I understand...I can wait... but I must also say that even your "split second" cakes look like they were planned for weeks... gee I hope I get like that someday! thumbs_up.gif

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 4 Apr 2005 , 1:06pm
post #13 of 14

Nice save! Very pretty, I love your swans.

prettytoya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettytoya Posted 4 Apr 2005 , 1:17pm
post #14 of 14

A beautiful job as usual!

Happy Cake Baking!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%