Best Egg-Free Cake

Baking By MandMCakeDesigns Updated 9 Mar 2007 , 2:52pm by Mae1118

MandMCakeDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandMCakeDesigns Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 12:56am
post #1 of 3

I just received a request for an egg free cake for next week. I want to test it in advance to make sure that it bakes well and tastes good, but there are tons of egg-free recipies on the website. Any reccomendations for a tried and true egg-free yellow (or plain, not chocolate) cake?

Note: it does not have to be milk-free...

Thanks!

2 replies
dwbeall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dwbeall Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 3

hi, mother used to mix and bake this cake in one pan, I think that's why they call it crazy cake. I supose you could sift the dry ingredients together than just try not to over mix it.

In a pan (8ish by 12ish) sift together:
1 1/2 C Flour
1/3 C Cocoa
1/2 t Salt
1 C Sugar
1 t Baking Soda

Make 3 holes in flour mixture and in each hole put 1 of the following:
1 t Vanilla
1 t Vinegar
1/3 C Vegetable oil

Pour 1 C cold water over the entire pan and mix together.

Bake at 350 for about 30 min or until toothpick comes out clean.

You can substitue spices instead of cocoa (1 t Nutmeg, 1/2 t cinnamon, 1/2 t ground clove) for a spice cake.

Mae1118 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mae1118 Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 3

This might be too late for you, but my daughter is allergic to eggs, and I also did not have a good egg-free yellow cake recipe. After a lot of experimentation, I got this to work last night:

DH Classic Yellow cake mix
Ener-G egg replacer (found in health food store) to = 3 eggs
1 c. water
1/3 c. oil
1/2 c. flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 T vinegar

I mixed it for 2 min, like on the package directions. The egg replacer is mixed into warm water. Don't mix it until right when you are ready to use it. There are other brands, but I have never tried them. Also, I don't know if it really matters, but I didn't mix in the vinegar until the last min. of mixing. I just felt like I would get more of the leavening benefits if I waited until the last min. I have only used this with cupcakes so far, but it worked well, and my DH/official taste tester approved! Hope this helps. Sorry my timing couldn't have been better for you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%