Easy Chocolate Transfers For Newbies

Decorating By SquirrellyCakes Updated 29 Nov 2016 , 4:40pm by 2txmedics

chocolate1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolate1 Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 1:30pm
post #31 of 122

Squirrelly Cakes..so good to see your name on the "big Screen" again..once again..you have given us a great idea..and it works..as always..lots simpler than BCT. I can try this one..great to see your name again..Happy Icing, Chocolate1

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 2:03pm
post #32 of 122

Thanks Squirrelly Cakes.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 2:08pm
post #33 of 122

Thanks SQMama!!!!

although....chocoholics beware! there goes the waistline for sure.....cleaning up after making a chocolate transfer is certainly going to be more tasty than after BCT!!!! at least I can manage to get BC into storage containers! this? moment lips, forever hips (thighs, tummy, double chin, fat feet, etc.)

kaecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaecakes Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 2:43pm
post #34 of 122

Squirly I love this, I have not tried FBCT yet but was hopping to this weekend for a BD cake. Now I may have to change to chocolate. Thank you so much.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 6:10pm
post #35 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunnyCakes

beautiful! How did you color the chocolate? Or did you use already-colored melts?

You are VERY talented.

Well thank you, but honestly, these are so easy to do everyone can get good results!
I use coloured melts when I can but mix colours of melts to get some colours or use the Wilton candy colours for others.
The pink squirrel character, for example, the darker pink is the regular pink candy melts, the lighter is white candy melts with one or two of the pink ones mixed in. This works very well. For the fox character, Swiper, I used orange, and brown and mixed in a couple of red candy melts. For Dora's skin tone, I use orange, with white with maybe a half of a chocolate candy melt thrown in.
For black I use the dark brown candy melts and mix in the Wilton Black Candy Colour.
If you are using Americolor, I believe, there is information here on the site where they are selling these colours about how you would use these when colouring chocolate (or candy melt compound). With most regular colouring agents, you have to be careful because some on their own, will cause the chocolate to seize but there are conditioners available.
But mixing the various melts to get other colours is really easy and forgiving because you can always adjust by adding more of another colour of melt. I just find it easier than buying white and colouring them myself but if you are using a better quality white chocolate instead, this would be the way to go.
Hope that helps,
Hugs Squirrelly

SquirrellyCakes Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 9:13pm
post #36 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyladyhelen

Squirrelly, I am assuming that if this is done just like the FBCT and placed directly on the cake, then it will not cut the same as the FBCT. It will be much harder.

Yes that is why when doing one that will be cut through, I go much thinner or it can be removed and broken up. That is why I use it mainly for smaller transfers, but it will work on top.
Hugs SQuirrelly

SquirrellyCakes Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 9:15pm
post #37 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplePetunia

Wonderful job, Squirrelly!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Do these chocolate transfers get wrinkle lines in them from the parchment like the frozen transfers do??
I don't mean the wormy lines in the icing. I mean the wrinkle impressions from the wax paper after it has been frozen??

I hope I'm explaining this alright.

Purple icon_smile.gif

I know what you mean kiddo and no they don't, another bonus, none at all. Sometimes I do rap the plexiglass on the table to get rid of any air bubbles but for this one, I didn't and didn't get any bubbles at all. So less issues.
Hugs Squirrelly

SquirrellyCakes Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 9:20pm
post #38 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Thanks SQMama!!!!

although....chocoholics beware! there goes the waistline for sure.....cleaning up after making a chocolate transfer is certainly going to be more tasty than after BCT!!!! at least I can manage to get BC into storage containers! this? moment lips, forever hips (thighs, tummy, double chin, fat feet, etc.)

Yes, you are right, this is the one drawback! I have a wire basket storage set in my computer room where I keep these melts. In Canada we can get Neilson chocolate melts, a Canuck brand of chocolate bars. I am going to need to get a safe to store them in and not know the combination for them!
Hugs Squirrelly

SquirrellyCakes Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 9:29pm
post #39 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledtoodef

Squirrelly Cakes,

Ok, that cake is awesome. I have a few questions for you before I tempt the transfers.

1) I know you will need the chocolate (brown) melts to make the black. However, if you were just starting out would you just purchase a large amount of the white melts and color them or would you purchase individual colored melts?

2) I purchased every set of the Americolor that they have out on market. Will I be able to color the melts with the regular Americolors. I also purchased all of the Amerimist for the airbrush I am not sure if they would work.

3) Is there a certain brand of melts you like better than others? Where do you like to purchase your melts? I will have to order them via internet, Naples Italy is very limited on their cake decorating supplies.

Thanks for all of your help. I have been afraid to try the FBCT, but I will try this once I know what to purchase....Once again thanks......Kim

1. I would get both. I find that getting the pre-colured ones saves time but then, if you have the white ones on hand, you can always get any colour you want.
2. Actually checked the site info here about the Americolours. Here it is, quoted from the site:
Americolor Soft Gel Paste will color: bread dough, cookie dough, cake batter, whipped toppings and icings, buttercream icing, royal icing, rolled fondant, gum paste, marzipan, compound coating and white chocolate (with addition of Flo-Coat). Use your imagination! Soft Gel Paste will color just about anything you need to color!
So you need to get Flo-Coat and then you can use them.
3. Well I am in Canada, so for the chocolate ones, I get Neilson's, a maker of chocolate bars. For the others I get Merckens because they are cheaper for me than the Wilton ones. You can also use the better quality chocolate wafers like Belgian Chocolate etc. following the manufacturer's directions. So you can use real chocolate according to directions or what is termed white chocolate compound, confectionary covering, candy coating compound - there are different terms used for this product.
I purchase at a store called the Bulk Barn but they are only in certain parts of Canada, from what I understand. You can get these compounds from the usual baking supply stores on the internet. Likely www. sugarcraft.com and the usual ones in the U.K. too.
Hope that helps,
Hugs Squirrelly

SquirrellyCakes Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 9:30pm
post #40 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaecakes

Squirly I love this, I have not tried FBCT yet but was hopping to this weekend for a BD cake. Now I may have to change to chocolate. Thank you so much.

Hi kiddo,
Hope you give it a try, it is so nice to find something that works well, is easy and gives a good result!
Hugs Squirrelly

SquirrellyCakes Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 9:33pm
post #41 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkbunny

I actually use this technique quite a bit. I LOVE it!! And customers LOVE getting chocolate on their cakes!!!

candyladyhelen....you are right, the chocolate gets hard so you can't cut through it like a FBCT. Most times I've used chocolate transfer on top....people usually just break off pieces and put it on their slice of cake.

Hi kiddo, sorry, just realized you already answered this question and I answered it again, sorry about that.
Isn't this fun? Just dawned on me that a lot of people hadn't tried it yet so I thought I would mention it. I just love things like this that are easy to do and give good results.
Hugs SQuirrelly

SquirrellyCakes Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 9:34pm
post #42 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolate1

Squirrelly Cakes..so good to see your name on the "big Screen" again..once again..you have given us a great idea..and it works..as always..lots simpler than BCT. I can try this one..great to see your name again..Happy Icing, Chocolate1

Hi kiddo,
Thanks! Hope you give it a try, it is fun to do and easy to get good results!
Hugs Squirrelly

onebigdogmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onebigdogmama Posted 20 Jan 2006 , 6:20pm
post #43 of 122

Thanks SquirrellyCakes for the tips on the Choco transfer. I did it! I have not done the BCT, yet. But I did this. I still need a few more practice projects and do more readinglooked at the links you put on here too. I just jumped right in and started small. I did a Dr. Pepper can and a Ford Mustang logo for my husbands BD cake. I just love reading everyones posts and seeing the courage everyone has when they do a projectit feels great when you accomplish it whether it comes out right, or not. Heres the picslike I said still need PRACTICE.
LL

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 20 Jan 2006 , 6:38pm
post #44 of 122

icon_eek.gif squirly, you are full of info now arent ya? i really like youd method, and i think i will try this, it looks fun, and the transfers look really good, plus...yummy choc.
thanks for info!!!

melody
if i add any more pounds to hips, i will be coming after you.
haha

Lemondrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemondrop Posted 20 Jan 2006 , 6:46pm
post #45 of 122

Onebigdogmama,

You did an excellent job!!!!

Denise

PurplePetunia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PurplePetunia Posted 21 Jan 2006 , 1:13am
post #46 of 122

Thanks for the reply and info, Squirrelly.
I appreciate all your time and patience on this topic.

Purple. icon_smile.gif

Dbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dbaker Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 3:19am
post #47 of 122

icon_smile.gif I really want to thank you for the tips. I think I will use a layer cake and try to make the "chocolate stand-ups" of pooh and a honey pot and such. I never thought of that! Thanks again! I'll let you know how it turned out! Denise

SquirrellyCakes Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 3:23am
post #48 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbaker

icon_smile.gif I really want to thank you for the tips. I think I will use a layer cake and try to make the "chocolate stand-ups" of pooh and a honey pot and such. I never thought of that! Thanks again! I'll let you know how it turned out! Denise

And if you want, you can put the cookie stick or popsicle stick on the back. Just place it and pour a little more melted candymelts over the area where the stick is, then if you like, you can stand up a figure on the top of the cake too.
Hugs Squirrelly

caketease Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caketease Posted 16 Feb 2006 , 12:41am
post #49 of 122

I must say that I LOVE this cake! It is too cute. I would have never thought of using chocolate melts for this. I would like to try this technique but I have a a few questions. How do you get the front of them to shine? After adding the stick, how do you get the back of the transfer smooth? I can't wait to try them. Thank you in advance!! icon_razz.gif

bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 16 Feb 2006 , 3:01am
post #50 of 122

well, well, squirrelly....... finally I get to see another one of your cakes!!!! This makes, like, only the second one I've seen and of course it is awesome!!! How did I miss this post?? icon_eek.gif

I have to do the Methodist symbol (cross and flame) on a cake this weekend and I was trying to figure out how to incorporate chocolate covered strawberries and now this is it! I can do this in brown and red chocolates, the writing in chocolate and the the choco covered strawberries! Yea! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for posting this!!!! Muah!

bj icon_wink.gif

Any thoughts on why just regular chocolate chips melted do not work? I tried making spider webs with them and they never did get hard. Thoughts?

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 16 Feb 2006 , 4:05am
post #51 of 122

Thanks for sharing this! One more thing to add to my list of things to try! I'm not real fond of the frozen buttercream transfer idea, but this chocolate transfer looks like it would be pretty cool... and tasty! icon_lol.gif

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 16 Feb 2006 , 4:15am
post #52 of 122

I did a chocolate transfer of a baby gorilla today. It was very easy and turned out great. I will post pictures when the cake is done. I really enjoyed using the candy melts (even though I made a big mess). I think this is easier than the FBCT because there is less worry about the design coming out smooth on the front. The only thing I need to tweak is rapping lightly on the counter to release the air bubbles between colors.

Cindy

katleg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katleg Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 3:25am
post #53 of 122

ive been wondering about this! thanks for the link!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 3:55am
post #54 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by caketease

I must say that I LOVE this cake! It is too cute. I would have never thought of using chocolate melts for this. I would like to try this technique but I have a a few questions. How do you get the front of them to shine? After adding the stick, how do you get the back of the transfer smooth? I can't wait to try them. Thank you in advance!! icon_razz.gif

Just wanted to say, a good cake pal of mine did her Dora with transfers, she started off doing them in royal but had problems with them and we had suggested the chocolate transfers. She goes by the name of Artlover and was most helpful in pointing me in the right direction to find the pictures when I made my first Dora, this was my second with more characters. The first was inspired by her cake!
They just shine on their own when they harden up. Well to get the back smooth, you do have to rap the transfer on the work surface somewhat but it will rarely be perfect, but you don't see that. i lift the plexiglass slightly and rap it on the table.
Hugs Squirrelly

SquirrellyCakes Posted 17 Feb 2006 , 4:23am
post #55 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjfranco

well, well, squirrelly....... finally I get to see another one of your cakes!!!! This makes, like, only the second one I've seen and of course it is awesome!!! How did I miss this post?? icon_eek.gif

I have to do the Methodist symbol (cross and flame) on a cake this weekend and I was trying to figure out how to incorporate chocolate covered strawberries and now this is it! I can do this in brown and red chocolates, the writing in chocolate and the the choco covered strawberries! Yea! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for posting this!!!! Muah!

bj icon_wink.gif

Any thoughts on why just regular chocolate chips melted do not work? I tried making spider webs with them and they never did get hard. Thoughts?

I have used them to dip strawberries and they worked ok for that but for transfers, no , I would stick to the melted candy melts or tempered chocolate because they often don't set up right.
Hugs Squirrelly

klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 19 Feb 2006 , 10:16pm
post #56 of 122

i love this method - it is especially wonderful when you are using black as black candy doesn't 'bleed' like buttercream does....

bjfranco Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 12:49am
post #57 of 122

Well I did the transfer for the cross and flame. Turned out pretty good. Next time I will make sure that I have red cany melts. Went to four different stores and couldn't find red candy melts. Then I thought Valentine's Day, duh???!!?? So, I had to use red Wilton coloring. Thank God the chocolate did not seize up on me.

I made two crosses in case the first one broke or did not turn out as good or as easy as you said (yes, I was skeptical icon_biggrin.gif ) but the first one turned out perfect! Next time I will make perfectly sure there are no are bubbles.

Ignore the crooked top cake. The cake slid forward on the 50 mile car trip but I was able to cover it up with choco cov strawberries.

Thanks again! Will use this technique again without a doubt!

bj icon_wink.gif
LL

gailsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gailsgoodies Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 12:57am
post #58 of 122

Wow, BJ your cake is AWESOME!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 1:00am
post #59 of 122

Gee, this is an elegant cake kiddo, the cross looks good too. But the whole cake is lovely, just enough decoration to make it look classy! Sorry about the cake slide, must have been a cake with some Olympic Spirit, it wanted to do downhill! But like a good decorator, you figured out a way to cover up, haha, isn't that half of cake decorating? It looks so appetizing too, yummy!
Hugs Squirrelly

bjfranco Posted 20 Feb 2006 , 1:42am
post #60 of 122

Thanks Gail!

Thanks Squirrelly! ~ Good one about the Olympic Spirit. icon_lol.gif I would give this one a Silver.

I cut my support dowels too tall. The upper tier was resting more on the dowels than on the cake. So driving to New Orleans and our wonderful pot holed street here......... I knew it when I placed the dowels but stupid me thought it would be "ok"!! icon_redface.gif When will I learn...... ugh.

bj icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%