Starburst - Tootsie Roll Candy Rose

Decorating By SpeckledFaceGrace Updated 11 Jan 2006 , 3:51pm by sue_dye

SpeckledFaceGrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpeckledFaceGrace Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 11:23am
post #1 of 13

I have decided to practice my rose making and was wondering if anyone had directions on how to make roses and other flowers out of Tootsie Rolls or Starburst. (this would be cheaper beings I have a ton laying around the house from a recent get-together) I remeber seeing this on the internet and now of course I can't find it icon_cry.gif Thank you all so much for all the help in the past, I GREATLY appreciate it!!! icon_biggrin.gif Have a great day!!!

12 replies
Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 11:41am
post #2 of 13

For practice you should try what I did. Get some play-doh and make roses or whatever else you want to practice making icon_smile.gif It will last a long time and you can reuse it as often as you like!

BklynSuze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BklynSuze Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 12:38pm
post #3 of 13

I have a bubble gum rose in my gallery..here's the link...http://www.superbowl.com/

I haven't made roses from tootsie rolls but imagine you can follow the same steps as given in the link

Lazy_Susan Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 12:41pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteCookie

I have a bubble gum rose in my gallery..here's the link...http://www.superbowl.com/

Ummmmm... That's a link to the Super Bowl! lol I looked but couldn't find a bubble gum rose.. icon_wink.gif

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 1:05pm
post #5 of 13
BklynSuze Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 2:58pm
post #6 of 13

LOL..omg sooo sorry..i had the bubble gum link opened..not sure how the other link attached..research for a cake LOL

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 3:07pm
post #7 of 13

I used starburst one time for a hamburger cake that I made. I put the starburst in the microwave for just a few seconds to soften them up. I worked great. I was able to roll the yellow out for cheese slices and ruffle the green to resemble lettuce. Just be careful. It doesn't take long to soften.

BklynSuze Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 3:12pm
post #8 of 13

price..how did it taste with the cake? I'm planning to make a burger and fries one of these days and that sounds super simple to use the candies

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 3:17pm
post #9 of 13

I took the candy off of mine. (Not much on starburst!) The kids loved it. They thought it was the greatest thing!

CakemanOH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemanOH Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 3:20pm
post #10 of 13

I use hershey kisses as the bases to my roses. People rave about them even though they are so simple.

sue_dye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sue_dye Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 3:39pm
post #11 of 13

You make them just like the candy clay rose in the Wilton year books. I used about two pieces for a rose. I just did one just to see how they would come out . Here is the one I did.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=sue_dye&cat=0&pos=27

Lazy_Susan Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 3:48pm
post #12 of 13

Does using the candy make your fingers sticky? I hate sticky fingers but the rose was very pretty and I may make the sacrifice lol icon_smile.gif

sue_dye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sue_dye Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 3:51pm
post #13 of 13

Use a little corn starch and you should be fine..... Thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%