Prices On Website??

Business By sugartopped Updated 18 Jan 2006 , 10:00am by boonenati

sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 10 Jan 2006 , 4:02pm
post #1 of 13

Hey all, I've been working on my website w/my husband and had a question about what I've seen some others do. I've been looking at individual/personal websites and was wondering if prices should be put on the website. I have noticed most people DON'T!! Was just wondering what the reasoning/advantages would be to either way. I'm leaning towards putting the prices on my website, I'm figuring I want people to know right away what my prices are. But just wanted to see what you guys think.....since alot of you have your own websites.

Any suggestions??
Thanks,
Christine

12 replies
Tuggy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tuggy Posted 10 Jan 2006 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 13

Hi Christine,

I have just put the following on my side:

Unfortunately there is no set price list, as each and every cake is different and designed especially to meet your needs. I can tell you the approximate price of your cake once we have discussed what it is you want.

I found out that customers tend to remember the lowest price mentioned. So if I told them prices start at 3 Euro per person they started to argue, after selcting a cake covered with gum paste roses.

So if they ask for prices I tell them an average price and point out what would be more/or less and why.

This way work good for me, but I´m really looking forward to hear other views.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 10 Jan 2006 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 13

I don't have prices on mine because cakes vary in complexity... it all depends on what flavor, what ingredients are needed, fillings, size, delivery location... You could put a price of what you charged for cakes in the past, however, if prices of your ingredients should go up, you'd have to remember to change it otherwise you'd be underpricing your cakes... I started to put prices on mine and decided against it .. I guess it's a matter of preference really. Good luck with your website!!

cande Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cande Posted 10 Jan 2006 , 5:34pm
post #4 of 13

I think it depends on how competitive your market is.

But, I would definitely put a ball park figure on your prices per serving and/or occasion cakes (with the disclaimer that prices vary according to decorations, servings, flavors, etc. and that you can work within the person's budget, blah blah).

When I was looking for a baker for my wedding cake, the most frustrating thing was not having any idea what the price ranges for the cakes on the websites were. It wasted a lot of (everyone's) time and was just annoying. People that don't bake or decorate really don't have any idea how much time or effort goes into the cake and therefore cannot adequately estimate an approximate cost for a cake; thus, most think all cakes should cost what they cost at WalMart or Costco, etc. I think it saves everyone involved a lot of hassle if there is at least a price range or ball park price listed.

Just my $0.02

MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 10 Jan 2006 , 5:46pm
post #5 of 13

No $$ on my site either, for the same reasons as above! You could post a couple of "sample" prices (make sure you're very specific about the size of cake, and what's included!) or a range of prices per serving (again, with the disclaimers recommended above!) Use the disclaimers, even if you don't think you'll deviate from the lsted price... it leaves you the option if somebody want to order something really OTT!

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 10 Jan 2006 , 6:18pm
post #6 of 13

I put the price per slice of wedding cakes on my site...in both Buttercream and Fondant and the price for each cupcake on a Cupcake Tower.

I also show what cake flavours are more expensive (by 25 cents per slice), and that we can add fresh berries/nuts/praline/curds (by 25 cents per slice), etc.

I very infrequently get bothered with "how much is this? how much would a wedding of 100 cost?" They can answer their own questions.

I think not putting your prices makes brides/grooms feel as if you are trying to "lure" them in and then surprise them with a cost. (That's NOT how I feel, but what brides have told me.)

My mum always told me "If you have to ask the price, you probably can't afford it" so I'm wary of not posting the dollar amounts!! icon_rolleyes.gif

As for birthday cakes, that's a different matter. I've put an "inquire for each specialty cake size/price" on my website for those.

rainbowz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbowz Posted 10 Jan 2006 , 6:51pm
post #7 of 13

If you don't choose to go with the per slice plus $ per extra as Antonia74 suggests - this way is likely the most specific - you might instead consider a "ballpark" range of prices with a description of what a simple cake might include for $X to a sample of a more complex cake and it's $XXX price so they aren't looking and expecting WalMart prices.

But keep in mind: being as it's a website and you're not printing hard copies, you can always change it any time you want if you find method one doesn't work and switch to method two. You have the option of trying several different methods and seeing which works best for you. If it were a printed ad, you might refrain as prices could fluctuate and you've got a year's worth of flyers to go through; being on the web, you have the luxury of modifying the prices at any time it's necessary.

sugartopped Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 6:59pm
post #8 of 13

Thanks everyone, I think I'm going to go ahead and list my prices on the website, but for my printed advertisements I'll just say check out website or call.

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 7:16pm
post #9 of 13

Maybe you could just say "Starting at $??? per person/slice........" That way you can explain the difference between a plain old buttercream, or something with gum paste flowers, etc!

sugartopped Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 7:25pm
post #10 of 13

i have actually sat down and figured out how much i will charge for each 'extra' item.......fondant, ital. merg. basketweave, fondant decorations, gumpaste, edible image, chocolate transfers, etc. and i plan to just charge per slice.......and the size of the cake will be determined by the number of servings needed and the design request. i think this leaves my options of offering more variety and styles of cake to my customers....and i won't be locked into doing just sheet cakes!!! so far this has worked and haven't had any complaints.

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 10:33pm
post #11 of 13

I can't remember the wording, but the sites with prices pretty much said we offer white, chocolate, marble, red velvet cake flavors with buttercream roses start at $3 slice. Other flavors .50 slice extra. Additional decorations and custom designs start at .50 slice extra.

It shouldn't be a great mystery to a potential customer whether or not they can afford a standard cake with minimal decorations. Also, be sure to state delivery fees, deposit, rental fees, cancellation policy and minimum ordering time.

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 17 Jan 2006 , 5:09pm
post #12 of 13

I do list my prices on my website, and my business cards. Here's my take on it. I like to frequent flea markets & craft shows. I prefer a table that has the prices marked on them. I don't want to have to stop and ask the prices. I list them because it does weed out those people who are on a budget and it allows them to decide if they want to pursue my site.

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 10:00am
post #13 of 13

I have prices on all my cakes so people can get an idea of what i charge. Each cake states what type of cake it is, what fillings it has, how many servings you can get and the price. I dont mind changing my prices as things go up, because i update my website almost on a weekly basis, it's an obsession that is almost as bad as cakes. Well not as bad, but *almost*.
Anyway my webpage is in disarray at the moment after the last bout of changes, going to do something to it soon.
Nati
PS: Dont' forget my prices are in AU $$$

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%