Not Quite For Cakes

Decorating By Book119 Updated 9 Jan 2006 , 2:22am by SheilaF

Book119 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Book119 Posted 8 Jan 2006 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone! I was wondering what everyone uses for dipping chocolate. One person told me to use "choc. bark" but I can't find any where I live. I have bittersweet chocolate, what can I add to it to dip pretzels, strawberries.....?

TIA!
Becca

5 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 Jan 2006 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 6

You can find chocolate at Walmart, or any craft store. Also sometimes in the baking aisle of a grocery store.

If not, there are many places online you can order it....or, I suppose, just melt a big Hershey bar or something! icon_smile.gif

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 8 Jan 2006 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 6

Chocolate bark is in the baking aisle of the grocery store, near the baking chocolate bars. You can melt it in the microwave or in a double boiler, and you probably won't need to add anything to it to make it a nice liquid consistency, but if you do feel the need to thin it out, add tiny bits of Crisco until it is what you like the feel of. Under no circumstances add water to thin it.

Candy Melts (Wilton) are available at craft stores. They're easy to use and melt the same way as you would bark.

Deanna

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Jan 2006 , 10:41pm
post #4 of 6

It is also called Almond Bark, which comes in white or chocolate.

I ususually use Candy Melts when dipping things. There are several brands of it. Wilton's can be found at Walmart (in the craft section) or at Michaels. Make N Mold is sold at Hobby Lobby. There are also some you can get from online.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 9 Jan 2006 , 1:33am
post #5 of 6

i know i know ya'll think i'm like really cheap but hey, i don't particularly like the idea of driving for an hour just to find the right dipping chocolate. I live in BFE (tongue planted firmly in cheek) so i have to make due with what i have. I don't like the fakee taste of the almond bark they sell at the grocery store but i do like the taste of semi-sweet chocolate chips. So when i want to make my own dipping chocolate i just add a coupla teaspoons of shortening to an 8 oz. bag of chocolate that is melted and stir it till it's smooth. Makes it the right concistency and dries to a nice shell.
I like bein frugal, saves me money so i can buy marshmallows. hehehehe lol!!!

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 9 Jan 2006 , 2:22am
post #6 of 6

I wish I had known not to add water to the chocolate before I tried that this past month. I didn't realize you could add crisco though. Now I'll know for next time I try that. what a mess.......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%