How Do I Pair Up Cakes & Fillings?

Decorating By heystopthatnow Updated 2 Mar 2007 , 1:42pm by indydebi

heystopthatnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heystopthatnow Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 7:05am
post #1 of 7

Hi,
every time I make a cake, I always stress out over pairing cakes and fillings. It's now to a point where because I want so perfectly to match up the right cake with the right filling for the RIGHT OCCASION, and I feel that I don't know how, I dream about my friends pretending to like the cake and secretly hating'em. For my son's 1 year b-day, I made a 3 tiered fondant covered cake. I literally deliberated which cake flavor & filling I should make but only came out with a weird combo. The smallest being carrot cake, the middle being chocolate banana cake, and the largest being orange dreamsicle cake...each filled with walnut cream cheese filling. No one knew that each tier was a different cake because they were only able to see what they were given...but still, it was a weird combo.
NOW, I'm trying to make a cake for a friend's baby shower this weekend. I already have a design in mind but I'm not sure what kind of cake flavor suits a baby shower! The cake itself will be a chic sheet cake with a pale sage colored buttercream with accented shades of green for decorating.
Because the exterior of the cake is green, I'm thinking of maybe making the inside green...like pistachio flavored cake with chocolate satin filling?
or I might just forget about it being green.
Can you guys help me put together a good tasty combo???
My husband liked the idea of banana flavored cake with cream cheese frosting/filling...or make the orange dreamsicle cake again...but I don't want to...or maybe just stick wiht white almond sour cream cake with raspberry mousse filling??????????
augh~~~~~~~~~
please help me...ANY suggestions would be appreciated!!!!!
Thanks

6 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 7:23am
post #2 of 7

I don't think a green cake interior is such a good idea. Lots of adults find it unpleasant to eat strange colored food. Now for kids, they would probably love it.

As for flavors, unless you know a combination works, or a customer requests something, I would stay with the regular combinations. I personally don't like banana 'flavored' anything.

raspberry is wonderful with white, yellow or chocolate cake, as is strawberry, but it is a bit sweeter.

lemon with white or yellow
Orange with white or yellow, and in the right flavors w/chocolate

There isn't anything wrong with a 'typical' combination, especially if the cake is delicious.

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 7

I have seem to found a filling that people LOVE! I use the cheesecake Mousse filling from here!

JavaJunkieChrissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 7

The most popular flavors filling that I do is by far strawberry mousse.....I'm sick of making it!! LOL!!

I put the mousse with yellow, butter, or white cake. You could make a Neopolotian Cake......yellow or white cake with dark chocolate and layer inbetween with strawberry mousse. That's always nice. You could also use rasberries instead of strawberries.

I like lemon cake with cheesecake filling....that's yummy.

You could also make the banana cake and do a walnut filling....be careful of allergies with this one.

The orange cream cake would be nice with a vanilla Bavarian cream.

You could also make a strawberry flavored cake and fill it with lemon mousse.

The ideas are countless. Just think about the types of food that you think taste nice. Like banana and strawberry........they are nice together. You could do a banana cake and fill it with strawberry mousse.

Sometimes the nicest cake are simple flavors put together that compliment eachother.

I hope this helps you out!

Blessings to you,

Chrissy

heystopthatnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heystopthatnow Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 9:43am
post #5 of 7

Hi there,
Thanks for all the wonderful ideas! I decided to do something similar to martha stewart's white chocolate pistachio cake (http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=recipe3090039&site=weddings).
Here's what the cake will be:
cake: White almond sour cream wedding cake (from recipezzar.com)
Pistachio cream: JELLO's pistachio pudding w/heavy cream
cheesecake mousse: silvercat's recommendation
Buttercream: wilton' vanilla buttercream recipe.
Quick question, would Martha Stewart's vanilla buttercream recipe be safe for pregnant & nursing moms to eat? http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=recipe3090019&site=weddings
I would like to try making it and it does heat the yolk mixture so I'm not sure...Well, to be on the safe side, I'll just skip it this time.

So far...
Thursday night: baked cake & made pistachio cream.

tomorrow morning...need to make buttercream & cheesecake mousse.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 1:08pm
post #6 of 7

For some reason I usually think of something "light" for a baby shower. Maybe because it is usually during the day time. I think a white cake or yellow or would be good. I love white with lemon or raspberry.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 1:42pm
post #7 of 7

I think you're overthinking it. Unless the customer specifically asked for (what I would call) a "weird" cake combination, I wouldn't try to come up with so many exotic combinations.

One of my most complimentary stories was the bride who came down from Chicago and scheduled all 7 of her cake tastings in one day. I was her last one. I was sure her taste buds would be burned out. She told me some of the cakes she had sampled that day were amaretta flavored and other exotic flavors. I served her white cake with white icing. Her email to me later confirmed that I had "won" her wedding cake business and they had made that decision between my front door and their car.

For all of the exotic and wild flavors they had tasted that day, they chose the simplistic regular white cake with white icing. They just wanted a cake that tasted good.

I would suggest that you stop stressing yourself out over it. If they ask for it, great ... show 'em what you can do! But if you're stressing for stressing's sake ..... icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%