I Need Some Advice!

Decorating By ksimp6577 Updated 1 Mar 2007 , 2:20am by bethola

ksimp6577 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksimp6577 Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:51am
post #1 of 7

I'm doing my first groom's cake in May. The bride isn't getting the wedding cake from me, (I didn't know her when she ordered the wedding cake) so I'm not going to give any sort of deal on the price. It's based on the attached picture, (but with several small fish coming out instead of one big fish) and it's to serve 150 people. I'll be doing buttercream frosting, cookies and cream filling, chocolate cake, and obviously lots of fondant and luster dust. I'm having trouble determining what to charge her. For my basic pricing (birthdays, etc.) I start my pricing at $1.85 per serving. I'm thinking $3.50-$4 per serving for this bad boy? That would be $525-$600. I'm outside of Nashville, if that matters. Thanks for any advice!!
LL

6 replies
crumbscakeartistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbscakeartistry Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:57am
post #2 of 7

This is a Collette Peter's cake? It looks familiar. I think your price sounds reasonable. That cake is a ton of work. Are you handpaiting or airbrushing?

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:58am
post #3 of 7

Oh yea at LEAST 4.00 per serving you may even get more. Those little fish are going to be a lot of work! It's a lot of work! I watched when Colette did it on Food Network Challenge! I LOVE it! My hubby even loved it!

Now, are you outside Nashville toward KY?

Beth in Madisonville, KY

ksimp6577 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksimp6577 Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 2:04am
post #4 of 7

I have never airbrushed, but I think I should learn how before I do this cake!!! LOL! It is a Colette cake. Am I crazy!?

Beth, I'm just south of Nashville, near Murfreesboro.

diperez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diperez Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 2:05am
post #5 of 7

Definitely with the detail that is involved in this cake your quote looks good. There are many details in this cake, and you don't want to give your work away. I've had professional bakers tell me that we should never sell cakes for less then 3.50 a piece, especially when they are made of fondant! With the amount of detail on this cake, I'd go for the $4 per piece. Never underestimate your work!!!

Best of luck!

Di

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 2:15am
post #6 of 7

I made a very simple version of this cake awhile back! I would have added more details but I simply ran out of time to make the stuff. It really wasn't too bad to make. You have to look at the prices in your area to see if can support $3.50-4. You also need to look at what it's going to cost you. I use mmf so it's much cheaper than using a pre-made product.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 2:20am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksimp6577

I have never airbrushed, but I think I should learn how before I do this cake!!! LOL! It is a Colette cake. Am I crazy!?

Beth, I'm just south of Nashville, near Murfreesboro.

You're not CRAZY.....You're SOUTHERN!! LOLL

Really, I think if you "attack" this cake one detail at a time....it will be a challenge....but, DEFINITELY do-able.

Good Luck and post a pic!

PS I KNOW Murfreesboro!!

Beth in KY

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%