Anyone Ever Make Fortune Cookies?

Baking By cakeatopia Updated 23 Oct 2007 , 3:11pm by karapags

cakeatopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatopia Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:01am
post #1 of 13

I had an idea for my son's teachers for May--baskets of fortune cookies with personalized fortunes. I could buy fortune cookies locally and stuff with my fortunes, but they are kinda bland. And they like my cookies. Love the NFSC recipe but have not tried to see how elastic it would be in order to fold over the cookie and then round them out. Or would they end up baking into blobs.

Just playing around with some ideas. The teachers have always commented on the creative cookies they get from me. Well, now I want to see if my idea can be done.

Anyone?

12 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:04am
post #2 of 13

In order to fold the cookie, you need a flexible product that cools quickly to hold the shape. You can use some of the lace cookie recipes, or a batter for tuille cookies. And, I think Martha Stewart may have a recipe for fortune cookies.

Keep in mind, you have to work quickly, with these are VERY hot. I have made them a couple of times, but it was a pain, literally.

cakeatopia Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:21am
post #3 of 13

Thanks JoAnn,
I get these crazy ideas--lol. I was thinking more along the lines of have the cookie "folded" and then baking it. Maybe make a cookie base and then make fondant fortune cookies as a decoration on top.

Still trying to figure this out. Thanks for the reply. icon_smile.gif

mawagner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mawagner Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 11:52am
post #4 of 13

I made these a couple of times...and they were a pain because you can't you do very many at once, but people loved them. I have a couple of different recipes...let me know if you want them.

cryssi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cryssi Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 13

I made these once years ago...what a pain and they never come out perfectly...

nfsc wouldn't work due to the type of cookie it is...if you tried to bend it, it would break.

wysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wysmommy Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 6:27pm
post #6 of 13

I made giant ones one year and they came out great! The only thing is you will burn the daylights out of your fingertips. When you make the batter, just put a few in the oven at at time. (we actually just did this in culinary school yesterday with a different folded cookie). It worked great!

Good Luck!

Have Fun!
-Michelle

wanda45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wanda45 Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 6:31pm
post #7 of 13

I just learned how to do these about two weeks ago. Yes, they are time consuming but I really enjoyed doing them and hubby loved them! (he said i didn't have to fold his...he loved the cookie taste) My 12 year old granddaughter even folded some. She did a great job. I think you should give them a try. I gave my first batch to my neices for valentines day (ages 6 and 7) and they loved them.

cakeatopia Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 11:13pm
post #8 of 13

wanda45 and wysmommy--any chance for the recipe you guys used????? icon_smile.gif

Wysmommy--you are doing my dream--I'd love to go to culinary school, but at 40--this dream may have been dreamt too late icon_sad.gif And plus, I am such a picky eater--wonder if I'd flunk since I would not want to eat certain things--lol

wanda45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wanda45 Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 1:28pm
post #9 of 13

Cakeatopia,
I hope you enjoy making these. If you have any questions about folding them please feel free to PM me!

Fortune Cookies
2 egg whites
1/3 cup sugar
4 tablespoons melted butter, cooled
1/2 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoons almond extract
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
2 1/2 by 1/2-inch fortune strips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a cookie sheet thoroughly. Whip the egg whites on low speed until light and foamy. Blend in the sugar and continue to beat until soft peaks form.

Pour in the melted butter, flour, salt, and extracts; mix until well combined. Drop a tablespoon of the batter onto the prepared cookie sheet. Using the back of a spoon, spread the batter evenly into very thin 3-inch rounds. Because you must work quickly to shape these cookies, bake just 3 at a time.
Bake for about 5 to 8 minutes or until the edges are a light golden color. Remove the cookies with a spatula and place on a work surface. Lay a fortune in the lower middle of the cookie, and fold in half to make a semi-circle. Bend the edges up toward each other to make a crescent. Drag the crease across the rim of a small measuring cup, with the ends facing down. Cool in mini muffin tins to hold shape until crisp.

wysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wysmommy Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 1:37pm
post #10 of 13

cake- I'm 32 and I just started. The oldest person in my program is 51! It's never too late! The program I'm in is just to be a pastry chef, so there's no eating sketchy stuff. I'm a vegetarian I totally understand!

GO FOR IT!

ps...the recipe I used was in Martha Stewart WAAAAAAY back. I'm sure it's still around the web somewhere!

cakeatopia Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 11:29pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks everyone. I will try these soon. Also, thanks for the recipes via email--I am so sorry I had not thanked everyone earlier.

I may just have to do the culinary school thing inthe future. I wish I owuld have done that while I was teaching.

cakeatopia Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 11:29pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks everyone. I will try these soon. Also, thanks for the recipes via email--I am so sorry I had not thanked everyone earlier.

I may just have to do the culinary school thing inthe future. I wish I owuld have done that while I was teaching.

karapags Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karapags Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 3:11pm
post #13 of 13

Have to try these.

Kara

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%