Maybe It's Me But . . . Cake Balls I Don't Really Like

Decorating By jessireb Updated 1 Mar 2007 , 1:07am by lizzard14

jessireb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessireb Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 32

I have attempted to make cake balls on several different occasions. Maybe I am not doing it right. Everyone here raves on how great they are and that they taste so good. Well I can't complain on the taste, but the texture always seems like chewy cookie dough. I have tried dipping them in chocolate, but they are just like chewy chocolate covered dough balls. I put powdered sugar on them and it just melts into a sugary mess. I would really love to include these with the cake orders when I have left over trimmings just as a little something special. But I don't want to serve something that well for lack of better words "sucks".

I guess I am asking for others opinions on the texture of theirs so I know if I am doing it wrong or it is just me.

31 replies
NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 32

sounds like your using to much liquid. I just use enough to get the cake to stick together. If it is a moist cake to begin with you need very little binder.

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 5:21pm
post #3 of 32

Well I have only tried cake balls once, and to me the ones I made were almost classified as non-edible. They were sticky without any p.s. so I put some p.s. on them and it just made them worse! I was so excited to make these at christmas time and by the time I was done with them I was in tears .. so I would really like to know if there are any good hints out there as well!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 32

I don't think it needs much liquid at all...actually if I stick my cake in a mixer, it is usually so moist it mushes together on its own. If I add much more of anything, it turns gross. One time I added preserves and it turned into a mushy grainy mess!

Next time I make them, I'll probably not use anything extra in the cake and see how that works.

jessireb Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 5:26pm
post #5 of 32

I have tried very little liquid to alot. I guess I need to know what the texture is supposed to be like. When I mix them should they form a large ball or should the cake be really crumbly? Mine always seem to be like bread dough after it is all mixed (you know like when it doesn't stick to the side of the mixing bowl)

sun33082 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sun33082 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 5:29pm
post #6 of 32

I add about 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup liquid to a full cake mix. When I made my first batch, I didn't care for them much at all, but I brought them to work anyway and people loved them!

And now I get orders for them all the time.

Go figure.

Kitagrl Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 5:30pm
post #7 of 32

I will say they are a bit too rich for me...

Also, the cake does seem doughy to begin with but seemed like the next day after I made them, they tasted more like "cake".

Maybe try without adding any liquid, and then let them sit overnight (not refrigerated) and see what they taste like. Also stop mixing before it gets too doughy...once it seems sticky enough to make a ball, stop.

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 5:33pm
post #8 of 32

I mix by hand so I stop adding liquid when the cake is still crummy but will compress into balls with my hand. My end texture is somewhere between a dense cake and a moist brownie.

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 5:35pm
post #9 of 32

I'm so glad I'm not the only one!! I made these once, spent good money on chocolate to dip them in and they were awful, IMO! I used coffee syup to bind and I thought they were just a doughy mess. I didn't like the texture or the taste. From now on, my family just eats the scraps with ice cream! I give up on cake balls! Give me a chocolate truffle anytime!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 5:36pm
post #10 of 32

After you mix it together it should be like dry cookie dough or like brownies. Then you still have to let them sit at room temp or in the fridge to dry out some. If you make them a little to moist let them dry out for a few hours at room temp then a couple of hours in the fridge. If they are to dry, you will not be able to roll them into a ball.

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 5:40pm
post #11 of 32

I made them once. The kids liked them, but I thought they tasted like dense raw flavored cake dough. Kind of like cold HEAVY brownies that were really really dense. Well, maybe if I make them again, I won't use any liquid. I'll try that and see what happens.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 5:43pm
post #12 of 32

The only way ANYONE here will touch those things is if there's NO added liquid, and dipped in Ghirardelli chocolate! I made some with a german chocolate cake that I had left over, that was very moist to start with (I add the coconut pecan icing in with my mix), and everyone loved them. As soon as I add any liquid at all, my kids won't even touch them. They even say they taste like already chewed cake!

Kitagrl Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 5:45pm
post #13 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1977

The only way ANYONE here will touch those things is if there's NO added liquid, and dipped in Ghirardelli chocolate! I made some with a german chocolate cake that I had left over, that was very moist to start with (I add the coconut pecan icing in with my mix), and everyone loved them. As soon as I add any liquid at all, my kids won't even touch them. They even say they taste like already chewed cake!

LOL! Already chewed cake...yup! Yours sound really good tho...

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 5:46pm
post #14 of 32

It's not just you. I think the texture is nasty.

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 5:49pm
post #15 of 32

I made them once and I didn't like them either. Mushy and too sweet. I'm sure it was because I added all the liquid called for in the recipe and the cake was made from a moist cake mix. Not only that, I was hoping they were going to be like donut holes except they would be cake. It was hoping for a quick treat to just pop into your mouth. I guess if you like truffles you would probably like cake balls. One day I'll have to play around with this idea to see if I can make them to be more of a cake consistency.

jen1977 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 5:51pm
post #16 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Quote:

LOL! Already chewed cake...yup! Yours sound really good tho...

Well, you know....whan a kid won't eat something sweet and says it tastes like it's already been chewed, I take their word for it, lol.

mlynnb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlynnb Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 5:52pm
post #17 of 32

I'm not a huge fan either.....I didn't add any liquid at all and dipped them in chocolate and I didn't care for the texture or how unbelievably sweet they were! Even my husband, who has the most giantic sweet tooth of anyone I know thought they were too sweet. icon_eek.gif

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 5:54pm
post #18 of 32
Quote:

I make my German choc balls the same way.

jessireb Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 5:57pm
post #19 of 32

Well now I feel better that it isn't just me. My DH likes to scarf up the cake as I trim away. He prefers me to trim while it is still hot, but there are just times when you can't do that. If I don't want him around while decorating, I will let the cake completely cool. If I am need of a little companionship I will start to level the cake while warm and he hangs around just enough for small chit chat. AHHH a method to my madness!!!!

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 6:01pm
post #20 of 32

I've only made them once and we all really liked them. I used scraps from a butterpecan cake (with extender and doctored with chopped pecans) I did not use any liquid, I used leftover thinned buttercream. I also did not break them up very fine at all. I left some medium sized pieces, It broke up a little more as I mixed in buttercream. I did not coat them in anything. We ate them cold out of the freezer and they were so good! My 4 year old dd doesn't eat cake (just icing and sprinkles) but she really liked the cake balls.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 6:03pm
post #21 of 32

The first time I made them I thought everyone who raved about them was insane!!! They were horrible! Then, I made them again using just a dab of whipping cream and a lot of liquid flavor (white/yellow cake, lemon flavoring, dipped in white chocolate is amazing!!) and they turned out great. I thoroughly 'crush' the cake with a fork until it's a fine crumb, mix the flavoring into a tiny dab of cream, then drizzle into cake and stir just until mixed. It should be a super coarse crumb, like pie dough almost, but when you roll into balls it will stick together. I really like them now! But I make them VERY small because they ARE definitely rich! I use a baby spoon to portion them!

Edited to add: I also realized that what I tried the first time was ignorant... I tried powdered creamer to add flavor, and it made it grainy and nasty! I also tried adding some buttercream instead of liquid and that was rank too!

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 8:11pm
post #22 of 32

Hey everyone, after reading this post I just tried this for the first time. I had an extra small chocolate cake in the fridge so I started smashing away. Turns out that the cake was so moist (I guess) that I did not have to add any liquid at all. Made a whole bunch and put out on my shelf to sell. We'll just have to see if they sell. I tasted one and it was good, very very rich. Not a real bad experience for me though. icon_smile.gif
LL

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 10:29pm
post #23 of 32

I don't like them either, I think they taste like pre-chewed cake. My friends loved them.

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 10:32pm
post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsicle

It's not just you. I think the texture is nasty.

icon_lol.gif I would think they're soggy, but I've never tried them.

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 10:37pm
post #25 of 32

I made some once with chocolate cake and I mashed fresh raspberries into the crumbs with a little coffee creamer, then I froze them. They were yummy! I can't keep those around or I'd have a hand in the freezer ALL the time!

navaretteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
navaretteb Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 10:43pm
post #26 of 32

I've never added liquid. The way I make them is using chocolate cake with coconut pecan frosting and dipping in chocolate. My husband can't get enough of them!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 11:24pm
post #27 of 32

Someone a few months back mentioned re-baking them when they were too moist.

jen1977 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 11:29pm
post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyty

Quote:

I make my German choc balls the same way.

I actually make my german chocolate cakes this way! I add the coconut pecan icing to my cake batter before I bake them. I always get raves reviews!

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 11:29pm
post #29 of 32

I hadn't thought about rebaking them. One more thing to put on my "to do" list icon_lol.gif

I prefer to freeze them and set them out a few minutes before serving them. They don't seem so doughy that way.

tdybear1978 ~ those are great looking cake balls! Nice display!

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 11:36pm
post #30 of 32

I find them to be disgusting. When I was a teenager, everyone raved about a similar recipe, oreo balls, where you put a whole pack of oreos and a pack of cream cheese in the food processor, a la cake balls.

They were so horrible I still have flashbacks. icon_eek.gif Cake balls are even worse.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%