Filling In With Buttercream

Decorating By newtocake Updated 28 Feb 2007 , 10:39pm by cakesbybert

newtocake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newtocake Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 7

How do I fill in a figure using buttercream and not royal icing? How do I get it smooth?

6 replies
jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 7

if you mean floodwork, I've only heard of using RI for it. RI isn't hard to make - my recipe just uses meringue powder.

weberm05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weberm05 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 7

Are you meaning using color flow?

Or you could possible do a FBCT....

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 5:17pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtocake

How do I fill in a figure using buttercream and not royal icing? How do I get it smooth?

You can use a star tip. You can also use a round tip, (size depending on the size of your figure, i.e. 3), after your BC has crusted, dip your finger in cornstarch and gently pat down.

HTH

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 10:23pm
post #5 of 7

I make a crusting buttercream, ( all Crisco, no butter) and usually use the round tips to fill in my designs. After it crusts a bit, you can pat the lines down gently with your finger or even use a Viva paper towel to gently press over the design to smooth out the lines.

KimAZ

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 10:28pm
post #6 of 7

Do you mean flood? Do you mean filling in as the character pans?

I haven't heard of doing flooodwork with BC, only w/ RI or color flow (aren't they the same thing??)

You can use a star tip and work your way from the outside to the inside.

cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 10:39pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Quote:

If you are meaning filling in the outline of a figure on directly top of a cake with buttercream, it can be done. I do it all the time. To get it to be smooth, I add white karo syrup (corn syrup) to the buttercream. Just enough so that when in is squeezed out on top of itself it disappears into itself. Hope that make sense. Then just use a round tip to fill in the area needed. You can check out my photos, my sheet cakes with characters or figures on them are all done this way except for the spiderman and #24 & #9 Nascar cakes - those are my first FBCTs.

Good luck, hope this is what info you needed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%