Topsy Turvy

Decorating By dpwmom Updated 28 Feb 2007 , 6:28pm by Confectionary1

dpwmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dpwmom Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 9

Ok, if I were to do a topsy turvy cake, does it make sense to have 2" between the cake sizes? For example, 10, 8, 6? Or do you need to have a bigger size difference. I tried that combination and had difficulty getting the 8 to sit on the 10 once I cut the shape out of the 10. Perhaps I didn't make the angle big enough? What do you think? Or should my layers have been higher?
LL

8 replies
cakecre8tor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecre8tor Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:35pm
post #2 of 9

I think your cake is way cute! I would probably have made your middle layer higher. I have only made a few of these cakes but I think they are a bit nerve-racking! I don't think I made the angles severe enough on my first one either! To give the cake an even more whimsical look it helps to taper the cake as well - I use 3 size cakes like 10-9-8 for the bottom layer then a 8-7-6 for the next and so on....that helps with giving you a bigger size difference when you layer your cake. But no worries cause it is way cute!

HTH icon_smile.gif

deenise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deenise Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 3:35pm
post #3 of 9

I know the topic here isn't how to view pictures, but I'm new and I'd like to see your cake, but don't know how. I just see a file name. --how can I see the picture?

tia,
Denise

swingme83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swingme83 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 9

did you use cake supports like the tutorial or did you just dowel them?

My understanding (and i would liketo try this soon) is that the cakes are actually flat just cut to look like they are leaning on the top layer right? and then each subsequent layer rests in a cut out hole of the one under it?

dpwmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dpwmom Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 9

Yes, that's how I did it, cut into each layer so that it was flat but gives the appearance of being slanted. I just used dowels, not cake supports.

Also, I don't know why you can't see the pictures. If you are member and logged in then you should be able to see it.

Danielle

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 5:12pm
post #7 of 9

I think your cake is cute, I used the same method for the one I made a while back. I think my cake was too soft. Next time I will use a more dense cake. I love the colors also.

deenise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deenise Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 5:24pm
post #8 of 9

thanks, Danielle. knowing there wasn't some kind of CC option I needed to select I decided to try something else. we have a firewall and if I shut it down then I can see the pics.

beautiful cake!!!

Confectionary1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionary1 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 6:28pm
post #9 of 9

I LOVE IT! It is beautiful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%