Help With Silver Dragees.....can't Find Them

Baking By southernbelle Updated 6 Jan 2006 , 5:51am by CakesByEllen

southernbelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernbelle Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 2:53am
post #1 of 16

I know I am showing my age here, but didn't they used to sell the little silver beads at the grocery in the past. I looked everywhere for these to use with my Christmas Cookies but couldn't find them anywhere. I know I have seen a site where you can order them but can't find that either. I have found the pearl looking ones but need the silver ones!

Sending out the cc signal (like the bat signal) for help icon_lol.gif

15 replies
JamieL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamieL Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 2:59am
post #2 of 16

I was doing the same search a couple of years ago . . . I did come across some in a local cake decorating store, but they are in little tub containers instead of the bottles I remember, and marked "for decoration only." I also got some "across the border" from my MIL in Canada.

southernbelle Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 3:02am
post #3 of 16

The kind I am looking for are edible. I remember these when I was a kid. I also saw Sandra Lee on Semi-Homemade use them as well.

Don't want to use them on cookies unless they are edible.

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 3:09am
post #4 of 16

The ones that Jamie L described are what you are looking for. Techinically according to US standards they are not edible and have to be labeled that way. For decoratiion use only is what you will see on them. They are that way because of the silver.

Darstus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darstus Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 3:12am
post #5 of 16

southernbelle, I think that the silver dragees are labeled as not edible. If you want silver ones, they are easy to make from fondant by using a decorating tip to cut to size, rolling them and then using luster dust to make them silver. I know cake decorators that make these up in huge batches while sitting around so they always have them and they are edible. Just an option.

MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 3:13am
post #6 of 16

Cakeconfections is right... the regulations changed - not the dragees. you should still be able to find them at specialty cake stores, or you can order them on-line (I use www.creativecutters.com)

gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 3:16am
post #7 of 16

I buy them from Pfeil & Holing from this site.

http://www.cakedeco.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_sresults.html

southernbelle Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 3:27am
post #8 of 16

Thanks everyone. I tried to look on creative cutters but couldn't find. I think the idea about fondant and luster dust sounds pretty good. Have a bunch of yucky Wilton fondant that I could use. Thanks for the idea and all the help.

Darstus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darstus Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 3:32am
post #9 of 16

southerbelle, you are right, the Wilton fondant doesn't taste very good. If you are wanting a little better taste, add some flavoring oil. They are more concentrated and you don't need much! I use the Wilton fondant any time I don't think it will be eatened.

southernbelle Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 3:38am
post #10 of 16

Well, I have a ton of it that's for sure. I'm a Wilton Instructor and we have to use only Wilton products. The only time I use it to cover a cake is in class! I have never tried using the oil to flavor, just the extracts and that doesn't even work.

When I cover a cake with fondant for sale, I use mmf or pettice. I love working with it but people just don't like the texture usually. I'm going to try to make my own silver dragees and see what happens, will let you know. I need them for my Valentines cookies.

Newbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newbie Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 3:59am
post #11 of 16

Follow this link for more information - or search the topics for "silver dragee's"
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-8014.html

I got mine by mail, from Golda's Kitchen in Canada.
https://www.goldaskitchen.com/

Good luck!

hamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamie Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 4:01am
post #12 of 16

I read a different thread last week about the silver balls not being suitable for consumption. I was really suprised to find a large bottle of them at Central Market (a division on HEB) today. I almost bought them fearing that I would need them in the future. I guess they can still be sold here in Texas.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 7:50am
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle

Well, I have a ton of it that's for sure. I'm a Wilton Instructor and we have to use only Wilton products. The only time I use it to cover a cake is in class! I have never tried using the oil to flavor, just the extracts and that doesn't even work.

When I cover a cake with fondant for sale, I use mmf or pettice. I love working with it but people just don't like the texture usually. I'm going to try to make my own silver dragees and see what happens, will let you know. I need them for my Valentines cookies.

Let me know if you need any... I can mail them to you...

southernbelle Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 2:09pm
post #14 of 16

Thank you Cake_Princess, what a sweet guesture. I'll tell you, this site is so great. You ask a question, everyone jumps in to make sure you get an answer and help in any way they can. Cake Decorators are some of the nicest people around. icon_biggrin.gif

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 10:40pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle

Thank you Cake_Princess, what a sweet guesture. I'll tell you, this site is so great. You ask a question, everyone jumps in to make sure you get an answer and help in any way they can. Cake Decorators are some of the nicest people around. icon_biggrin.gif

Your Welcome. There is a bulk Food place that I go to. They sell both the silver and the gold dragees. I think the gold ones came in 2 different sizes if I am not mistake.

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 6 Jan 2006 , 5:51am
post #16 of 16

candylandcrafts sells them in lots of sizes. That's where I got mine. Of course, they are local for me so I just go to the shop.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%