Want To Make A Cake For Transplant Recipient

Decorating By jcrew Updated 6 Jan 2006 , 6:56pm by momsandraven

jcrew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcrew Posted 4 Jan 2006 , 8:58pm
post #1 of 11

My brother is having a kidney transplant next week and my mom is the donor. I thought it would be nice to make them a cake to celebrate when they come home. I don't have a clue wether to do funny... like a kidney. Or serious... about life. I really don't have time to even think about it so help me out with some ideas! Something not to hard. I'm hoping I'll get it made while they're still in the hospital because I'll be busy taking care of them when they're home.
Thanks everyone! I look forward to seeing what ya'll come up with!

Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
Proverbs 31:30

10 replies
PinkPanther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkPanther Posted 4 Jan 2006 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 11

Well, this is a hard one. I would suggest to be on the safe side you could just do a nice "get well soon" cake in their favorite flavor(s).

Or if you want to be funny, I remember in "Steel Magnolias" they made a joke about "A Tale of Two Kidneys," so I guess it's up to you if they would think that is funny or not.

Good luck and we'll be thinking about your family. Keep us posted. icon_smile.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 4 Jan 2006 , 11:40pm
post #3 of 11

an idea:

sculpt cake to kidney shape, the embellish with hearts which could be icing, cookies or small cake cut-outs.

could title it: united in love and kidney

another possible message: the gift of life...again!

some other possible messages for a more silly approach might include:
"wasn't it enough I gave you ......

then could complete w/
1) a Y chromosome
2) life
3) your <a physical feature> ... such as your eyes/hair/smile....etc.
LL

mistydawn74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistydawn74 Posted 4 Jan 2006 , 11:49pm
post #4 of 11

I really like the Kidney and heart cake idea.
Real sweet!

Twisted_Sifter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Twisted_Sifter Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 2:08am
post #5 of 11

Hmmmmm... you could always make a BEDPAN shaped cake... icon_rolleyes.gif

"Hope everything comes out alright"

.....sorry, thats how my warped mind works at times.....

jcrew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcrew Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 8:14pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks everyone!
Doug - I really love your idea of "isn't it enough that I gave you..."
I'll post a picture for ya'll! I new at this, so don't expect great things!

J
Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
Proverbs 31:30

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 8:17pm
post #7 of 11

I would do a very pretty cake, to just make everyone feel better. maybe make their favorite flavors combined in one cake? maybe like a checkerboard cake?

RuthWells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RuthWells Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 8:25pm
post #8 of 11

When my aunt gave my father a kidney in the first of what ended up being 3 transplants for him, my father had a local jeweler make a gold charm in the shape of a kidney and gave it to his sister on a gold chain. She has worn it for 20 years and it still makes me misty. I have a special place in my heart for transplantees and donors -- wishing everyone the very best for speedy recovery!

mikaza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mikaza Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 9:20pm
post #9 of 11

I actually just did a bunch of kidney shaped cookies--for a presentation on kidney donations--and I found that a heart shaped cookie cutter with the point cut off makes a great looking kidney!

You could do the same with a pan, I would imagine!

Good luck with both the cake and getting your family back on the road to good health!

aunt-judy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt-judy Posted 6 Jan 2006 , 6:28pm
post #10 of 11

when i think of a kidney shape, i also think of a yin-yang, which is a symbol of the intertwinning of the male and female in a circle, with the dark and light containing an element (circle) of the other.

if it's an image and concept that appeals to you, i think it would make a lovely cake for a mother and son, who are linked forever through birth, and now this second gift of life.

here's a yinyang cake pic i nicked off google (looks like fondant but you could do it in any icing...i once made a yinyang of fudge for a friend)...
LL

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 6 Jan 2006 , 6:56pm
post #11 of 11

My first thought was just a simple gift-box cake, like the ones made in Wilton's course 3, since she is giving him the gift of life. The kidney idea is cute too though! Another simple idea could be a cake with an organ donor ribbon on it like the one below:
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%