Everything you ever wanted to know about buttercream

Decorating By Jackie Updated 27 Nov 2014 , 6:37am by amerced

lenaberry Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 2:54pm
post #631 of 707

Hey.. I have a question... I made a buttercreame frosting with a recipe i found but it was too sweet... And then i looked up other recipes but each and everyone has like 400gr of powder sugar... but it is too much for just 12 cupcakes.. I tasted it and i couldnt eat anything sweet for three days! And i LOVE sweet.. Pleaaase some advice??? :)

mjd65 Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 5:29pm
post #632 of 707

In Houston we have a store "foodtown" and the only thing that I buy there is their vegetable shorting "PARADE" it is much better than Crisco.

mjd65 Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 3:53am
post #633 of 707

I got lost with all the replies.. sorry... my question is : why does buttercream crack? Do I need more powder sugar? doesn't happen all the time....

Thanksicon_rolleyes.gif

mollineau Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 10:56pm
post #634 of 707

So far I think am getting better every time I do my butter cream I just started baking 4 mouth ago and I think am doing very good now I discover that if I add one or two TB spoon of merengue powder I do it because I live in the USVI and is very hot THANK YOU all for your advice I like the tipsthumbs_up.gif

mollineau Posted 16 Jul 2013 , 11:01pm
post #635 of 707

well I don't like Crisco anymore I found a high ratio shorting but I think you can other high ratio shorting why don't you Google how you can buy on line

pegalbraith Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 12:34am
post #636 of 707

AWill you be posting a link to this fabulous catchall goto document when you have it compiled? That will be awesome

CakePrincessPE Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 7:31am
post #637 of 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd65 

I got lost with all the replies.. sorry... my question is : why does buttercream crack? Do I need more powder sugar? doesn't happen all the time....

Thanksicon_rolleyes.gif

What recipe are you using?

mollineau Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 12:48pm
post #638 of 707

Hi could it be that you have too much sugar I stop using butter in my butter cream I use VELVOKIS made by ROBERTS I know this is made in Barbados but I saw it on line and this holds very good better than Crisco and I add 2 or 3 tablespoons of merengue powder for every 8 cups on the recipe and I add butter flavor essence and I use milk instead of water am from the Virgin Islands and it took me a few mouths before I got a way to make buttercream that I can work with and not crack or melt hope this helps am learning to but being that I did catering as part time I test deferent recipe also use a recipe that I learn at Crafty's call Pipping Buttercream and borders the recipe that he have in that class is excellent and so easy.

imjustme Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 6:03pm
post #639 of 707

I'm sure I'm just missing it...but is it ok to store a buttercream iced cake in the fridge over night?

Hoosier Mama Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 5:47pm
post #640 of 707

Please include a section on natural flavorings for buttercream -- some folks don't go for the artificial flavors.

Also, include info on storability of buttercream, as I use a recipe that breaks down if I freeze the extra buttercream, and sometimes beating it for several minutes doesn't work.  I also like to use real butter vs. shortening, but does that effect the life of the buttercream?

Carol333 Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 5:54pm
post #641 of 707

AWhat a fabulous idea!

I started Cake Decorating in January as a hobby and have discovered a real passion for it. I took the Wilton courses at my local Michael's and one of the hardest things for me so far is getting the correct consistency. It seems to be different for crumb coating, icing, piping (and even that depends upon WHAT you are piping) <>. At first it was always too stiff for whatever I was doing and now it's always too thin, lol!

And there are several buttercream recipes out there: Swiss Meringue, American Meringue, regular old buttercream, "crusting" buttercream... It's confusing for a newbie.

I'm eagerly looking forward to this blog!

Thank you!

Carol

kakeladi Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 9:58pm
post #642 of 707

........why does buttercream crack? Do I need more powder sugar? .........

There are several reason this mught b e happening.  It would hlp as another poster suggested if you would post the recipe you are using.  But....consider this: ince you say it doesn't helppen all the time:  your board is not thick/strong enough to support the cake so the cake/icing flexes when you move it.

OR you may need a bit more 'fat' (be it butter, shortening or whatever you are using).  Sometimes it could be just as little as 1/4 cup that will make the difference.

........is it ok to store a buttercream iced cake in the fridge over night?.....

Sure.  Just be aware that when it comes out of the frig it will sweat some until it comes to room temp.  Do NOT touch the cake at all - it will dry up just fine on it's own

............. include info on storability of buttercream, as I use a recipe that breaks down if I freeze the extra buttercream, and sometimes beating it for several minutes doesn't work.  I also like to use real butter vs. shortening, but does that effect the life of the buttercream?......... 

ABC (American B'cream - using shortening &/or part butter) does not break down when fzn.  It must be the recipe you are using.  Yes, using all butter will effect the life of b'cream.  It will need to be refrig'd at all times until just before serving.  I have always used 1/2 butter/1/2 Crico and never had it breakdown when fzn.  It also does not need to be kept in the frig up to 3 days but I usually did.

Veritys Cakes Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 10:05pm
post #643 of 707

Hi everyone, new to this site, so still feeling my way around but this looks like a very interesting subject to follow  :)

dzone223 Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 10:46pm
post #644 of 707

yes! i actually found a recipe on this site that uses heavy whipping cream and it makes my frosting taste amazing. it is my go-to recipe!:smile:

mbyrne Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 2:29pm
post #645 of 707

I agree, I am always having a huge issue with large bubbles throughout my entire batch and it is really had to smooth them out. Suggestions?

mbyrne Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 2:30pm
post #646 of 707

I agree!

mbyrne Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 2:31pm
post #647 of 707

Quote:

Originally Posted by montanakate 

I think it would be helpful to have tips on how to get buttercream really smooth, not just smoothing on the cake but the frosting itself. You know, like no air bubbles in the frosting.

I am also having this problem!

Marielijah Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 4:40pm
post #648 of 707

Quote:

Originally Posted by Veritys Cakes 

Hi everyone, new to this site, so still feeling my way around but this looks like a very interesting subject to follow  :)

Welcome!

mollineau Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 5:31pm
post #649 of 707

Ok dzone223 where can I get the recipe for buttercream with heavy whipping cream can you post it or is it just adding it instead of water or milk:?

dzone223 Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 5:05pm
post #650 of 707

hmmm i believe its on this site and called Quick and Easy Vanilla Buttercream. I use half shortening and half butter, confectioners sugar, pinch of salt, vanilla extract, and heavy cream. I personally don't like those buttercreams that are too sugary, so this one was perfect!

brendajarmusz Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 10:24am
post #651 of 707

AI have always used heavy whipping cream in my buttercream frosting in place of the water or milk. Its amazing! ! Lol one thing i like to do if i want it thinner is use half of the cream and the other half milk.

punkin90 Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 10:46pm
post #652 of 707

If you use whipping cream, do you have to put your iced cake in the fridge or can it sit out at room temp.?

dzone223 Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 4:49pm
post #653 of 707

I usually leave it in the fridge but it sits out for several hours. there is enough sugar in the frosting to keep it from spoiling.

icensweet Posted 3 Dec 2013 , 2:56pm
post #654 of 707

Just when I think I've got my ABC mastered, I learn something new to tweak it.  What started as a simple BC recipe has morphed into a completely different recipe :)  I had no idea you could add whipping cream to it!  Do you use heavy or light cream?  Or does it not matter?  Does it change the texture of the frosting?  Ooh so excited to add this to my recipe!

AnnieCahill Posted 3 Dec 2013 , 4:29pm
post #655 of 707

I've used heavy whipping cream in my icing for years.  It makes the icing a little richer.  I heat mine up so it blends better with the butter and sugar.  You can add as much as you want and whip the daylights out of it and make it really fluffy.  That's how I make my icing for cupcakes.

MBalaska Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 7:36pm
post #656 of 707

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieCahill 

I've used heavy whipping cream in my icing for years.  It makes the icing a little richer.  I heat mine up so it blends better with the butter and sugar.  You can add as much as you want and whip the daylights out of it and make it really fluffy.  That's how I make my icing for cupcakes.

AnnieCahill: this sounds delicious.  Does it still crust in the American Buttercream?

I'd like to try it and make another 'camo' cake.

AnnieCahill Posted 5 Dec 2013 , 12:07pm
post #657 of 707

AMine doesn't crust but that's because I have more fat in my recipe (so it doesn't crust). If you use cream in place of your normal liquid I wouldn't imagine it would affect the crusting much. I add lots of cream to mine, like 1/3 cup most of the time.

MBalaska Posted 5 Dec 2013 , 8:11pm
post #658 of 707

thanks

icensweet Posted 8 Dec 2013 , 5:42am
post #659 of 707

I added the whipping cream to my buttercream for my SIL's baby shower cake (still working on it...).  OMG, yum!  And I learned a new trick I wanted to pass along.  To get my BC silky smooth I add another batch I made earlier to my mixer until the BC is even with the top of the bowl, set it at med-low and let it whip away for about 8-10 mins.  It reduces the air bubbles, I think, and comes out perfect for smoothing on the cake!  Don't know if anyone had posted that earlier, but I was impressed it came out so well and wanted to share :-D

Teddi A Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 8:31pm
post #660 of 707

If you want one that will last, Kitchen Aid makes an excellent one.  Another nice thing is that older accessories can be used with a new mixer.  Their mixer is dependable and will take a lot of hard use.  They are now available in a wide variety of colors as well as the basic neutrals. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%