Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Buttercream

Decorating By Jackie Updated 26 May 2016 , 8:00pm by gfbaby

Sissy612 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sissy612 Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 12:18am
post #511 of 707

Hi, Jackie.

I'm relatively new to the site so am seeing some old posts for the first time. Did your article on buttercream get posted? I've been a cake decorator for about 30 years but I always want to hear what others have to offer.

Thank you.

Chloezee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chloezee Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 10:21pm
post #512 of 707

Hi everybody
Does anyone know anything about cakedecoratingmagic.com - they offer online courses or ebooks for downloading. Is it good?
thanx so much for a brilliant website. You have to love it!
Chloezee

Roger1242 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roger1242 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 8:53pm
post #513 of 707

All what my fellow decorators said was true and i agree but its hard for guys to be cake decorators in the bahamas I have good friends who teased me put they loved the cakes at the end of the day and thats what matters i also use this product

<a href="http://9ab38-tfmfg8pqyqk4mlymbrdv.hop.clickbank.net/" target="_top">Click Here!</a>

It will totally help you in decorating as it has me!!

Bridgette1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bridgette1129 Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 7:45pm
post #514 of 707

I have only made buttercream a handful of times but I was wondering about freezing.
I tried searching this forum thread and didn't find many answers.

How long can you freeze buttercream?
Can you keep just butter, no shortening buttercream at room temp?
What is the best way to store? Glass air-tight container? Ziplock bag?
Should I thaw at room temp or in fridge?
Does it have to be completely thawed before whipping?

This is my recipe that I have used:
4 cups (460 grams) confectioners sugar (icing or powdered sugar), sifted
1 cup (226 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
4 tablespoons milk or light cream

Thanks so much!

beeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beeps Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 1:49am
post #515 of 707

Hi I am a new member and would love to read this article....does anyone know where I can find it..thank you bunches...

merry001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
merry001 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 12:57pm
post #516 of 707

I love butter cream. Can u tell me how to get a delicious butter cream ice cream for a party?

Lindajp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lindajp Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 12:18am
post #517 of 707

What percentage of trans fat is in Hi Ratio Shortening?

adshoemake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adshoemake Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 8:36pm
post #518 of 707

i wouldlove to see some techniques and ideas on decorating with buttercream and how to's. im new to this and would love to know how everyone else gets those gorgeous cakes with using all buttercream.

merrycakestress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
merrycakestress Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 1:41am
post #519 of 707

Has anyone tried French Buttercream? I have made it, but was wondering how it holds up vs. regular buttercream? I have a wedding cake that I would like to use it for but it is in July and I'm not sure how it will hold in the heat, any sugestions? Katie

steppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steppy Posted 30 Oct 2011 , 2:50pm
post #520 of 707

I want to offer some help to those of you that are just now reading this.
There is a lot of valuable information within this topic and it has taken me two days to read through all 35 pages. As I read, I copied and pasted any valuable information I thought I could use.
I would like to share it with others so it won't take you two days to find what you're looking for. (I apologize for not naming the people who posted, I just copied the information)
Here goes......

Viva Method:
The best tip I learned about buttercream icing was how to ice and smooth. Using the icing tip to place icing on the cake, then using a long smoothing spatula to even the icing out. After letting it sit for about 10-15 minutes, I then use VIVA paper towels to smooth the icing out. I get great results with this, even if I have to patch and repair when I am setting up a wedding cake.
http://cakecentral.com/articles/71/how-to-create-faux-fondant-the-paper-smoothing-towel-method-viva

Roller Melvira method:
http://cakecentral.com/articles/126/quick-easy-smooth-icing-using-a-roller-melvira-method

Upside Down Icing Method:
http://cakecentral.com/articles/69/upside-down-icing-technique-for-perfectly-smooth-icing

The best tips:
1. Use water instead of milk (stays fresh longer).

2. Do not beat too fast or too long, will add air bubbles.

3. Cover mixer with damp towel while mixing to eliminate powder clouds in the air.

4. Add light corn syrup at the end of mixing to create an icing that glides onto the cake (I add 1/4 cup to a 6 cup batch).

5. Allow icing to crust over at least 15 - 30 minutes then use parchment paper and your warm hand to smooth the cake.

6. putting a few drops of vinger in your buttercream will help it from cracking when you have to move and already crusted cake.

7. Sturdy plywood board or foam board to support a cake will prevent cracking when transporting cakes. The heavier the cake the more support.

8. add colored piping gel when I color my buttercream. I usually need a little extra color, but the piping gel keeps the consistancy from thinning, and it also helps my buttercream from cracking when I pipe letters or make roses and leaves.

9. freezing roses helps prevent damage when transferring to a cake.

10. dont sift the powdered sugar, just knead it in the bag really good. I've never had a lump problem this way.

11.I just recently discovered that you can flavor a basic butter cream recipe with snow cone syrup. The lemon is clear, however, the apple, cherry, and grape are colored. But the colors are really great for kids and they love the flavor. To make it you just cut the liquid out, be it oils, liquid flavor, or water/milk.

12. Just a quick note for making anything with cocoa powder (cakes or frostings)... if you dissolve the cocoa in boiling water, it gives whatever you are making a much richer chocolate flavor. Just boil some water and measure out the amount called for in your recipe. Mix in the cocoa thoroughly and let it cool to room temperature- then just follow the recipe as directed!

13. To cut the sweetness, I add cornstarch to my icing. Not only does it help cut the sweetness, it also helps with humidity.

14.when trying to get deep reds, using a combination of powdered and paste coloring works great. Less thinning of icing and less taste of coloring.

15. Start with chocolate icing if making black icing. also, adding a tbsp of wilton meringue powder to the icing will help to stabilize it and prevent bleeding.

16. Try making the butter cream then adding the ganache and beating it. Fluffy and wonderful.

17. There is so many coffee creamer flavors that you can easly and quickly add so many exctiing flavors to you buttercream.

18.You can also use Dreamwhip powder if you have it available in your country. One of my instructors said flour helps with the humidity.

19. Use paddle attachment to avoid air bubbles. This is for KA users. Handheld mixer users, just beat on low.

Recipes:
When I make buttercream, I always add about a 1/4tsp of kosher salt to the liquid I'm using (usually water and vanilla) and let it dissolve completely, about 3-4 oz of good white chocolate and un-salted sweet cream butter(tends to be very light, not yellow).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ok Here is my recipe for icing:
1 Cup Hi Ratio Shortening
4 TBL White Icing Base
7 cups 6x Powder Sugar
1/2 cup water
1 tsp or to taste what ever flavor you want. You can use extracts or louann flavored oils but use less of the oil flavoring because it is strong. I use my own flavoring mixture that gives me a unique great tasting icing.
2 drops vinegar- This keeps any icing from cracking or stress lines.

You can also add 1 stick of softened butter (I use white butter) to this recipe for buttercream or an 8 oz of creamcheese for a cream cheese icing that crusts. This icing will hold better than crisco in heat and takes less shortening to make because hi ratio does not break down like crisco. You use 1/3 less alpine per cup of crisco for your recipes. Taste wise this is not gritty nor shortening tasting at all. The shelf life is very long and does not need to be refridgerated. Just re-whip before use if it has sat for a few days and it is ready to go. It is important that you use 6 x Sugar. This is a commercial grade and really makes a difference in your icing texture and consistency.

Forgot to add if you want a little less sweet icing I add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon fine salt to the recipe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1/2 lb of white crisco shortening (equals 1 cup )
1 tsp clear vanilla
1 kilo of icing sugar (approx 71/2 cups)
2/3 cups water
1/3 cup allpurpose flour
Mix for exactly 1 1/2 min no longer on med speed.

Helpful videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6r8MYHYz00&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLcCbN2I4xI&feature=channel_page

Please note, I copied these to make this, anything that say "I" , "my", I can not take credit for. Although I do use some of these methods, I am still learning and I am thankful for all the experts out there that make learning possible.

steppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steppy Posted 30 Oct 2011 , 3:02pm
post #521 of 707

A lot of users have asked how long BC lasts. I have heard, 2 weeks in an airtight container in the refrigerator. I have heard you CAN freeze it and there are several users that freeze colors in advance to have it available.
I can not locate the site that I read this but I found something that stated all the sugar acts as a preservative so BC does not have to be refrigerated but if it's out in the heat and it contains butter, your decorations may suffer since the melting point of butter is 9095 °F, which is much lower than the shortening types, which lasts up to 117°F and 119°F.
I have not tested this theory, since I don't want anyone getting sick off of something I created.

josilind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josilind Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 4:33pm
post #522 of 707

AIR BUBBLES: i have figured it out completely yet, but , to me, it appears that if you are coolling your cake in the freezer and the icing has been refridgerated too, when the cake starts sitting out at room temp it may be creating those bubbles. I use a toothpick to pop them and they deflate just like a balloon but I have always had a concern that if I drop off a cake, will a bubble form, hadnt had that happen yet, but i think it has something to do with the temp of the cake, the icing and the room temp.

josilind Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 4:36pm
post #523 of 707

AIR BUBBLES: i have figured it out completely yet, but , to me, it appears that if you are coolling your cake in the freezer and the icing has been refridgerated too, when the cake starts sitting out at room temp it may be creating those bubbles. I use a toothpick to pop them and they deflate just like a balloon but I have always had a concern that if I drop off a cake, will a bubble form, hadnt had that happen yet, but i think it has something to do with the temp of the cake, the icing and the room temp.

josilind Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 4:37pm
post #524 of 707

josilind Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 4:38pm
post #525 of 707

Adelle5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adelle5 Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 5:56am
post #526 of 707

hii everybody..
I'm just new to forums.. and just started to learn it..

cakelady1958 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady1958 Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 6:03pm
post #527 of 707

Montanakate I have the same interest as you...how to get all the air bubbles out of my buttercream. Am I over-whipping it or do I need to add more liquid?

ElenaIuliana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElenaIuliana Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 3:14pm
post #528 of 707

we just love butter cream cakes! icon_biggrin.gif

cookiemamma1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemamma1221 Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 2:03am
post #529 of 707

I just started exploring this site...wow- there is a LOT of information...with two little ones around, I can barely get through reading all this stuff...just posted on the forum about something else. I see the viva towel method is great for smooth icing.

Question about frosting- I have used the crisco/wilton buttercream frosting recipe, but don't like the shortening taste. I have tried butter only buttercream recipes, but it is SO sweet. Cream cheese icings IME don't crust easily, hence, no smooth finish.

Does anyone have a icing recipe which is not tooo sweet, does not use shortening and is actually edibleicon_smile.gif

Also, is there a limit of questions that can be asked on hereicon_smile.gif (b/c I have MANY!!!icon_smile.gif
Thanksicon_smile.gif

linton17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linton17 Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 1:06am
post #530 of 707

I just read through all 36 pages & got so much helpful information!

@ Steppy!! Thank you for taking your time to compile a list for everyone. It looks like you covered it all.

cupcakegirl22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakegirl22 Posted 8 Feb 2012 , 7:01pm
post #531 of 707

Hello to everyone out there,
I made my daughters puppydog Bcake with the Indydebi, buttercream(Shortening/Butter) w the
DREAMWHIP powder added to it and we had a SNOWSTORM had to cancel here party icon_cry.gif
Can I freeze the cake with dreamwhip in the icing or do I have to make a new one. HELP please

Lori00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori00 Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 9:08pm
post #532 of 707

I've been reading through this topic and see that a few of you are having issues with air bubbles in your buttercream? I have never and I mean never gotten air bubbles in my buttercream frostings and I have been making it forever. To me the only way you create bubbles is that the frosting is too soft and the mixer too high. The incorporation of too much air will always give you bubbles. Other than that I don't have a clue. Hope I said something worth wild! lol

"pattycake pattycake bakers man bake me a cake as fast as you can'

shoemake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shoemake Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 5:14pm
post #533 of 707

I need help with my writing I'm not very good with it.

3boysmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3boysmama Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 4:24am
post #534 of 707

I already have black royal icing... can I use that to do the lettering on top of my buttercream sheet cake? It will be served in less than 24 hours..

SweetToothCakesbyCrystal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetToothCakesbyCrystal Posted 4 Mar 2012 , 5:44am
post #535 of 707

How about a section on how to use different icing bases, and a section on PS99 (high ratio shortening) thumbs_up.gif

Cathrine123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathrine123 Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 1:41pm
post #536 of 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemamma1221

I just started exploring this site...wow- there is a LOT of information...with two little ones around, I can barely get through reading all this stuff...just posted on the forum about something else. I see the viva towel method is great for smooth icing.

Question about frosting- I have used the crisco/wilton buttercream frosting recipe, but don't like the shortening taste. I have tried butter only buttercream recipes, but it is SO sweet. Cream cheese icings IME don't crust easily, hence, no smooth finish.

Does anyone have a icing recipe which is not tooo sweet, does not use shortening and is actually edibleicon_smile.gif

Also, is there a limit of questions that can be asked on hereicon_smile.gif (b/c I have MANY!!!icon_smile.gif
Thanksicon_smile.gif

Hi cookiemamma1221,

What I do to take away the sharp sweetness is add a bit of salt, mix it in have a little taste and continue until I am satisfied with the taste icon_smile.gif Good luck!

Marie_eveB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marie_eveB Posted 18 Mar 2012 , 10:15am
post #537 of 707

My favorite Buttercream recipe is the white chocolat recipe from Wilton... Thought some people find it too sweet or it might not be white enought for a wedding cake, it is the only one I don't find leave a taste of vegetable greace in the mouth

joli88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joli88 Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 10:08am
post #538 of 707

hi.has anyone ever tryed using heavy whipping in there buttercream icing.i use about 1/4 cup to my butter and crisco mix then add my powdered sugar.this cuts down on the sweet taste and it forms a good crumb coat

toottifruitti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toottifruitti Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 1:21am
post #539 of 707

I tried this buttercream recipe the other day and it had a grainy texture and taste. Can anyone help?
8 cups of powder sugar, 1 cup shortening...I used original Crisco, 1 tsp clear vanilla extract 3/4 cup milk. It was also super sweet. I have put it in the fridge in a tupperware container with lid thinking, do I throw it out and start again using a different recipe....I don't like waste! Also can I freeze it?

ChefJED Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefJED Posted 2 Apr 2012 , 6:57am
post #540 of 707

For Italian buttercream you can actually use a ratio of 2:1 sugar to egg whites, 3:1butter to sugar, and 3:1 sugar to water. And for every white you used add a 1/8 tsp of cream of Tartar. But if you wanted to make a Swiss buttercream then change the butter to sugar ratio from 3:1 to 2:1 instead.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%