Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Buttercream

Decorating By Jackie Updated 27 Nov 2014 , 6:37am by amerced

jade8 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 12:46am
post #451 of 707

I may have missed it somewhere along the line but any ideas on where I can get my hands on 6x powdered sugar here in Canada?

coffeebean Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 4:47pm
post #452 of 707

I believe that the Viva paper towel method should be mentioned in your article. I also like to use patterned paper towels for a different effect on buttercream.

EmilyHogan Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 10:49pm
post #453 of 707

Hello, I was just wondering, I have my bc stored in a container that used to be filled w/ wilton icing. HOw long does bc store in a sealed container just at room temperature?

Esalota Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 2:18am
post #454 of 707

I use hi ratio shortening, tried cutting it with butter, it is greasy tasting and overly sweet.

It always reminds me of that greasy over sweet stuff from the grocery. Hate it.

And grainy. Even when I shift the powdered sugar.

I've tried Sugarshack's recipe and love the way it crusts, but to me it still leaves that film of grease in the mouth.

So ideas and recipes would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah, and I have a but of tools for mudding drywall that I use to smooth and perfect corners, and they are just used for baking.

marydelle Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 4:34pm
post #455 of 707

Hi everyone, is there any substitute for Crisco shortening? I live in UAE and it is not always available in stores...

beckback Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 4:03am
post #456 of 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelady1994

hi.has anyone ever tryed using heavy whipping in there buttercream icing.i use about 1/4 cup to my butter and crisco mix then add my powdered sugar.this cuts down on the sweet taste and it forms a good crumb coat . thumbs_up.gif




I use half & half, definitely cuts the sweet taste and makes the best chocolate buttercream!
I would recommend everyone try it at least once!

saradha Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:32pm
post #457 of 707

Hi Lisa,

I think by using a scrapper to smooth the sides of a cake, you can get a smooth or ridged scrapper at Wilton. All u need to do is place the scrapper at an angle of ur cake side and roll the cake on a turn table to get ur even sides.
And if its realy hard to get smooth sides then we could jus use a wid tooth comb and repeat the same process above.
buttercream cracking: if buttercream is over beaten or underbeaten it cud cause the buttercream to crack and curdle the butter.

we should also include buttercream cheats, whereby we could use hardened whipping cream or white chocolate to get a faux buttercream consistency which is lower in calories and fat. icon_lol.gif

PersonalizedCupcakes Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 4:39pm
post #458 of 707

I always find myself with timing questions when it comes to icing:

Once it is made, how long can you keep icing before you have to throw it away? (both shortening and butter versions)

Do you have to refrigerate the cake when the icing is made with butter?

Thanks!

rangermom Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 4:45pm
post #459 of 707

First thin coat of icing on your cakes then freeze. Then remove from the freezer and put a desired final coat of icing on your cakes, smooth the best you can.Take a damp brawny and fold it till it fits in your hand. Using your turn table spin your cake while using the damp brawny lightly against your cake, it will smooth out any uneven look. You can also lay a damp brawny on top of your cake and with your hand lightly smooth out any trouble spots.Brawny is lint free so no fears of a fuzzy cake.LOL thumbs_up.gif

ellentwn Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 10:33pm
post #460 of 707

i think i put a too much salt (to cut down on sweetness) in my butter cream. can i just add more ps? I'm using Indydeb's recipe. thanks

lismar12 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 7:43am
post #461 of 707

Hi..i am Lisa.I am from New York.
Twirlia creates impressive custom business websites designed to win clients, increase market share and outdo your competition.

lismar12 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 7:44am
post #462 of 707

Hi..i am Lisa.I am from New York.
Twirlia creates impressive custom business websites designed to win clients, increase market share and outdo your competition.

AmysCakesNCandies Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 5:37pm
post #463 of 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanakate

I think it would be helpful to have tips on how to get buttercream really smooth, not just smoothing on the cake but the frosting itself. You know, like no air bubbles in the frosting.




I use half & Half to thin my buttercream. sorry I don't measure so i cant say how much. But my trick to getting super smooth icing is to put a small amount in when you cream your butter & margarine (or shortening)- same time as adding you flavoring- before you start adding powdered sugar. This gives you a wetter base to start with. I add sugar a little bit at a time and about halfway through I add a little more half n half. after all the sugar s added i add more half n half until i get the right consistency and then whip on 5 on my kitchenaid for only about 30 seconds.

I like this super smooth BC for icing cakes- I prefer a slightly stiffer BC for decorating- I use milk to thin & do not add it until the end.

JustBakedCakes Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 2:53pm
post #464 of 707

I am new to cake decorating. After searching the net for tips and ideas I came across the Viva Method. I've done this on 2 cakes. I love how it works but I've come across a problem with it. After the cake has sat over night the icing has cracked. I used the Wiltons Buttercream recipe. Am I making the buttercream too stiff? Am I adding too much of something? This is really bothering me and I'd appreciate any tips on how to keep the icing from cracking after doing the Viva Method!! TIA!!

Sarona Posted 28 Oct 2010 , 11:54am
post #465 of 707

That's great. This is a very useful description. I would like to share it with my group.

Neese003 Posted 29 Oct 2010 , 3:10am
post #466 of 707

Help! I need a buttercream recipe that tastes great and will hold up under layers of fondant covered wedding cake.

SweetTreatstoEat Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 5:38pm
post #467 of 707

I sift my powder sugar, makes it finer and no bubbles....

Annabakescakes Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 4:09am
post #468 of 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2cupcakes

I am new to cake decorating. After searching the net for tips and ideas I came across the Viva Method. I've done this on 2 cakes. I love how it works but I've come across a problem with it. After the cake has sat over night the icing has cracked. I used the Wiltons Buttercream recipe. Am I making the buttercream too stiff? Am I adding too much of something? This is really bothering me and I'd appreciate any tips on how to keep the icing from cracking after doing the Viva Method!! TIA!!




Hi, I noticed you asked a question on how to keep the cracks from forming in your buttercream. One thing you can do is make sure your cake board is super stiff. If it flexes at all, and your icing is super crusty, crack!

Also, too much powdered sugar to crisco ration can cause it as well. You can try adding just a bit more crisco, like a couple tablespoons.

But if you are serious about "caking", then I recommend a good icing shortening, such as Alpine, rather than Crisco. I actually like to mix the two of them together. The Alpine can sometimes be a bit too soft, and the crisco helps a little crust form, just enough to smooth with a paper towel. The Alpine is EXPENSIVE though.

Hope this helps!

carrie70401 Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 1:27am
post #469 of 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by saradha

Hi Lisa,

I think by using a scrapper to smooth the sides of a cake, you can get a smooth or ridged scrapper at Wilton. All u need to do is place the scrapper at an angle of ur cake side and roll the cake on a turn table to get ur even sides.
And if its realy hard to get smooth sides then we could jus use a wid tooth comb and repeat the same process above.
buttercream cracking: if buttercream is over beaten or underbeaten it cud cause the buttercream to crack and curdle the butter.

we should also include buttercream cheats, whereby we could use hardened whipping cream or white chocolate to get a faux buttercream consistency which is lower in calories and fat. icon_lol.gif







Hi Saradha
Would you share your recipes that are lower in calories and fat. I am a weight watchers lifetime member and love my cake. I still eat it in moderation, but would love to have some options that were even a little lower in calories and fat.

Carrie

carrie70401 Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 1:29am
post #470 of 707

How long can you keep buttercream if it is made with water and crisco? Does it need to be refrigerated or can it stay out?

busybaking Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 8:59am
post #471 of 707

I have alittle girl with food intolerances and i make my buttercream with pure icing sugar, butter and milk, depending if i want it to crust or not decides on how much butter i use. i flavour it with cocoa, or natural vanilla. i use this on all my cakes requiring buttercream and every one loves it and its all additive free.

Cupcakeavenue Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 3:17pm
post #472 of 707

a great subject so many different recipes and so many great flavours.

Nannyartcakes Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 8:09pm
post #473 of 707

Jackie
How can I access this article
I'll will love it
Thanks

CallMeCupcake Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 10:49am
post #474 of 707

Just a quick question I usually use Ganache under my Fondant and was wanting to try buttercream - do you believe that is more stable if I refrigerate prior to applying the fondant or room temperature.
Thank you

CallMeCupcake Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 10:54am
post #475 of 707

Sorry I ment to added that I love all the cream / filling recipes on here and obviously they work beautifully and was just thinking of how they go under fondant and I always use ganache.

Thank you

Nannyartcakes Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 2:18am
post #476 of 707

Hi Jackie
Please, can you tell me how can I find this article that you posted.
I can't find it at articles.
thanks

Dessert_Diva Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 3:31pm
post #477 of 707

CallMeCupCake, I noticed you haven't received an answer which I'd like to know as well. I love using fondant and do use BC underneath. Being new to decorating it's a hit or miss because I find that if I put 1/4" or more of icing on the cake, I end up pushing the buttercream around underneath when I smooth the fondant. I tried scant, a little more than crumb coat amount, of BC which does work better but who wants straight cake with fondant only...lacks the BC yumminess. So I'm at an inbetween stage still looking for that perfect combination.
On a related note, I have many cake decorating books from wonderful decorators "down under" and they all use ganache. I'm going to give it a try the next time. Have you found any issues with that method?

pburgess68 Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 12:40am
post #478 of 707

I never saw an answer in all of these pages about what to use for high humidity/heat if you don't want the sickeningly sweet, disguisting taste of the Crisco recipes. One poster asked about the mixing of the Italian/French buttercream with the American but she never got a response. Would this work?

I am making a wedding cake in April on the southern east coast. My last one was a disaster as the clients didn't want the horrid Crisco one (don't blame them), and wanted an Italian buttercream. Sadly, after about 1/2 hr in the heat the decorations melted. I really don't want to repeat this fiasco.

It will be a 2-3 tier cake with white/offwhite buttercream of some sort. Not sure if buttercream or bettercream from Sam's would be better. Advice?

pburgess68 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 2:49am
post #479 of 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by pburgess68

I never saw an answer in all of these pages about what to use for high humidity/heat if you don't want the sickeningly sweet, disguisting taste of the Crisco recipes. One poster asked about the mixing of the Italian/French buttercream with the American but she never got a response. Would this work?

I am making a wedding cake in April on the southern east coast. My last one was a disaster as the clients didn't want the horrid Crisco one (don't blame them), and wanted an Italian buttercream. Sadly, after about 1/2 hr in the heat the decorations melted. I really don't want to repeat this fiasco.

It will be a 2-3 tier cake with white/offwhite buttercream of some sort. Not sure if buttercream or bettercream from Sam's would be better. Advice?


Anyone?

rntyler Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 1:47am
post #480 of 707

Exactly how do u use the paper towel method? About thinning buttercream I use light corn syrup.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%