OhMyGoodies Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 3:57pm

Hi Julie and welcome to CC! I don't know about the light and fluffy stuff but the cracking of the bc could be due to not enough support under the cake... when you have a larger cake no matter the shape you should use either a cake drum or 2-4 cake circles/boards depending on how big and how heavy the cake is going to be. Some people transport on one cake board but have that sitting on a piece of plywood... that's how I transport heavy cakes, if I'm not staying for the party I slowly remove the plywood from the cake and gently place it on the table they choose and inform them not to move it at all... if I'm staying at the party then I just leave the wood under it until the party is over.

Lynnscakes_sc Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 5:45pm

I keep my Crisco in the fridge for my butter cream and then take it out right before I use it. Where I live it gets really hot & humid (even though I keep the inside of my house cool, I noticied that it does affect the icing when I have left it out of the fridge). I also use pop corn salt instead of regular table salt. The salt is much finer and disolves faster. I have never had a problem with the icing being grainy.

jsclar03 Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 6:48am

I Think that this article should include info on consistencies, air bubbles, and storage time.

aztomcat Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 1:00am

I once worked in a craft store and we mixed our own flavorings.

BVA=1:2:1 1 part butter extract, 2 parts clear vanilla, 1 part almond

(the almond was creamy)

Between this flavor combination and a pinch of salt. I get plenty of compliments on my butter cream.

mbarbi Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 11:51am

i just made julie's less sweet buttercream...how long do i have to wait for it to crust?? thanks!

tonedna Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 10:00pm

someone ask why buttercream gets bubbles...Well the reason is cause is you over beat the buttercream in a high speed setting it will create inside bubble inside the buttercream...
There is no way ogf getting ridd of this after they are there...
So the best way to do your icing is ...First sift your sugar...cream the crisco and add the extract and then in the lowest setting trying to use a paddle not the whipped attachment(whipped attachment brings more air into it) Then add the powdered sugar(lowest speed pls) and as soon as all the sugar is there..stop the machine and finish by hand...
Add color by hand.. over mixing will bring more air into the buttercream..

jdelectables Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 2:17pm

mbarbi ~

It should be ready to smooth (crusted) in 15 min.

Julie

madgeowens Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 2:38am

I was using heavy cream there for a bit and then switched back to milk, and now that you mention it, I do think it cuts the sweet a bit....because of late I have thought my frosting too sweet. Thanks
I cut it with bottled water for crumb coat. icon_lol.gif

lnb19 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 4:15pm

Here is my issue with crusting buttercream. I LOVE the smooth appearance that it has on cakes, however, I think that in most cases, it is TOO sweet. Maybe this has already been answered in the 20 pages before this, but I will ask anyway. Does anyone have a great recipe for buttercream that is not super sweet but still 1) crust well 2) taste great and 3) is creamy? I tried the Buttercream dream recipe from this site and while I love the fact that it crust well and is creamy, I think it's very sweet.

lnb19 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 8:02pm

Here is my issue with crusting buttercream. I LOVE the smooth appearance that it has on cakes, however, I think that in most cases, it is TOO sweet. Maybe this has already been answered in the 20 pages before this, but I will ask anyway. Does anyone have a great recipe for buttercream that is not super sweet but still 1) crust well 2) taste great and 3) is creamy? I tried the Buttercream dream recipe from this site and while I love the fact that it crust well and is creamy, I think it's very sweet.

lnb19 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 8:02pm

madgeowens Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 8:12pm

1 stick of salted butter
1 cup shortening
1 tsp clear vanilla
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp meringue powder
4 cups of confectioner sugar
add Tbs of milk or heavy cream until it reaches desired consistancy

My family loves this frosting, but as far as sweetness everyone has different likes and dislikes. Try it....you can always use less sugar...good luck!

lnb19 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 8:39pm

Thanks! I will try it. Quick question...if I use less sugar, will the buttercream still crust?????

madgeowens Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 8:45pm

That you will have to use trial and error....I am not real accurate with my sugar...mine always crusts, if I do not use too much liquid. I think if it looks runny it won't. Let me know how you like it. icon_smile.gif

suzanne45 Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 7:55pm

I am a novice, and I keep reading about people using viva paper towels to smooth out icing (?)
For you experts out there, can you describe in detail the best method to smooth out icing on top and sides of a cake?

tonedna Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 6:13am

I use a scrapper...viva paper and a fondant smoother... icon_biggrin.gif

madgeowens Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 11:24pm

I put paper towel on butter cream frosting after it has crusted and use my hand to gently smooth over top of the paper towel..then up and down on the sides.......I tried fondant trowel and find it doesn't work as well as my warm hand! thumbs_up.gif

SugarMoonCakeCo Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 2:34am

i use "plain white bond paper" - i can't find patternless paper towel here - and find the bond paper leaves it super smooth

madgeowens Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 2:38am

Bond paper......is that the same thing as copy paper or printer paper? I tried that and it didnt work for me. Maybe I am not using what you are. I find that my warm hand smooths the frosting the best don't you?

CakeMommyTX Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 1:23am

I think I have tried every method out there so smooth my bc, but it seems the Houston humidty always wins until....The Melvira Method!!! I love it and i will never frost another cake with out my trusty roller by my side! thumbs_up.gif

madgeowens Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 2:17am

I will have to try that some time! icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 2:37pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourstrulytx

I think I have tried every method out there so smooth my bc, but it seems the Houston humidty always wins until....The Melvira Method!!! I love it and i will never frost another cake with out my trusty roller by my side! thumbs_up.gif

which one is the melvira method... icon_confused.gif

madgeowens Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 3:40pm

f you use that why would you ask what it is? icon_rolleyes.gif zI am confused here!
http://www.cakecentral.com/article83-Quick--Easy-Smooth-Icing-Using-a-Roller-Melvira-Method.html

madgeowens Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 3:42pm

hahaha oops sorry.....I thought you were the same person...I have something in my eye... icon_redface.gif

CakeMommyTX Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 4:57pm

Ok I bought some meringue powder the other day to try in my bc, how much should I use? I was just gonna wing it and add a tsp or two, but what does it actually do? I've heard it mentioned here and there so I figured what the heck, but just checking before I ruin a whole batch?

CakeMommyTX Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 5:02pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

which one is the melvira method... icon_confused.gif

It's the one were you use a paint roller to smooth the bc, I think it is super easy and I get the best result with it. There is an article on it here.
When I first wanted to try it out I told my hubby I needed a paint roller for my cake so he goes and fetches me a old dirty paint crusted one from the garage,I don't think so! He tries to help somethimes, but for the most part he is not allowed anywhere near one of my cakes! icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%