Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Buttercream

Decorating By Jackie Updated 26 May 2016 , 8:00pm by gfbaby

goof9j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goof9j Posted 8 May 2007 , 9:32pm
post #241 of 707

OMG! What a great idea. As a somewhat newbie, I get so confused. I try to save all the posts that I think will work for me, but to have 1 place for the buttercream icings, would be fantastic. thumbs_up.gif

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 10 May 2007 , 2:54am
post #242 of 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishynooshy

Is there a bc, that I can use to make roses but without any shortening. There isnt really any shortening (or great cake decorating materials)that I can get here in Australia unless I take a 2.5 hr ride. (*sigh* the life of a teenage outcast)

It's so hard to practise trying to make the little buggers with an all butter buttercream. (All butter with PS was pretty difficult, I don't know why I thought I could do it with SMBC. LOL)

Have you thought about purchasing hi-ratio shortening online? I'm not sure what shipping would be, but you use less of it than regular shortening anyway, and it will hold up better than butter!

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 10 May 2007 , 2:55am
post #243 of 707

by the way - when is this article going to be out?

BarbieCrocker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbieCrocker Posted 10 May 2007 , 6:26pm
post #244 of 707

I would love to know how to keep buttercream soft and creamy, not crusty!!! Thanks!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 10 May 2007 , 6:52pm
post #245 of 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbieCrocker

I would love to know how to keep buttercream soft and creamy, not crusty!!! Thanks!

I use this one from Baking 911 for my kid cakes and it's really good.. the only think I do different is switch the butter and shortening amounts around.. I like it more buttery.. It doesn't crust.

2 cups Crisco Shortening (can use hi-ratio shortening, if desired)
1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter , slightly soft but not mushy
1/4 to 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tsp. clear vanilla
2 pounds (8 cups) powdered sugar, sifted (measure, then sift)

DIRECTIONS:

In your mixer bowl, beat the shortening until it's smooth, add the butter and beat together until smooth and light and fluffy. Add smaller amount of the heavy cream indicated in the recipe and the vanilla and mix well.

Add half the powdered sugar and mix for 5 minutes on low-med. speed. Add remaining sugar and mix well. Add more cream or powdered sugar if necessary to adjust the consistency.

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 14 May 2007 , 1:30pm
post #246 of 707

I've heard about using powdered egg whites to stabilize buttercream, but I can't seem to find a recipe for it. I live in the tropics and keeping icing from wilting is an ongoing challenge. Any help on this subject would be great. I can't wait to read the article!

usaribbon.gif

Sunspotalli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunspotalli Posted 15 May 2007 , 8:41pm
post #247 of 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonjean

I found if I make my butttercream a few hours or day before it is easy to work with. I always sift my powdered sugar, I've had clogged tips to many times before I started sifting. I watch food network and have learned so much.
I also let my cake sit overnight to firm up.

Sharon icon_smile.gif

What is sifting the powdered sugar. I've seen it mentioned to prevent clogging of tips but how is it done? icon_smile.gif

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 15 May 2007 , 9:57pm
post #248 of 707

I have a question about IMBC - has anyone used salted butter instead of unsalted? Does it work any differently, or taste significantly different? Unsalted butter is just so expensive! At between $4-$5 per pound, it gets pretty pricey to make a batch.

DiscoLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiscoLady Posted 15 May 2007 , 10:07pm
post #249 of 707

[quote="jkalman"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbieCrocker

This seems like a lot of fat for this much pow.sug. Does it leave that filmy residue on the roof of your mouth??

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 15 May 2007 , 10:10pm
post #250 of 707

I just recently discovered that you can flavor a basic butter cream recipe with snow cone syrup. The lemon is clear, however, the apple, cherry, and grape are colored. But the colors are really great for kids and they love the flavor. To make it you just cut the liquid out, be it oils, liquid flavor, or water/milk.

Great idea to do an artical on BC!!!

bethyboop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethyboop Posted 21 May 2007 , 4:48am
post #251 of 707

What is sifting the powdered sugar. I've seen it mentioned to prevent clogging of tips but how is it done? icon_smile.gif[/quote]

sifting means getting out the lumps. I do it by pouring the powder sugar straight from the bag into a wire mesh strainer and then shaking it into the bowl.

HTH icon_smile.gif

ConnieSue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieSue Posted 28 May 2007 , 1:01am
post #252 of 707

I want to know how to make pretty square corners with buttercream. Mine are not good.

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 29 May 2007 , 3:14am
post #253 of 707

CakeLady, I also use whipping cream in my BC. The recipe I use is a little too soft and I needed somthing to thicken it up a bit. Still a little too soft but could also be because the weather is warmer. Still toying with it to see what I can do, most of the BC is way too sweet.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 29 May 2007 , 1:31pm
post #254 of 707

chocolateandpeanutbutter
I use salted butter only in my IMBC and SMBC. It turns out just as it would had I used unsalted. I just prefer the taste of the salted. It makes the icing not so flat or bland.

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 29 May 2007 , 7:03pm
post #255 of 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

chocolateandpeanutbutter
I use salted butter only in my IMBC and SMBC. It turns out just as it would had I used unsalted. I just prefer the taste of the salted. It makes the icing not so flat or bland.

Thanks so much for your answer! I've been wondering that for quite a while, and next time I make it, I'm going to try the salted for sure. I'm sure it will "liven up" the flavour. Costs less, too!

I was a little worried because I think I had read somewhere about the consistency of salted vs. unsalted would change the outcome. I couldn't figure out how a little salt could make so much difference.

Thanks again!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 30 May 2007 , 1:26am
post #256 of 707

Butter costs the same here whether salted or unsalted. I just tied it with the salted once and preferred the taste of it so I only use it that way now.

If you think about it, some add salt to egg whites to get them to whip better, right?

chefrachie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefrachie Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 5:02am
post #257 of 707

Just a quick note on smoothing buttercream. We use the very thin flexible fake credit cards that come with a new wallet. We even have a small wallet size picture that has been laminated. I first smooth with a bench scraper then finish with the flexible card with little or no pressure. Best trick I've come across.

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 3:26am
post #258 of 707

I have experimented with buttercream a lot and finally come to find that half real butter and half crisco is much better than only using crisco. I also use heavy cream or half and half instead of water. My husband is my taste tester and he's says this is the best.

chefrachie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefrachie Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 3:38am
post #259 of 707

Our buttercream is a high ratio shortening and butter, and evaporated milk, you get that "cooked" flavor with the evaporated milk but not the headache of the sugar syrup and whites.

kbla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbla Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 1:09am
post #260 of 707

Help! I have never had this problem. I ran out my regular shortening and had to use crisco my icing looks grity but its not grity. Cant get it smooth no mater what i try. Have todo a wedding cake tomorrow. What can i do.

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 10:33pm
post #261 of 707

Please include info about humid areas!! I moved to a coastal area and have had a heck of a time adjusting my recipe without making it tooo sweet. And Ive found that milk is a definate no no. icon_smile.gif

caincakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caincakemaker Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 5:05pm
post #262 of 707

My thing is to really cream the butter I mean for quite a while with the electric mixer. This does two things: 1.) makes the butter less yellow and more white and 2.) actually makes the end result more creamy.

Put all wet ingredients in after beating the butter. Then add, slowly, the sifted (or use the bagged powdered sugar so that it doesn't have lumps) powdered sugar. I also use a little salt, most recipes don't call for it, but pastry chefs the world over always say that a bit of salt brings out all the good flavors.

I also loved swiss and italian buttercream but don't find it to work to well when covering a cake with fondant.

That's my two cents, I do love buttercream but hey what could be wrong with a pound of butter and some sugar?!

crazycakes2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazycakes2007 Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 5:01am
post #263 of 707

Use a paddle attachment when making buttercream for fewer airbubbles.

Cheryl
Crazy Cakes

Jesjacster2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jesjacster2 Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 5:23am
post #264 of 707

I have a question...maybe a not so bright one but almond extract is made of the oils so if someone is allergic to nuts that would be a definite no no right? and the imitation is also from the oils right? or not?

CourtneysCustomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysCustomCakes Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 11:10pm
post #265 of 707

I had a couple people make comments about the butter cream frosting having a crisco taste. I never really noticed it until I tweaked my recipe a little. I now heat up my butter a little ( not completely melted ) before I add it to my crisco. I also started adding a little almond flavor ( not enough to give it a almondy taste) It really seems to make a difference. And I was suprised that It doesn't get to soft.

But it anyone has any other Ideas I'd love to hear them.

C icon_rolleyes.gif

Metalmonky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Metalmonky Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 7:40pm
post #266 of 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscakes

Good idea. Like, there are those who use milk vs. those who use water...which is the best? Can't wait to read what other's input will be. This will be the "Ultimate Addict" article! :0

I believe water is better than milk--because if you use milk you will have to refridgerate the cake--using water you don't have to worry about that. Sorry for my spelling-- icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif

Metalmonky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Metalmonky Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 7:51pm
post #267 of 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilaattaway

Has anyone tried the upside down trick in the articles. It is the best ever. I have a hard time spreading butter cream evenly, i hate not having a perfect, smooth cake. This is the best trick ever. Everyone should try it.

I agree!! thumbs_up.gif
And on another subject -- instead of using Viva Paper Towels - you can
aslo use parchment and/or wax paper to smoothe the icing.
I use parchment with the fondant smoothing tool or the fondant
wooden rolling tool. They work great as well.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 8:07pm
post #268 of 707

I believe water is better than milk--because if you use milk you will have to refridgerate the cake--using water you don't have to worry about that. Sorry for my spelling-- icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif[/quote]

I thought the sugar in icing acts as a preservative, so icing made with milk is fine to sit out. Thoughts?

cajundecoration Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cajundecoration Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 5:55pm
post #269 of 707

The tip that I have to offer relates to flavoring the icing. I have learned that whipping the shortening first for at least 1-2 minutes with the paddle attachment helps to loose it up. After whipping, I scrape down the bowl and the beater and add in my flavorings. Then, I set the mixer to low-medium speed. I scrape the bowl again and then add the powdered sugar and meringue powder. I also tend to use more flavoring to thin the icing than water.

Second, I'm not sure if anyone else here on CC has noticed a difference when using the new 0 grams Transfat Crisco. I have had so many problems with the shortening. It tends to maintain a gritty texture and often has clumps of shortening left behind, no matter how much I mix it. I saw a post in one forum that suggested adding milk, but then you must refrigerate it. I purchased the off-brand from WM and must say that it performed quite well. It took just a tad longer to crust; but all in all, it is much better than the new shortening formula.

Tinarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinarie Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 9:35pm
post #270 of 707

I have two cookbooks from Magnoia Bakery in NY and the buttercream recipe is yummy. It uses milk and unsalted butter. It's fluffy and tasty. I've never tried a buttercream recipe like it. I've made several. In the past I only used the Wilton buttercream recipe half butter and half shortening. It great too but sweet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%