Wire Decorations

Decorating By LisasCakesNM Updated 8 May 2008 , 5:30am by Liana

LisasCakesNM Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:29am
post #1 of 15

I always seen Duff using wire on his cakes as decoration. Is that safe? Is there a certain wire you should use?

14 replies
NikkiDoc Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:32am
post #2 of 15

I heard somewhere that regular wire can rust inserted into icing/cake. I think there is a certain kind you can use. Not sure, would like to know too.

whyteicing Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:34am
post #3 of 15

ive heard of 2 types: florist wire and jewelry wire. you can use straws or coffee stirrers pushed into the cake, and then insert the wire.

I havent tried this yet.

Michelle104 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:34am
post #4 of 15

I'll bump you guys b/c I too am interested in the answer!!

Michelle104 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:35am
post #5 of 15

Ok~ Stupid question, if you use straws wouldn't the wire just slide through the hole in the bottom?

Doug Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:36am
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle104

Ok~ Stupid question, if you use straws wouldn't the wire just slide through the hole in the bottom?

not if straw goes all the way down to the cake board.

KelCake Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:37am
post #7 of 15

I've coated the ends in chocolate or used the flower holders as well. I was told to NEVER EVER stick wires directly into your cake. One could easily come off of a decoration and end up in someone's mouth.

msauer Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:40am
post #8 of 15

I use straws all the time when I am using wire. I just got the tip last week to use coffee stirrers when you have only single wire flowers/decoration.

You push the straw in first until it hits a cake board then you put the wire into the straw. I tell my customers that they are there not only in some cakes in place of wooden dowel rods, but also to keep from contaminating your cake...from both the wire itself as well as possible small shards of metal that may flake off the ends.

Sorry...as I am typing I realize others have already beat me to the punch!

Michelle104 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 4:21am
post #9 of 15

Thanks everyone!

LisasCakesNM Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 8:05pm
post #10 of 15

Thanks, I knew he couldn't just stick wire into the cake but I didn't know hoe he did it. I have a custom that loves that show and wants a cake with the crazy wire decorations coming off the sides like he does! Thanks guys!!

pumpkinroses Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 8:15pm
post #11 of 15

I was just searching for this information a few days ago and I read that you can take a straw cut it down and put fondant into the straw to hold the wire in place. The cake I'm doing for next week called for a posy pick, which I couldn't find anywhere here in the states and that is what I found.

jmt1714 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 8:40pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelCake

I've coated the ends in chocolate or used the flower holders as well. I was told to NEVER EVER stick wires directly into your cake. One could easily come off of a decoration and end up in someone's mouth.

Maybe it depends on how you construct it, but with the flowers and such I'm doing, I just don't see how the wire would come off - there is about 2 inches of tape covered wire (often thick if it is a spray) inserted into the cake - since I have to use wire cutters to cut it, I just don't see it breaking off.

jmt1714 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 8:41pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisasCakesNM

Thanks, I knew he couldn't just stick wire into the cake but I didn't know hoe he did it. I have a custom that loves that show and wants a cake with the crazy wire decorations coming off the sides like he does! Thanks guys!!

some people do, some people don't. personal preference for the most part, I suspect.

KimAZ Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 10:19pm
post #14 of 15

I've used 18 or 20 gauge wire. Sometimes it comes prewrapped with either green or white florist tape. Sometimes not. I recently did a cake with a lot of fondant decorations that were supported by plain old green florist wire. ( Movie themed cake in my profile) I left about 3 inches of wire at the bottom of each decoration so it could slide down into the straws and inserted them into the cake that way. My straws did not go to the bottom of the cake board however. But rather, with the size of the decoration, ithey rested right on top of the cake so no wire was showing. Hope that makes sense.

KimAZ

Liana Posted 8 May 2008 , 5:30am
post #15 of 15

This was just the thread I needed. But I have one more question. If I want to do the wire thingies sticking out of the cake, does my cake need to be covered in Fondant to give it a little more stiffness, or can I stick them into a buttercream frosted cake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%