Fondant Easy Lifter

Decorating By thin4life Updated 22 Sep 2013 , 1:01pm by MustangMollie

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 4 Jan 2006 , 12:34am
post #1 of 26

Has anyone ever heard of this and why on earth would it cost $236.50???

http://caljavaonline.com/fondanteasylifter-lg.htm

25 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 4 Jan 2006 , 12:39am
post #2 of 26

I have seen a similar item and thought it was a pretty cool, yet simple concept. I can't for the life of me figure out why it would cost soooo much either. Don't think I'll be buying one! LOL!!

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 4 Jan 2006 , 12:56am
post #3 of 26

Thin...I've seen them used in some books I have...UK and Aussie decorating books.

I saw them on the Sugarcraft site...yes very expensive.

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 4 Jan 2006 , 12:59am
post #4 of 26

Thin4life, save your money and use a 30 cent cardboard cake circle sprinkled with powdered sugar or cornstarch!

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 4 Jan 2006 , 12:59am
post #5 of 26

I've seen this too--and thought it was really cool 'til I saw the price! I think the only reason it can possibly be this expensive is because the manufacturers think it can be. icon_eek.gif I even heard this is the less expensive version! The more expensive one is made of metal. Guess I'll keep doing it the old-fashioned way too icon_lol.gif

Shalom!

gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 4 Jan 2006 , 1:17am
post #6 of 26

I agree, it is priced WAY TOO high. I just use cardboard circles like tastycakes said. But I am a cheapskate as my family calls me.

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 4 Jan 2006 , 1:32am
post #7 of 26

It would appear to be marketed by someone who thinks we're not very bright........ wowzers!
GMA.....I'm memorizing the key strokes on your avatar so I can run to the piano and see if it's anything I should know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 4 Jan 2006 , 1:34am
post #8 of 26

I've seen these used on a video, and they are really handy, but no way would i pay that amount. I reckon it'd be pretty easy to make one though.
hm
Nati

MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 12:30am
post #9 of 26

I e-mailed them and asked why the $$$$...

Perhaps a silly question, but what makes the Fondant Easy Lifter so darned expensive? It's a neat idea, but I don't see what would make it worth over $200... does it do something special other than allowing you to pick up rolled fondant?

this is the reply:

Dear Melissa,
Fondant Lifter is made with high tech plastic material unfortunately this material is very costly. This lifter will do upto 22 inch diameter cakes, therefore need large size of material. Fondant lifter is not only neat idea but is time saving tools for those who are using rolled fondant. Not for everybody of course. Yes it is only to pick up rolled fondant there is not other purpose.
the advantages: to minimize cracking, to avoid folding, to be as table as well, to keep rolling fondant in higienic and control surface, to save time 60% less effort.
Regards,
Daniel Budiman
CalJava International, Inc
Editor-In-Chief "Here Comes The Cake" magazine
Cakevisions.com
19519 Business Center Drive. Northridge, CA 91324
ph:818.718.2707 fax:818.718.2715

MustangMollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustangMollie Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 10:05pm
post #10 of 26

AWhat's the cheapest anyone has found the fondant lifters for? I liked at an Aussie came decorating site and they're going for over $400 here!!!

I just contacted a local plastics distributer and I can buy sheets of food grade plastic from them. I'm a self employed jeweller by day and cake decorator by night (as a hobby) so from the jewellery side of things I already own a CNC machine ... I'm going to try making my own. Might even try making a plastic rolling pin with handles and ball bearings. Gosh I love getting my geek on! :)

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 10:43pm
post #11 of 26

AHere's an old thread. Someone bought it long ago. I do think it's a neat idea.

http://cakecentral.com/t/53045/does-anyone-own-a-fondant-easy-lifter

MustangMollie Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 1:29am
post #12 of 26

AThanks imaginethatnj. I looked through all the old threads but the links seem to all be out of date. Using google I can't find it for any less than $250, but I was just wondering if anyone here knows of a cheaper source :) Thanks!

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 1:37am
post #13 of 26

MustangMollie, I cannot find this thing when I google it and the old links that I tried seem to be broken.  Have you considered buying 'The Mat'.  Heaps cheaper and can do any shape of cake.  You will read mixed reports in the threads but I absolutely love it. Just make sure if you get one that you season it properly before you start.

imagenthatnj Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 2:21am
post #14 of 26

I did not even know that it was being sold anymore. That thing is from 2006-2008, and then it disappeared from all the blogs and forums, probably because not too many people bought it and everyone just learned to do it the old way, using their arms.

It used to show up in blogs with the agbay and agbay jr. to torte and level your cakes...with the stress-free cake support system to stack your cakes...with the cake safe to deliver your cakes...but since they were all expensive, not too many people would buy them. I haven't seen that fondant lifter anywhere around here, for the past two years.

MustangMollie Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 2:57am
post #15 of 26

AHi Cazza, I think the matt is something different. My understand is that the may is only for rolling fondant but that the fondant lifter is for rolling it and draping it on your cake. It's this right?

MustangMollie Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 3:00am
post #16 of 26

AHere is a link to the fondant lifter sugarteachers.blogspot.com.au/2009/07/fondant-made-easier-with-lifter.html?m=1

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 3:24am
post #17 of 26

No, totally wrong.  You roll your fondant on the mat and then pick the whole mat up, with the fondant attached and drape it over your cake.  If you go to the 'Streetwise' site they have free videos to watch that show you how to use it.  That was how I got sucked in initially and now I wouldn't be without it.

imagenthatnj Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 3:31am
post #18 of 26

MustangMollie, that fondant lifter thing is a very old thing. I found a place where they sell it, cheaper, but all the other links on this side of the world are dead now. You won't find that fondant lifter in any reputable place here. Maybe the places that have it around you have old inventory?

About the Mat, I've heard bad things about it, and also that some people love it. Wouldn't you try to cover cakes without using any of this stuff first? You might be able to do it without anything, plenty of people do it.

Here are some links I've found.

http://www.oasissupply.com/FONDANT-LIFTER-SET/dp/B00D47II82

http://cakecentral.com/t/40032/make-your-own-cheap-fondant-lifter

http://cakecentral.com/t/282133/has-anyone-ever-used-those-fondant-lifter-rings

http://cakecentral.com/t/19129/anyone-try-use-fondant-lifter

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fondant-Rolling-Rings-Fondant-Lifter-Set-/110705435813?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

MustangMollie Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 5:56am
post #19 of 26

AI've tried about a half a dozen times with my hands and fondant sorbets and I'm very frustrated. I keep getting tearing along the upper edge of my cakes. I have really pretty design ideas but they look capt with bad fondant :(

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 6:00am
post #20 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by MustangMollie 

I've tried about a half a dozen times with my hands and fondant sorbets and I'm very frustrated. I keep getting tearing along the upper edge of my cakes. I have really pretty design ideas but they look capt with bad fondant icon_sad.gif

I can guarantee it will be something really simple that you are either doing wrong or maybe not doing....    there are so many variables it is difficult to say 'what' here - where abouts are you in Australia - if you were to be able to have a hands on lesson I am sure you would be on the right track in no time

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 9:55am
post #21 of 26

What's a fondant sorbet?

ApplegumPam Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 9:56am
post #22 of 26

thing its a typo..... fondant smoother??

MustangMollie Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 11:12am
post #23 of 26

ALol ... yup it was a typo ... Thank you auto correct ;) though fondant sorbet sounds yummy!

MustangMollie Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 11:12am
post #24 of 26

AI'm going to do some lessons at planet cake ... Though I'm in Adelaide.

ApplegumPam Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 11:15am
post #25 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by MustangMollie 

I'm going to do some lessons at planet cake ... Though I'm in Adelaide.

Join the Cake Decoraters Association - its only about $40 a year - and you will have access to a WEALTH of talent !!

You have some of Australia's best decoraters there!

MustangMollie Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 1:01pm
post #26 of 26

AThanks ApplegumPam! I didn't know about the cake decorators association, I'm totally going to join :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%