Stopping Dry Cakes...14" Fondant Covered Cake???

Decorating By melze Updated 4 Jan 2006 , 8:40am by boonenati

melze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melze Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 11:02pm
post #1 of 3

okay, so Ive read a couple of posts about cakes getting dry... and im starting to get a bit worried about the wedding cake Im doing for this weekend. Any advice would be most welcome.
I am makeing a 3 tiered chocolate cake..bottom tier mud cake (which should be fine) but the other two are chocolate cake. I was a bit concerned that she wanted this at first..(so convincing her to have the mud cake denser base) but I thought it should be okay. They are all in the freezer, and I intend on defrosting the 14" mud today to decorate tomorrow, then I thought I would just do the chocolate ones on friday so they would be as fresh as possible. I am covering them with a layer of almond icing, then a layer of fondant. (typical christmas and wedding cake stuff over here!!). should they be okay????? how do I make sure they dont go dry???

one more question...im icing a 14" in rolled fondAnt I think you guys call it...or wedding cake icing (for us aussie amatures!!!). I have never done one this big, I am worried eveen more about it tearing or getting wrinkles on the corners/ edges. Any failproof suggestions???
thanks, mel

2 replies
auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 3

Hi! What works well for myself and a friend that has been doing cakes for years is to freeze cakes and take out of the freezer on Thursday and frost w/crumb coat to keep the moisture in. On Friday frost the final layer. This keeps the crumbs under control (frosting should set up and dry to the touch,not sticky). It also allows for the expansion of the cake which happens when you thaw it and helps avoid that center bulge that can occur. This would be for a Saturday wedding. For fondant it will work also, just don't use as much buttercream on the final coat. Good Luck I'm sure you'll do great!

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 4 Jan 2006 , 8:40am
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by melze

okay, so Ive read a couple of posts about cakes getting dry... and im starting to get a bit worried about the wedding cake Im doing for this weekend. Any advice would be most welcome.
I am makeing a 3 tiered chocolate cake..bottom tier mud cake (which should be fine) but the other two are chocolate cake. I was a bit concerned that she wanted this at first..(so convincing her to have the mud cake denser base) but I thought it should be okay. They are all in the freezer, and I intend on defrosting the 14" mud today to decorate tomorrow, then I thought I would just do the chocolate ones on friday so they would be as fresh as possible. I am covering them with a layer of almond icing, then a layer of fondant. (typical christmas and wedding cake stuff over here!!). should they be okay????? how do I make sure they dont go dry???

one more question...im icing a 14" in rolled fondAnt I think you guys call it...or wedding cake icing (for us aussie amatures!!!). I have never done one this big, I am worried eveen more about it tearing or getting wrinkles on the corners/ edges. Any failproof suggestions???
thanks, mel

Mel
are your choc cakes going to be layered at all?? If so make yourself some liquid sugar and paint or spray each layer with that before putting your fillings
Where in Oz are you?? Im in Melbourne, can't wait to see one of your creations. All the best with the wedding cake
Nati

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%