Copyright..so Confused?

Business By melissaanne Updated 20 Jan 2006 , 11:03pm by LNW

Cakeman66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeman66 Posted 20 Jan 2006 , 8:26pm
post #31 of 34

it's as simple as getting something for nothing.

I mean, I'm not the brightest bulb in the light socket, but it only took once for my brother hitting me over the head with a Zim-Zam racket to know I didn't want it to happen again. 75 stiches inside and outside, and I gave up Zim-Zam.

beez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beez Posted 20 Jan 2006 , 8:49pm
post #32 of 34

When I took the Wilton courses, our teacher told us it was illegal to sell cakes made with the copywrited characters UNLESS we sold the pan too. She said if you sell the pan too then the customer has the right to have a cake prepared in that pan because the customer then owns the same copywrite rights we originally got when we purchased the pan.

She did go on to say her customers often donate the pan back to her for future use.

I'm not sure this is all legal, but she did teach it in a Wilton class as a "warning" type thing.

Just curious what you all think...

Cakeman66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeman66 Posted 20 Jan 2006 , 8:55pm
post #33 of 34

not so.

Because "THEY" are not paying a royalty by buying the pan new. It's the same as buying an "illegal" cake. ESPECIALLY if the pan is "donated" back to the baker. That is even more illegal because they end up doing it repeatedly.

LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 20 Jan 2006 , 11:03pm
post #34 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyVA

Yes, you can sell a cake that has plastic character toys on it. You can go to Walmart and buy a batman or whatever and put it on your cake for sale or you can buy the cake topper kits and resell those. Whomever manufactured these characters has the liscense to do so and if you purchase it then the copyright owner has made their cut. The item is yours and you can resell it if you want to.

The reason that just anyone can't buy cake toppers from some suppliers is that they only sell to liscensed bakers that collect sales tax. Wholesalers do not charge sales tax because bakeries make the final product and the sales tax is collected at that time. Otherwise some items would be taxed twice, but if they sold to people that do not collect sales tax then the items would never be taxed and the government wouldn't be getting any money at all and that is just not going to work for them! Ya know! icon_smile.gif

Whew. That's normally how I handle it if someone asks me for a cake with a copyrighted image on it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%