Cookies On A Stick....

Baking By JennT Updated 6 Jan 2006 , 6:10pm by Cake_Princess

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 5:13am
post #1 of 18

I know this is probably a no-brainer...lol...but since I've never done it before, I thought I'd ask how to first! icon_rolleyes.gif I'm going to do some cookie bouquets for Valentine's day...but don't know how to get the cookie on the stick... icon_redface.gif Do you put the stick into the dough after you've cut it out & placed it on your sheet pan? Or do you insert the stick after it's baked?

I was also wondering ... how big is too big for a cookie on a stick? Will a 3 or 4 inch cookie be ok or too big? They're going to be inserted into styrofoam which will be inside baskets, pots, etc.

Any advice is appreciated!! TIA icon_smile.gif

JennT

17 replies
Sory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sory Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 5:31am
post #2 of 18

Hello, JennT! You need to insert the sticks into the dough after you cut them out & placed them on your sheet pan. And the size depends on the length of the sticks. Sorry, I can't help you with that one! icon_redface.gif
Bye!
Sory.

JennT Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 6:47am
post #3 of 18

Thanks, Sory! icon_smile.gif That's what I figured. Maybe someone else knows what size cookie is too big to put on a stick?? Anyone....

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennT

I know this is probably a no-brainer...lol...but since I've never done it before, I thought I'd ask how to first! icon_rolleyes.gif I'm going to do some cookie bouquets for Valentine's day...but don't know how to get the cookie on the stick... icon_redface.gif Do you put the stick into the dough after you've cut it out & placed it on your sheet pan? Or do you insert the stick after it's baked?

I was also wondering ... how big is too big for a cookie on a stick? Will a 3 or 4 inch cookie be ok or too big? They're going to be inserted into styrofoam which will be inside baskets, pots, etc.

Any advice is appreciated!! TIA icon_smile.gif

JennT

I generally use the short Wilton cookies sticks. The stick is inserted about half way in to The cookie and a little less. My cookies are about 4 inches.

Take a look in album and you will see the sunflower and rosebud cookies.

I insert my cookie sticks before I bake them. I personally don't want to risk having my cookies break after baking while trying to insert the sticks, burn my hands, or end up with deformed cookies. Plus I dont see The point of having the extra step of having to melt chocolate To attach The sticks when the sticks can be baked in to the cookie. But that's just my way of thinking. Do what ever makes it easier for you.

JennT Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 6:42pm
post #5 of 18

Thanks, CakePrincess! So the sticks don't burn, right? Do I have to soak them in water or something beforehand?

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 8:47pm
post #6 of 18
Quote:

Thanks, CakePrincess! So the sticks don't burn, right? Do I have to soak them in water or something beforehand?

I was thinking about this too. Are these special sticks we need to use?

I saw in "Sweet Dreams" how the hostess was making poinsetta cookies and she stuck the sticks in the cookie though and then wrapped them up to look like poinsettas.

Now, she didn't say you had to use special sticks, so I wonder.... icon_cool.gif

Sherryb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherryb Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 8:52pm
post #7 of 18

Just use the cookie sticks. You don't have to soak them or do anything special.

Sherry

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 9:19pm
post #8 of 18

icon_smile.gif I've made really huge very thick sugar cookies on a stick and I used dowels...then in a styrofoam inside a flower pot.

when I make Cheesecake on a stick, I used the white ones, same one for chocolate.

JennT Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 9:47pm
post #9 of 18

Oh my gosh! Would you please share your recipe for Cheesecake on a Stick???!!! I've never heard of that....sounds sooooo yummy! icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 9:55pm
post #10 of 18

For sugar cookies (cut outs) I inserted the bigger cookie stick before baking...doesn't burn or anything like that.

I did make mini chocolate chip cookies and that time I inserted the stick immediately after baking and then let it set. That seemed to work very well. My choc chip cookies are VERY soft after baking (I like mine really soft and chewy) and so since they rise so much I was afraid the stick would move during baking. Afterwards worked just fine.

Just remember to never handle the stick at all until the cookies are cooled. And parchment paper works great to make sure the cookies are easy to remove and put on a baking rack without hurting the sticks.

Cake_Princess Posted 4 Jan 2006 , 7:52am
post #11 of 18
Quote:

No just insert them in the dough. Paper burns at 451 F. So you would have To pretty much stick them on the electric element or in the fire before they will start to burn.

Sorry, I just log in or else I would have answered sooner

Cake_Princess Posted 4 Jan 2006 , 7:58am
post #12 of 18
Quote:

Oh my gosh! Would you please share your recipe for Cheesecake on a Stick???!!! I've never heard of that....sounds sooooo yummy! icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

Cheese cake on a stick. There is a company that makes them. Here is the basic idea.

Make your cheese cake and let it cool. Cut in to wedges. Insert popsicle sticks in the fat end of the wedge. Then you can dip the entire thing in chocolate and add sprinkles or what every you like.

Oh I just found the company that makes Cheesecake on a stick. Here is the website

http://www.undergroundcheesecake.com/

southernbelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernbelle Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 2:43am
post #13 of 18

JennT,

I just made cookie boquets for Christmas gifts. I too put the cookie sticks in before baking. Some of the cookies I made were pretty large and they did just fine.

I even carried them on a plane (with a transfer) in a carry on and all got there safe and sound. All the way from Nashville to Denver icon_eek.gif

The cookie sticks I bought from a neighborhood cake decorating store. Of course I used the No-Fail receipe here on cc.

I did try another receipe for "cut out" cookies that is made with sweetned condensed milk. This was the easiest dough to roll and cut and it didn't spread when baked. I am going to make my Valentine's cookie boquets out of that dough and will post pictures. More compliments on the cut out cookie receipe than the no-fail.

MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 3:18am
post #14 of 18

Recipe... please Southernbelle?

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 6 Jan 2006 , 4:01am
post #15 of 18

Also, the popsicle sticks or craft sticks don't burn either.
Hugs Squirrelly

JennT Posted 6 Jan 2006 , 4:28am
post #16 of 18

Yes, Southernbelle....please do share the recipe!!

Thanks SC for that info...I didn't know you could use those as well! icon_smile.gif

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 6 Jan 2006 , 5:28am
post #17 of 18
Quote:

Yes, Southernbelle....please do share the recipe!!

Thanks SC for that info...I didn't know you could use those as well! icon_smile.gif

Heehee, well that just shows me age, because that was what we used before the cookie sticks came out. I still use them but, what the heck, I went new age today and had hubby pick up some white ones. And they say you can't teach an old squirrel new tricks! I do like the craft sticks because I can get a huge pack of them at the dollar store unlike in the old days where they were much more expensive.
I was making these some 30 years ago, geesh, well at least I remember that, haha!
Hugs SQuirrelly

Cake_Princess Posted 6 Jan 2006 , 6:10pm
post #18 of 18

I have used the popsicle sticks too.. They work just as well and they Are much cheaper LOL...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%