How To Edible Image Plaques

Decorating By boween Updated 20 Jun 2014 , 3:15am by poey223

boween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
39 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 4:28am
post #2 of 40

T H A N K Y O U ! ! very well done and so easy to understand and it looks to do!

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 4:34am
post #3 of 40

That is sooo cool! I wanna do it!!

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 4:38am
post #4 of 40

Process looks easy enough, I have all the supplies here to try it!!!

Stupid question though: How do you use these after you have it made? Sorry, I just don't know if I've ever seen one of these before? I learn so much on here...would like to try this, too!

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 6:57pm
post #5 of 40

Thanks.

Cenicienta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cenicienta Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 7:18pm
post #6 of 40

Perdona amiga...te hice la pregunta sin haber visto tu segundo articulo...ya entendi como hiciste tan bella imagen...esta hermosa...gracias.. icon_smile.gif

awela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awela Posted 5 Mar 2006 , 4:38pm
post #7 of 40

What kind of paper of paper do you use as I read in the instructions "remove the image from the backing" .

Thanks!

stylishbite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stylishbite Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 11:17am
post #8 of 40

8Thank you! I had posted a thread asking how to do these this weekend! It was reffering to most of your cakes icon_biggrin.gif
Thanks again, now all I need is a image/cake printer icon_sad.gif Soon enough!

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 12:24pm
post #9 of 40

Thanks so much for posting this. I can't wait to give this a try. There are so many uses!! Now I just have to look into a new printer. icon_biggrin.gif

StampinLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StampinLady Posted 22 Mar 2006 , 11:35pm
post #10 of 40

Do you have to have the copycake printer in order to do this?

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 23 Mar 2006 , 6:02am
post #11 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinLady

Do you have to have the copycake printer in order to do this?

No. You just need a compatible inkjet/Bubble Jet printer like a Canon iP3000

StampinLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StampinLady Posted 23 Mar 2006 , 8:53pm
post #12 of 40

Is the image edible? Is the Canon iP3000 a printer that uses food color ink? Sorry, I don't know a whole lot about the computer end of it. Thanks for the info

Lisa Posted 23 Mar 2006 , 10:17pm
post #13 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinLady

Is the image edible? Is the Canon iP3000 a printer that uses food color ink? Sorry, I don't know a whole lot about the computer end of it. Thanks for the info

Yes the image is edible and printed onto frosting/icing sheets (like thin layers of dried frosting pressed onto a plastic backing) using edible inks and a compatible Canon printer. Many Canon printers are compatible with edible ink cartridges (printer cartridges filled with food coloring) but the iP3000 is one of the more recent ones.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 23 Mar 2006 , 10:22pm
post #14 of 40

thank for all the info. Lo and Behold, I have another question anyway; if all I have is a regular HP printer for everday printing, don't I need another printer? It sounds like the Ink Jet Bubble Printer is another kind of printer. Thanks

Lisa Posted 23 Mar 2006 , 10:29pm
post #15 of 40

There are edible ink cartridges available for HP printers but you'd need a new printer, one that hasn't been used with standard inks because of the health risk of cross contamination. Canon printers are also recommended over HP or Epson because the print head can be easily removed to be cleaned, serviced or replaced which is really important with edible imaging.

SimplyDenyse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyDenyse Posted 22 May 2006 , 7:27pm
post #16 of 40

Boween - thanks for this post!! I am about to try this out and have a few questions.

1) For the image in your example about how much fondant and how much gumpaste did you use, 1 cup each?

2) when you stick your image onto the fondant/gumpaste how long does it typically take to dry and harden?

3) How many days in advance can I make this before it goes bad? Will it go bad?

4) What holds the image up on the cake? A popsicle stick?

Thanks in advance!!

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 22 May 2006 , 9:32pm
post #17 of 40

now that's what I'm talking about boween! thanks so much for posting. you give such clear instructions.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 12:45am
post #18 of 40

I had a question about alignment. I have a Cannon PIXMA iP6000D because I couldnt find a cannon 3000 ANYWHERE!

and it's not centering my images, they are printing off center to the left as you look onto the image.

Do you have any idea what to do? or should I just call cannon or Kopy Kake?

( I think I answered my own question!)

lol

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 2:01am
post #19 of 40

Gosh I want to try this BUT isn't this printer expensive and is the ink expensive?

bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 2:12am
post #20 of 40

Boween!!!! I THINK I LOVE YOU!!!! icon_lol.gif

I love seeing directions with pictures. YOU ARE THE BEST! I cannot wait to get this printer and try it. YEA!

bj icon_wink.gif

bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 2:14am
post #21 of 40

I thought about a question......... Can you save the excess gumpaste/fondant mixture for future plaques? If so, do you just store it in a ziplock bag in an air tight container?

THANKS AGAIN, AGAIN, AGAIN!

BJ icon_wink.gif

Lisa Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 2:49am
post #22 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisqueBusiness

I had a question about alignment. I have a Cannon PIXMA iP6000D because I couldnt find a cannon 3000 ANYWHERE!

and it's not centering my images, they are printing off center to the left as you look onto the image.

lol

Depending on the program you're printing with, you may need to adjust your margins/settings so it prints centered at a size of 7.5x10" (the standard size frosting sheet). I make my images that size and then use the option to center them on the page. Prints perfect. If it's off just a little bit though, you might need to perform a print head alignment.

Lisa Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 2:52am
post #23 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedecor

Gosh I want to try this BUT isn't this printer expensive and is the ink expensive?

It depends on which printer you use. The least expensive is a 2 cartridge printer like the Canon iP1500 (about $50-$75 new on eBay). The ink and frosting sheets for that printer at www.kopykake.com are less than $30 ea.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 12:11pm
post #24 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa

Quote:

lol

Depending on the program you're printing with, you may need to adjust your margins/settings so it prints centered at a size of 7.5x10" (the standard size frosting sheet). I make my images that size and then use the option to center them on the page. Prints perfect. If it's off just a little bit though, you might need to perform a print head alignment.

I downloaded the free program from Kopy Kake, that's the program I'm using. It did the same thing at home and it's doing the same thing at the shop. When I do the cookie or business card print..I lose the whole first row due to poor alignment.

Thanks for the quick answer...I will have to check into that as soon as I get there today..if not....2 call are in order ..one to cannon and one to KopyKake..lol

Lisa Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 5:30pm
post #25 of 40
Quote:

Thanks for the quick answer...I will have to check into that as soon as I get there today..if not....2 call are in order ..one to cannon and one to KopyKake..lol

It's been a long time since I've used that software but someone else was having that same problem and fixed it by changing the borderless printing option.

sandi64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandi64 Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 11:14am
post #26 of 40

After following all the directions given my plaque came out fine but after it was sitting for a day the colors began to run(did black and white). Does anyone know what I did wrong?? Thanks!

Brendansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendansmum Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 11:33am
post #27 of 40

Just my two cents: I usually use water to adhear my edible images to the fondant. After seeing this article I tried the piping gel and it took a lot longer for my plaque to dry.

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 11:38am
post #28 of 40

I iuse water as well--a lot easier. I'm not sure why the colors would bleed, sandi64. I have never had an image bleed. icon_sad.gif

lauramw71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauramw71 Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 2:18pm
post #29 of 40

oohhhh I want one SO bad!!! Someone was going to give me a used one. But I had to turn her down cuz you're not supposed to use a printer that's had regular ink in it. Oh well... I'll get one eventually lol

sandi64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandi64 Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 3:16pm
post #30 of 40

I did have a hard time applying the piping gel and the plaque was not fully dry when I put it on the cake. The image was just black on the white sugarsheet background and the black ran red into the white I just don't
understand what happened. This was one of many problems I had making the edible image(my colors didn't come out correctly for my tinerbell...her face was red!) I would love to know what I'm doing wrong! Thanks for everyone's help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%