New Business Starter..in A Rut!

Business By JennB Updated 12 Jan 2006 , 1:17am by pinkflamingo

JennB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennB Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 3:22am
post #1 of 10

I've started really getting into making cakes for money now... I've done the family and friends thing also.. but i have a few questions. Has anyone tried a magnetic sign on thier car? and if so how has the feedback been from it? I think that the hardest part is the time of year when family and freinds don't need cakes. hahaha any ideas to help me self promote would be greatly appreciated. i was also thinking about renting a table at a few church craft and home business shows. has anyone done this ?? Please help! i want this to be a successful and profitable business. thanks for all of your feedback. JennB
Cakes by Jenn
Jacksonville, FL icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif .

9 replies
LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 3:40am
post #2 of 10

Promoting your business depends on the State Health Department guidelines. Do you have a commercial kitchen and a permit or license?

Where I live, word-of-mouth is the only form of advertising unless you have a commercial kitchen with a license/permit.

I would suggest that you check with your local health department first. That is, if you don't have the license.

JamieL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamieL Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 10

Your cakes look terrific! I think your word of mouth is probably really good!

Just my opinion, but when I'm in traffic behind some truck that isn't driving very well and it has a particular business name on it, I know I might not be thinking the nicest thoughts about that business! That may not be logical to link bad driving to business quality, but just something to consider.

Websites are great advertising, even if you focus locally--I think a lot of people search there. Another thing would be to deliver refrigerator magnets (as well as business cards) with your orders, so people can easily refer to your number for their next occasion. This might seem weird, but as a Mom, I spend a lot of time in kitchens with my friends while the kids are together, so the refrigerator magnet might advertise to friends of current clients, even if the current clients forget to advertise themselves!

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 10

I've even thought about making T-Shirts that simply say, "Ask Me About My Cakes!"

You could make them for your family members, too. "Ask Me About My Mom's Cakes!", Ask Me About My Wife's Cakes! etc.

Walking, talking billboards!!

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 10

I've had a magnetic sign on my van for the last year. I do catering as well as cake decorating. I just mentioned to my husband that I'm taking the signs down. I haven't had one call from these signs. Just an FYI!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 4:25pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennB

I've started really getting into making cakes for money now... I've done the family and friends thing also.. but i have a few questions. Has anyone tried a magnetic sign on thier car? and if so how has the feedback been from it? I think that the hardest part is the time of year when family and freinds don't need cakes. hahaha any ideas to help me self promote would be greatly appreciated. i was also thinking about renting a table at a few church craft and home business shows. has anyone done this ?? Please help! i want this to be a successful and profitable business. thanks for all of your feedback. JennB
Cakes by Jenn
Jacksonville, FL icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif .

You might want to check with your local laws. We are not allowed to have any kinds of signs on our cars or trucks for home bases businesses here..
I think a flyer or maybe put up an ad at the local grocery store or a web site might help..and word of mouth!

JennB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennB Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 7:51pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks for all your input.. my husband said the same thing about signs on the cars not being a good idea. the magnets are a great one too. thanks. oh and my husband would love to be my walking billboard.. hahaha thanks again and many blessings to you and yours.

Divinekreationz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Divinekreationz Posted 6 Jan 2006 , 4:38pm
post #8 of 10

Here in Dallas car signs are great, especially while sitting in traffic. I think this will depend on if u live in a larger city or not. If you have more than 50,000 people in your local area ...its a good idea. The walking bill board thing is good too. Just some thoughts.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 6 Jan 2006 , 5:00pm
post #9 of 10

JennB,
I can tell you the state of FL is super strict! No advertising at all! You can't run a food business from your home unless you have a detached kitchen which has been inspected and has a liscense. To get that it basically has to be built like a commercial kitchen following the state guidelines. It's a real bummer, in some states you can cook right out of your kitchen with nothing special at all. Not really fair!

pinkflamingo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkflamingo Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 1:17am
post #10 of 10

JennB be careful. I too live in Florida and have been trying to start a home-based bakery. However, because of our state laws that is impossible! The commercial grade kitchen you must use must not be accessible from your house in any way, not even via a locked door. I have been around and around with the state and there is just no other way to do it. If you are operating out of your home, please know that you are doing so illegally and may want to reconsider.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%