Do You Ever Feel Overwhelemed

Decorating By itsloops Updated 1 Mar 2007 , 4:18am by itsloops

itsloops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsloops Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 9:57pm
post #1 of 17

Right before a cake?

My daughters 4th birthday is coming in 3 weeks.

She wants a Snow White cake and I really want to make it special.

My heart is racing and I have butterflies in my stomach. (sigh....)

I'm not a professional and all my cakes are stricktly friends and family and ALL my inspiration comes from CC. I don't feel I'm super talented because if it wasn't for everyones ideas here, then there would be no cakes for me to make.

I just want to know if anyone has these types of feelings before a cake.

16 replies
maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 17

I feel exactly the same itsloops. But I just had a look at your pics and they're amazing!! You won't have anything to worry about. I'm sure it will look as amazing as every one of your other cakes!!

Mary

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 17

Always! I'm never sure how they will turn out and I'm always worried something will go wrong.

I think it's pretty normal to feel that way.

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 10:30pm
post #4 of 17

check out MrsMom's cake photos!! There is a really cute Snow White cake in there. I'm sure she would help you with it! She used the wondermold pan I think. Or maybe the Pampered chef bowl..anyway...it's really cute!!! GL!

Oh My Goodness!! itsloops!! I just looked at your photos and you sooo have nothing to worry about! Beautiful work!!!!!

itsloops Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 10:33pm
post #5 of 17

Thanks!

I will do that. I need all the help I can get.

That's another thing that makes me nervous. Asking people if I can use their cake idea. I don't want to upset anyone.

I guess I'm just a worry wart but you gals/guys are great therapy.

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 11:03pm
post #6 of 17

itsloops, Your cakes are beautiful!!! I know what you mean about the nerves before a cake. I am always afraid that something isn't going to turn out quite right.

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 11:09pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsloops

Thanks!

I will do that. I need all the help I can get.

That's another thing that makes me nervous. Asking people if I can use their cake idea. I don't want to upset anyone.

I guess I'm just a worry wart but you gals/guys are great therapy.

You technically don't need to ask. There is nothing wrong with copying a cake design! It'll usually turn out slightly different from the original anyway. It is courteous, though, to give credit for the idea when you post a picture of your cake.
You can ask if you want, though. Most people would be flattered!

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 11:19pm
post #8 of 17

I get the same way! Your normal!!!! icon_smile.gif I get nervous when I am trying to come up with a design or have one & have never done it before... like now!!! I'm freaking over a cake as I write! Don't worry too much you have plenty of talent to make a beautiful cake your DD will remember~ Happy Baking~

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 12:34am
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsloops

Right before a cake?

My daughters 4th birthday is coming in 3 weeks.

She wants a Snow White cake and I really want to make it special.

My heart is racing and I have butterflies in my stomach. (sigh....)

I'm not a professional and all my cakes are stricktly friends and family and ALL my inspiration comes from CC. I don't feel I'm super talented because if it wasn't for everyones ideas here, then there would be no cakes for me to make.

I just want to know if anyone has these types of feelings before a cake.

DEEP breath. it really is just a cake. flour, sugar, milk, and love. and the ONLY thing your daughter is going to see taste or remember is the love.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 3:07am
post #10 of 17

Ohhh jmt1714 that was sooo sweet!! thumbs_up.gif

Derby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derby Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 3:16am
post #11 of 17

I TOTALLY know how you feel! I am SOOOO overwhelmed now just thinking about the orders that I have in March. I've even been turning them down left and right and I'm still freaked out. I'm always super-worried that something will go wrong or that I'll be up all hours of the night working on a cake.

Usually things work out great, but it's just like a big weight on me.

BTW..your cakes are great!

SweetBellina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetBellina Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 3:17am
post #12 of 17

itsloops, freaking out is perfectly normal..i also did a snow white cake for my niece's first bday and oh boy!!! i was steadily gaining weight (i'm pregnant) and that week, i LOST 2 pounds!!! i could not eat, i was constantly imagining my design, things i got to do...one thing i did (thankfully) was to do stuff i could do in advance and not wait the last minute..gudluck with your cake!!!

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 3:23am
post #13 of 17

itsloops, I looked at your cakes. When all is said and done, you'll wonder why you even worried in the first place. Your work is awesome!

reneemw3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reneemw3 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 3:27am
post #14 of 17

I feel overwhelmed everytime I make a cake. I seem to hate to get started, but towards the end when I can see that it will turn out pretty decent, I LOVE IT. I think I am just so afraid I won't do a good job. I guess its just inexperience.

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 3:40pm
post #15 of 17

I put pressure on myself because I don't want to dissapoint anyone. Especially if I'm being paid for it. The customer has expectations and I want to deliver a great product for what they're paying for it. I am super hard on myself and try to achieve perfection with each cake, put like in life, nothing is perfect. It's hard for myself to find the confidence that apparently other people around find in me. I try to turn down cakes a lot b/c I don't think I can do it. Even though in the end they always seem to turn out just fine. I have a couple of huge cakes that might be coming my way and I'm trying to think of every reason not to do them, but I can't fine one! LOL I just need to take the leap and know in the end it is just cake and there's no harm in not getting it perfect! (I'll keep telling myself that and let you know when I believe it!LOL icon_lol.gif )

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 3:48pm
post #16 of 17

The thing is, your daughter would love her cake even if it looks like junk, simply because you made it. You are up to task, your pictures demonstrate that you are. Don't worry about being perfect and before you know it, the cake will be finished and beautiful and you will be queen of the day for making the most wonderful cake ever and you can actually enjoy her birthday.

Everyone gets overwhelmed. Like stretchmarks, it's a lasting side effect of childbirth.

itsloops Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 4:18am
post #17 of 17

Like I said before, everyone here is AWESOME. It's like having an extension to my immediate family.

Last night I had a dream that I ran out of cake mix the night before the party and again I was panicking. I went to my computer, posted my problem and had about 50 people at my front door in the morning with cake supplies. I know it was a dream but that is what it's really like when I have something to say or anyone else for that matter. I go online and get instant support. One giant happy baking family.

XoXo
Loops

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%