Can Cakes Shrink???

Decorating By Lazy_Susan Updated 1 Jan 2006 , 3:00pm by dodibug

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 1 Jan 2006 , 7:39am
post #1 of 10

I baked my cake in a 10 x 2 in. cake pan. When it was in the oven it appeared to have risen pretty much even with the pan (2 inches). Now that I have taken it out to cool it appears to be only half the size of the pan (1 inch). Can cakes shrink??? And if so what would make it do that? Or are my eyes deceiving me? lol

Actually I think I did the doctored cake mix wrong. I couldn't wait any longer last night for someone to answer my post about if you make the cake as instructed on the box and then add in the doctored cake mix ingredients or if the cake mix WAS an ingredient in the doctored cake mix. The recipe for the doctored cake mix that I used was as follows:

1 cake mix

1 cup flour (I used self-rising flour)

1 cup sugar

pinch salt (I for got to add the salt)

3 eggs (I ended up with 6 eggs because the cake mix called for 3 eggs)

1 cup melted butter/marg (I ended up using 1 1/2 cups butter because the cake mix called for 1/2 cup butter)

1 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup milk
1/3 cup water

I think I did something wrong. Can y'all help me?

Thanks

9 replies
thesocialfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thesocialfrog Posted 1 Jan 2006 , 7:44am
post #2 of 10

Hmm good question, maybe someone else could answer you better. I have had my cakes shrink, but not much at all, almost not even able to notice it. So I am not sure why it would shrink that much though. Sorry I can not be of more help to you.

RoseAnnicon_smile.gif

Lazy_Susan Posted 1 Jan 2006 , 8:07am
post #3 of 10

I'm going to try again with a scratch cake

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 1 Jan 2006 , 9:31am
post #4 of 10

I think you had way too much butter and eggs in that cake.....When I do the extender, I add :

1 cup flour (all purpose)
1 cup sugar
1 cup sour cream
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 pkg pudding (not always, but sometimes)

This is in additional to the ingredients on the cake
mix box....You can add the butter if you like, but
I personally would omit the oil called for on the box
if you are going to add the butter....

Hope this helps...
Cindy

Lazy_Susan Posted 1 Jan 2006 , 9:42am
post #5 of 10

Thank you Cindy,
I wasn't sure what I should have done. The person that gave me the recipe didn't state if the ingredients were instead of the cake mix ingredients. I know now icon_smile.gif

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 1 Jan 2006 , 9:48am
post #6 of 10

I have done a couple of different extenders from here, but I just don't think you need the extra fat. I personally think that may be why your cake fell. If you want the butter instead of the oil, I would just substitute it for the oil....I never add more than 1/2 cup oil to any cake...

I'm sorry you had bad results originally. I've certainly had some disasters of my own...I guess that is how we get better, by making mistakes...Gee, I should be a PHD if that's true!! hee hee

Lazy_Susan Posted 1 Jan 2006 , 10:25am
post #7 of 10

I made a scratch yellow cake from here and it turned out great. I was able to salvage the other cake as well (I tasted it and it actually did taste good). I'll just have an extra layer on my cake. Now to see how well the decorating part goes. This will be my first time using buttercream icing and decorating tips! Wish me luck icon_wink.gif

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 1 Jan 2006 , 2:49pm
post #8 of 10

When you follow an extender type recipe usually you just follow those instructions and ignore the back of the box instructions unless they tell you otherwise. So I think like the others have said you had too much of some of the ingrediants going on! But these things have happened to all of us! Also when making a cake 10 in or larger use a floured and greased flower nail in the center of your pan and that will act as a heater core to help the middle cook more evenly along with the rest of the cake.
I use this recipe for my box mixes but it's not an extender recipe but it is great!
1 box mix (I use Pillsbury)
3 egg whites
1 whole egg
1/2c. oil
1 1/4c milk/water mixture
1 small box pudding mix
1 tsp vanilla, almond or other extract of choice
Bake at 350 until cake springs back in the middle. For an 8in usually35 min or so

Lazy_Susan Posted 1 Jan 2006 , 2:53pm
post #9 of 10

Stupid question time... lol Do you put the nail in so that it points downward or so that the flat part is on the bottom?

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 1 Jan 2006 , 3:00pm
post #10 of 10

Not stupid-I had the same thought when I first heard about this trick! You put the flat part on the bottom of the pan. I hold the nail on the sides and grease and flour it and then drop it in the center of the pan. If it's a big cake you can use two!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%