Kids Say The Darndest Things...

Lounge By shelbur10 Updated 13 Mar 2010 , 11:19pm by FlourPots

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 6:35pm
post #1 of 116

Last night I was talking to DS, who is turning 5 in a couple weeks, about his birthday cake. I am making him a Mario Bros. cake and we were talking about the shape and size. He told me, Mama, don't make it flat, I want a two-in-one cake!
After quite a bit of discussion, I determined that 'two-in-one cake' is a layer cake. icon_lol.gif

How do your kids stump you?

115 replies
ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 6:49pm
post #2 of 116

Too cute, for now till forever these are going to be "Two in one" cakes to me. icon_lol.gif

Oh now, if we are going to tell cute children stories. I just happen to have one regarding my 14 year old grandson. icon_biggrin.gif

When he was about 4 years old my daughter and son inlaw had taken the family on vacation. They were having breakfast in a restaurant when a man sitting at a nearby table began choking, really seriously choking. My son inlaw jumped up and asked if he needed help, the man shook his head, no. My family kept an eye on him until he was able to catch his breath and they knew he was alright. When he was able to compose himself he came to my family's table and thanked them, then he asked my grandchildren if they knew the Heimlich. Little Dominic thought about it for a minute and said "Heimlich. No, but I know the Macarena!" icon_lol.gif

shelbur10 Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 116

That's so cute, Shirley!! Good thing they weren't depending on his Macarena techniques to stop the choking! LOL

cordy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cordy Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 116

Ok I got one! I was making a pink baby shower cake with polka dots and my sister and I were in deep discussion about size and color etc and my nephew (2 years old) started babbling to himself and laughing so we stopped and listen, he kept saying "polka ducks" and then went inot peals of laughter...so did we, an dnow I always call them polka ducks.

janicecold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janicecold Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 116

I have afew that my oldest daughter has said to me. When she was 4 she was mad at me and told me that she was going to sell me at the garage sale that we were going to have.

Another time when she was upset she told me that my suppers were sticky. I do have to say that I am not the greatest of cooks though. It took everything in me not to laugh at those ones. I guess she thought that it would hurt my feelings but it took everthing in me not to laugh at her!!!

A couple of weeks ago we were sitting at the dinner table my daughter asks my husband "Don't you want to marry another woman?" I replied to her by saying "he is stuck with me for the rest of his life" Her response was "Oh, that would be scary!!"

Life is not dull when you have kids!!!

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 8:52pm
post #6 of 116

I did a Wilton butterfly pan cake today that my friend requested for her birthday. My 3 1/2 year old loves to watch me decorate (though I make him sit on the other side of the table just in case of wandering hands!)
First, he critiqued me by pointing out how I missed some spots while icing the sides white, then he started yelling because I was 'doing it wrong' because I was making the butterfly purple instead of yellow, like the pan insert picture.
The cutest thing he said was I was 'planting' all the different colors into the butterfly when I was making the stars!

Lydia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lydia Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 8:56pm
post #7 of 116

I am here thinking of this one that my 3yo daughter told me and my oldest this winter:
Here it goes---we were at a clothing store and walking through the isles on our way to the dressing room---and we happened to past by the fury coats(faux), and she had to try one on, even thought they were adult sizes. SoI said yes and then she looks over to my daughter and I and says "Look mommy and Gaby now I feel like a real kitty. Touch me I promise I wont scratch you".

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 9:05pm
post #8 of 116

When my 13 year old was about 4 she saw a Lady in a fur coat and asked "Mommy did she killt hat bear herself to get his fur?"
I told her "No honey that is not bear fur it's fox."
No Mommy foxes aren't THAT big!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Now the woman was kinda heavy set but "oh my!"

Irish245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irish245 Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 9:14pm
post #9 of 116

My nieces are almost 14 now (each of my sisters had a daughter - born 8 days apart). When they were little, the one lived in Baltimore while the other lived here. One was at our house when the other arrived from Baltimore. J walked over to her cousin C, and kissed her. C said to me, "She just kissed me." I said, "Well, kiss her back." She walked right over to her, walked behind her and kissed her on her back. Kids are sooooo literal!!!!

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 9:16pm
post #10 of 116

These are too cute!

I'll share this one that still causes me discomfort when I see this woman.

My son, who was about 7 years old, came home from school asking me if he could go over to a school mates house who lived over on the next street. I explained to him that he could not go over there because his friends mother had a drinking problem (I had given her a ride the week before after her car had broken down & she was walking with her kids along the highway drunk as a skunk). Well, the next day this woman shows up at my front door asking me if I had told my son that he couldn't play with her son because "his mother was a drunk!" After turning red, I had to admit to this woman that I had not called her a drunk but yes, my son could not go to her house because she had a drinking problem. She went away after I reminded her about her drinking & driving episode the week before, but I'm not sure who was more embarrassed, me or her!

Out of the mouths of babes!

TheCakeGirl87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeGirl87 Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 9:16pm
post #11 of 116

O.k. now I am telling on myself but my family really gets a kick out of this and brings it up every time we get together. When I was about 13 or so everyone was at our house for Christmas and my cousin brought cupcakes and candles. After eating her daughter (3) asked if we could have some, so she proceeded to put the candles in the cupcakes, light them and pass them out. She then told us that we were going to sing Happy Birthday. So I asked "Whose Birthday is it?" not remembering this practice in earlier years. Now, you must understand Sheridon (my cousin) and her family, my grandparents, and myself are the only ones that go to church. O.k. so Jeff (Sheridon's brother) said "It's baby Jesus birthday, you don't know that your the religious one of the family! Even I know whose birthday it is." So now I am always asked whose birthday it is on Christmas and this has been going on for 6 years now!

Tweetycup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweetycup Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 9:21pm
post #12 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by janicecold

A couple of weeks ago we were sitting at the dinner table my daughter asks my husband "Don't you want to marry another woman?" I replied to her by saying "he is stuck with me for the rest of his life" Her response was "Oh, that would be scary!!"

LOL! I always tell my daughter -'you wanna hear something even scarier, You're stuck with me too!!-'

Then she really freaks out.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 9:27pm
post #13 of 116

My daughter, who is now 13, used to make me laugh every time she referred to specific days when she was younger(started when she was 3). I don't know how she came up with them, but it actually makes sense when you think about it. She referred to today as "this-terday", yesterday was "last-erday" and tomorrow was "next-erday". I tried to correct her for a few years, but she thought she was right. We still tease her.

I have another funny one about my youngest son (now 9). When he was 3, he was still learning good bathroom habits. He was in the bathroom, and I was in the kitchen washing dishes. I heard him screaming "MOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMY!" from the hallway. It sounded like something was wrong, and I went running - only to find him standing in the hall -completely calm - with his pants around his ankles. I looked at him and asked him what was wrong. He turned around and said "Look mommy, I'm a bunny".

He had a wad of tissue stuck between his cheeks.

shelbur10 Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 9:32pm
post #14 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandiBakes

My daughter, who is now 13, used to make me laugh every time she referred to specific days when she was younger(started when she was 3). I don't know how she came up with them, but it actually makes sense when you think about it. She referred to today as "this-terday", yesterday was "last-erday" and tomorrow was "next-erday". I tried to correct her for a few years, but she thought she was right. We still tease her.

LOL! My son refers to "last night" as "yesternight" icon_lol.gif

cookingfor5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookingfor5 Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 10:40pm
post #15 of 116

We have just reached the stage where our kids report everything that goes on in our house to everyone else. Our friend asked my son about his birthday. He told her how old he was and what he had gotten for his birthday. After a brief pause, he proceeded to tell her that his brothers birthday was cancelled this year because he ruined his birthday. This is very true, and everyone got a kick out of it. Don't worry I am not really cancelling his birthday.

Meigan

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 10:53pm
post #16 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandiBakes

He turned around and said "Look mommy, I'm a bunny".

He had a wad of tissue stuck between his cheeks.

Oh that is too funny! I'm crying because I'm laughing so hard! I have 2 boys and they have shown me their "tails" many times. They think it is so funny!

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 12:41am
post #17 of 116

I was in the process of making my first and only 'breast' cake. They were made with a 9x13 with Wilton Sports ball halves for each side. I had iced it with vanilla IMBC and was taking them out of the fridge (they were still G-rated at this point!) to put the fondant on when the girls started yelling, "Stop! We want to see the igloos!!!"

I showed them the 'igloo's' however they never did see the final product!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 12:45am
post #18 of 116

I had to laugh at my soon to be 4 yr old today...She colored a picture and glued some paper and beads on and says "Look Mom...I made a picture of a robot and I made a Bum and a PeePee" I just about busted a gut!!!

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 1:01am
post #19 of 116

Okay, I'm going to share my favorite from my son, although he's 14 now and would kill me if he knew I did this!

Once, when he was about 4 we were having dinner at a Red Lobster (this was long before we became kosher). Anyway, I was taking him to the restroom and we passed the lobster tank. He was a very curious child, so he starting asking questions. So here we are in a bathroom stall, with a woman in the next stall, and my dear son aks me if "mobsters" live at the bottom of the ocean. I said, "no, Mobsters sometimes die at the bottom of the ocean, but Lobsters like the ones in the tank live at the bottom of the ocean." The women in the next stall tried really hard not to laugh, but didn't succeed!

This is fun. By the way I love the "polka ducks". I don't think I'll forget that one!

Kathi

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:43am
post #20 of 116

The most favorite thing my son said when he was little was "straw-babies" for strawberries. My dad still calls them strawbabies 5 years later.

Oh, and I just love Melmo (elmo)...I think a lot of kids say that and it always makes me nostalgic.

I about choked at a vday party earlier this month when my 7 year old says at the cookie decorating party, AS he is eating a cookie, and in his ever so soft boy voice "Gee mom YOU should have made the cookiefor the party...YOURS are really good!" Omigod! Surely the floor will swallow me now. Who raised this kid?

Have a great day,

Julia

BritBB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BritBB Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 5:55pm
post #21 of 116

My 6 year old nephew came home from school one day and told his Mom they were learning about God and the children wanted to know if he was a man, to which the teacher replied, "no, he's more like a being". My nephew came home and asked his Mom if God was a 'baked being"!

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 6:03pm
post #22 of 116

Okay, I can add one too.

My 2 year old son has watched my belly grow with this current pregnancy. I have tried to explain that Mommy's going to have a baby.

He always lifts up his shirt and says "I have baby too!" One day I pointed to his navel and asked him, "what's that?" and he replies "that's my baby button."

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 6:11pm
post #23 of 116

Aww heck, think i'll throw in my two cents here too.
K, when my oldest daughter, who is 22 now, was like o 3-4, she was out in the back yard pulling some weeds out of the ground. Next thing you know there was an earthquake, it wasn't a big one in our area but it still shook quite a bit (yes, we did live in southern cali for a while). Next thing you know, my daughter comes runnin in the house all upset, she was saying, "I'm sorry mom, I'm sorry, I tried to put it back I really did."
She thought that she had made the earthquake when she pulled the weeds out of the ground.

jessireb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessireb Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 6:19pm
post #24 of 116

Well, I am almost embarrassed to tell this one because I don't want to offend anyone and this is not my intention so please don't start a thread and call me mean and hateful, but here goes.

This happend in the grocery store, when my daughter was really young 3-4.

MY youngest and I were shopping and there was a lady in the isle and a young shelf stocker came by with one of those carts really fast. Well my sweet innocent daughter says something and I really didn't pay attention (you know you hear it after the fact) and the lady who was in the isle said to her "Honey that not nice we are all different sizes" Well when she said that it all came to me and I not really knowing what my DD said I says to the lady, I'm sorry mam, but she was talking about the young man with the cart and she said he's really fast! Well I thought everything was good and then my DD says "no Mommy I said she is really Fat!" Well I could have just melted into the floor at that point.

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 6:26pm
post #25 of 116

When my four year old dd Olivia was new at talking, I guess about 16 months, we were in the grocery store. A lady stopped to talk to her and kept trying to get her to say something back. The lady, being funny said...well okay, if you're not going to talk I guess I'll just go on now...to which Olivia replied..."Bye!". I knew right then we were going to have a sassy one on our hands!

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 6:26pm
post #26 of 116

Alright, I'll tell mine. It's not really one about what she said, but what she did. When DD was about 1-1/2, she was mortified about her dirty diapers (who wouldn't be). She would cover her eye's until she was done being changed. It took her until she was just over 3 to potty train because of this. Anyway, one night I was giving her and DS a bath (at that age, you can still bathe them together), took her out first, dried her off and let her run naked until I took out DS. A few minutes later DH and I hear her crying up a storm in DS's room. DH opens the door and right there was a little pile. She "pooped" herself into his room. She was in the corner of the other side of the room sobbing. We couldn't help but laugh at that icon_lol.gif

meihana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meihana Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 6:28pm
post #27 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2cake

Okay, I can add one too.

My 2 year old son has watched my belly grow with this current pregnancy. I have tried to explain that Mommy's going to have a baby.

He always lifts up his shirt and says "I have baby too!" One day I pointed to his navel and asked him, "what's that?" and he replies "that's my baby button."

I laughed and cried. That is the cutest darn thing I think I've ever heard. I have an 8-month-old son and just can't wait for all the things he's going to come up with!!

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 6:29pm
post #28 of 116

I still tease my oldest son of this one: we took his younger brother to pre-k school on the way home he stated that those blue clouds were very pretty. I had to look up and see what he saw. It was the first time in a very long time that there were no clouds and it was the sky he saw. I told him that was the sky with no clouds. He still thought that was blue clouds for such a long time (he was 8 years old then).

BeckySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeckySue Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 6:32pm
post #29 of 116

When I was pregnant with my daughter my son was about 4. He naturally was curious about where babies come from and asked how babies get in a mommy's tummy. I told him that daddys put them there and that seemed to end the questions. Later that day we were in the middle of Target and he said (in a rather loud voice) "Mom - how do daddys PUT the baby in mommy's tummy?" The lady nearby did all she could to not laugh as she passed us - then she said to me "Good luck explaining that one..." We both started laughing at that point.

My daughter is now 2 1/2 and the other day she and her brothers were eating goldfish crackers. She still has trouble pronouncing some letters - so when she says fishes it comes out bishes (it truly sounds like she is cursing...) They were eating quietly when all of a sudden Ella yelled, "Hey boys! Give me some crazy bishes!!"
ROFLOL

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 6:36pm
post #30 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiDoc

When my four year old dd Olivia was new at talking, I guess about 16 months, we were in the grocery store. A lady stopped to talk to her and kept trying to get her to say something back. The lady, being funny said...well okay, if you're not going to talk I guess I'll just go on now...to which Olivia replied..."Bye!". I knew right then we were going to have a sassy one on our hands!

ROTFL! I had a "sassy" daughter, all grown up now, and guess what? SHE has one now too! Of course, I think this is the ultimate payback!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%