Different Prices For Wilton Course??

Decorating By JennT Updated 16 Jan 2006 , 1:18am by Godiva

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 31 Dec 2005 , 5:26pm
post #1 of 26

Ok...so I want to sign up for the Wilton Course I....I go to the Michael's web site and it says the course is $12.50 (with a free gift) at my store's location. But when I call my store to double check they are offering Course I for January & get the info on when it starts, etc. they tell me it costs $25.00!?! I tell them on the web site that it states the $12.50 price & they tell me that it's wrong. So I go back to the web site and check at 3 other store locations in different parts of the country...it's all the same...$12.50 plus free gift.

My question is this: what's the correct price?? I know there are some Wilton instructors that do courses for Michaels here....so maybe one of you would know?? I can pay the $25.00, if that's the right price, but if I can get half off why not, right??!! lol I'm wondering if there's a special for the month of January or something and the store just isn't aware that they're supposed to be charging the $12.50.

Also - since I have tons of Wilton & Ateco tips, etc. I don't want to buy things on the supply list that I already have. Any suggestions on supplies that would come in handy for Course I that I may need that aren't necessarily on the list they give you?

TIA - Jenn icon_smile.gif

25 replies
She Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
She Posted 31 Dec 2005 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 26

I don't know about Micheal's but Hobby Lobby is running the promo that you stated. The half price course (reg is $25) and the free cookie pan.

My guess...is that the person you spoke with just didn't know. Ask to contact the instructor and she/he can straighten it up.
HTH thumbs_up.gif

peachstate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peachstate Posted 31 Dec 2005 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 26

Ask to speak with the manager. The normal course price is $25.00, but every so often they offer deals at the stores. The only problem is that the employees generally arent aware of the changes. Print the page from online and then also go into the Michaels store. They might have posted class schedules there with the price. I dont think that I ever paid the full $25 for the courses. I had one where it was buy the kit and the course is free, 2 that were half off the course. It changes each month, but I would print the online offer and talk to a manager at the store. You might also be able to use a 40% off coupon as well. I was able to use one on the one where I had to buy the kit and the course was free, so I ended up getting the corse and the kit for around 14.00 total. Good luck! Happy New Year!

cakelady52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady52 Posted 31 Dec 2005 , 5:37pm
post #4 of 26

You should tell them to call Wilton. Because they is a 1/2 off promo plus a free gift for the month of Jan.2006

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 31 Dec 2005 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 26

My daughter and I just took the classes recently.
We were able to use the 40% coupons on the class kits but not on the classes themselves.
However we did get in on the 1/2 price classes once and then the instructor hands out a "bounce back" coupon in class. It gave you 5 bucks off the next class if you signed up before the class you were currently attending ended.

So, on the last class when the price was 12.50 again we used our bounce back coupon and only had to pay 7.50 for the class....wahooooo!

Every time we had to sign up the register people were clueless...where is the book, where is the Monday night class, etc....I had to walk them through it.
It is the yellow binder, not the blue, and the Monday teacher's name is Amy, blah, blah, blah.....

As someone already said, the register people are not in loop and you have to be patient with them.

as for what you need in class...don't buy the silly derby clowns unless you really think you'll use them icon_confused.gif

And I just bought a small tube of black Wilton frosting gel to make eyes and mouths on the day they taught us to do faces and teddy bears. Making black can be a pain and you only need about 1/8 of a teaspoon for the class.

Also the tip that they give you to do leaves (67) with will never give you a pointy end....it just breaks off all ugly. It made me mad at the time...thought I just wasn't getting it.
The tip that works really nice for leaves is the 352.

Hope that help a little bit, good luck with the class!

mommachris

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 31 Dec 2005 , 6:42pm
post #6 of 26

can you give me a link to where youy saw the half off offer? I am sigining up forthecalss in January, but haven't been able to find any discount offers. Also where did you guys find the 40% off discount for the kit?

They want to charge me $25 right now, I would love to get it for $12.50. And 40% off the kit would be great!

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 31 Dec 2005 , 7:33pm
post #7 of 26

At A.C. Moore the January and February 2006 classes are $25.00 plus cost of supplies. That's for Wilton Courses.

peachstate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peachstate Posted 31 Dec 2005 , 7:34pm
post #8 of 26

The 40% off coupons can be found in the Weekly papers (the one with coupons) for Michaels. THey didnt have one last weekend, but I am hoping for this weekend. I have afew gift cards that I wna to use, but not pay full price. For Hobby Lobby occasionally they have coupons online.

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 31 Dec 2005 , 7:55pm
post #9 of 26

JennT,

I had trouble with the sales associates when I took the Courses.

Since you already decorate, you have everything. You will only need tip #352 and the Derby Clowns.

mpitrelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpitrelli Posted 31 Dec 2005 , 8:28pm
post #10 of 26

When I was going for the class I also had problems with it. The first month it had a deal of sign up for the class and get you kit for a penny well I went to sign up and they told me the wrong start date so I missed it. When I complained they did give me the deal the next month because the cashiers made the mistake. Every month they had some deal running. I would speak to the manager about what you were told and print out the page from the web to show them. They should honor it.

sweeterbug1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeterbug1977 Posted 31 Dec 2005 , 9:07pm
post #11 of 26

The Wilton class promotion for the month of January at Michaels is 1/2 off tuition ($12.50) plus a free gift (you will receive the free gift before the end of the last night of class). You are not allowed to use the store coupon for the class itself, and cannot combine it with the 10% discount off supplies you get when enrolled in a class.

sweeterbug1977 Posted 31 Dec 2005 , 9:09pm
post #12 of 26

The Wilton class promotion for the month of January at Michaels is 1/2 off tuition ($12.50) plus a free gift (you will receive the free gift before the end of the last night of class). You are not allowed to use the store coupon for the class itself, and cannot combine it with the 10% discount off supplies you get when enrolled in a class.

JennT Posted 1 Jan 2006 , 3:32am
post #13 of 26

Wow! Thanks so much, everybody, for the feedback!!! thumbs_up.gif I really appreciate it. I called the store back and spoke with the same girl...informed her of what I read on the web site and she said "Oh! Then I guess it is half price. We're just not aware of it. Just remind the cashier when you come in to sign up." lol I smell trouble...lol icon_confused.gif So I've taken ya'll's advice and printed out the page with all the info about the class. She even had the start date one day later than what's posted on their web site....???? I'm going to go ahead & register for it, though, because our Hobby Lobby hasn't found an instructor and isn't able to offer the class icon_sad.gif

It's just baffling to me how so many stores in one chain (Michaels) can not have a clue what's going on with their classes?? I asked specifically to speak with the person who handles their classes & scheduling, etc. and the girl didn't seem to know any correct information. I mean, I know the classes are taught by a Wilton Method Instructor, not technically a Michaels employee, but the classes are held in their stores...you'd think they'd be a little more informed icon_confused.gif I asked if the instructor would contact me before the class...she had no idea.

When I go into the store tomorrow I'm going to ask for the instructor's contact info...is that ok to do?? I don't want to be a problem to the store or the instructor, but I do want to know someone other than store employees to contact, should the store cancel the class or drop the ball in some way. I've just heard sooooo many horror stories about Michaels and the Wilton classes that I'm a little "gun-shy", I guess. But since they're the only place near me offering ANY kind of cake deco class, I'm kind of stuck. icon_redface.gif

Euphoriabakery: go to www.michaels.com - Then click on "Store Locator"..up near the top of the page. You'll fill in your town, state, and zip code. It will give you a list of stores in your area or closest to you. Along side each store's address you'll see columns with This Stores Events, This Stores Weekly Ad, View Map. Click on "This Stores Events"...then it gives you a listing of all the classes and events scheduled at your location, along with pricing at the bottom of each listing. From what I can tell, the Wilton classes cost the same nationwide. HTH!! icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 1 Jan 2006 , 3:38am
post #14 of 26

There should not be a problem for them to give you her contact information. The instructor I had called me before the first class and let me know what I needed.

BTW - I am going to be teaching the classes here in my area at Michaels.....just filling out all the paperwork, already got my instructor kit in the mail. icon_wink.gif

She Posted 1 Jan 2006 , 3:47am
post #15 of 26

You should be able to contact the instructor. You have to give the employees at the stores a break. There are so many of them doing it and then some do and don't do things right, etc....but...they try. icon_smile.gif

Then sometimes...the instructor just messes up...oops. icon_rolleyes.gif Just keep trying until you find someone willing to investigate.

The Hobby Lobby promo for Feb is 1/2 price classes, too.

sweeterbug1977 Posted 1 Jan 2006 , 6:00am
post #16 of 26

I believe that it is a good idea to contact the instructor. The instructors phone number should be on the supply list that you will receive when you sign up for the class (you may need to remind the sales associate who is checking you out that you are suppose to receive a supply list). I always give my students my phone number the first night of class, as well as give them my email address so that they can email me if needed. I also get their email addresses so that I can email them reminders at the middle of the week on what they need to bring to the next class.

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 8:44pm
post #17 of 26

I'm so annoyed!!! I was just in Michaels on SUNDAY asking about any discounts because I wanted to re-take the course II class and they told me there were no discounts (looking at me like I'm an idiot too).

AARGH!

JennT Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 10:17pm
post #18 of 26

Here's an update:

I went in on a Sunday afternoon....the girls at the check-out couldn't even find the class book to start with. When they did find it, they couldn't find the Wilton class section. I noticed that the book looked to be divided by date, so I suggested she look under the #9 tab...voila! There it was...the class starts on the 9th. I told her about the half-price w/free gift promo that Wilton was running for the month...she had no idea about it said.."I have to charge you $25 because that's what it says here" I asked if everyone else that signed up for the course paid $25...she looked and only one person had paid full price, the rest paid the $12.50. She was still going to charge me the full price, claiming the others were charged incorrectly. I then showed her what I printed out from Michael's website. She charged me half price but was concerned that she was going to get in trouble??!! Wha???? I had to ask twice for a supply sheet....first she said they didn't give one out, that the instructor would call before the class. again...wha???? So I asked if she would please look in the book again and make sure there weren't any supply sheets or any other info she was supposed to give me....there they were...right behind the sign-up sheet!! I know things change with their classes and such, but Michael's doesn't even seem to have any basic instructions in place for their employees to sign people up for classes. And I would suggest that instead of having the cashier's sign people up that they leave that up to the person who handles their classes...the Education Director, or whatever they title them. Then things probably wouldn't be so confusing. I can only hope that the Wilton instructor will be more informed and good at what she does. I'm calling her tomorrow night....wish me luck!! lol icon_rolleyes.gif

Lovabledes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovabledes Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 10:29pm
post #19 of 26

They should have the price in thier book......I signed up for course 3 it was 12.50, but I did not know there was a free gift included.......When I go to class next Wednesday I want to find out if I get it or not.....

The class is Regular 25.00 but Micheal's has been running them on sale the last few months..........

As far as supplies, I got told to get the course 1 kit or the tool caddy, (the teal one) has the items in it for course 1......

Betty

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 Jan 2006 , 4:47am
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennT

I know things change with their classes and such, but Michael's doesn't even seem to have any basic instructions in place for their employees to sign people up for classes. And I would suggest that instead of having the cashier's sign people up that they leave that up to the person who handles their classes...the Education Director, or whatever they title them. Then things probably wouldn't be so confusing.

The EC (Events Cordinator) is only in store 20 hours a week, so I don't know that that would help get people signed up.

One suggestion... Do tell the Instructor about your troubles in signing up. As an WMI it helps when someone tells me about the problems they have trying to sign up for a class so I can address it with the store. She may be unaware of the employees confusion.

Good luck with your class, and I hope you have fun despite your sign up problems.

Loucinda Posted 6 Jan 2006 , 5:54am
post #21 of 26

the Michaels I am going to be at now has the classes UPC'd in the book - so for that month, the cashier just has to scan the UPC and it will automatically now bring up the correct price. The cashier would have no way of knowing about the "free gift" - not even the WMI knows what the gift will be until Wilton sends them....and that is AFTER you have taken all the classes for that course.

One thing I would suggest is that you go up to the courtesy desk and ask for the manager of the store to sign up for one of the classes.....maybe that will help?? Most of the cashiers are just very young and more than likely let that info go right over their heads when they are told about it.

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 6 Jan 2006 , 12:05pm
post #22 of 26

...at my local Michael's the employee turn-over is high. I've never had the same cashier on any return visits. Which probably means, they're trained in a rush, learn enough to run the check-out, get frustrated (with customers like us), and quit! It's the same with A.C. Moore.

A week or so ago, when I was in A.C. Moore, they had some after Christmas specials going on. Nothing on the Wilton's Seasonal Display was marked down. I asked the cashier if or when it would be marked down -- She said, "Wilton NEVER discounts their seasonal merchandise!" (looking at me like I was an idiot)

Also, I've checked the on-line calendar of events for the local Michael's and A.C. Moore and there's never any Wilton Classes on the schedule.

mpitrelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpitrelli Posted 6 Jan 2006 , 2:56pm
post #23 of 26

for the person wanting to retake course II my instructor told us that we are welcome to take any course again for free. she told us thats because we had already paid and taken the courses before we are welcome back at anytime to take a refresher course if we wanted to. I would check with the instructor about that if I were you.

Loucinda Posted 6 Jan 2006 , 4:43pm
post #24 of 26

Here is a link to the Michaels ad in our paper this week.....it has the Wilton Class listed on it....

Wilton Class 50% off

She Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 1:12am
post #25 of 26

Did you get everything sorted out?

The free cookie pan is only for Course 1 and the rate is 1/2 off. At least for Hobby Lobby stores...not sure about Micheals or others but...seems like it is the same.

Good Luck!

Godiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godiva Posted 16 Jan 2006 , 1:18am
post #26 of 26

Have a co-worker who took the 3 courses at AC Moore in NJ...When she first called to sign up, they told her $25, but when she went in person to pay, they told her it was $12.50! I deal she could not resist...

You guys would fall on your tushies when you read this! I paid $300 for that crappy "Wilton Course" back in Nov 03' icon_mad.gif I mean, he is an AMAZING cake artist...he was a decorator at Cupcake Cafe for many moons before he opened up shop...Guess the rent was too high...maybe thats why he was sooo grumpy then...Hope he's doing better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%