Can One Be Excited And Terrified At The Same Time?

Decorating By marknrox Updated 17 May 2006 , 9:39pm by Jenn123

marknrox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknrox Posted 31 Dec 2005 , 2:21am
post #1 of 32

Ok, I've just gotta share this!!! My Wilton instructor called me tonight to tell me that she has a wedding cake to do for April 1st and has agreed to do it, but just found out she has to fly out of town and asked me if I would be interested in doing it for her!!! icon_surprised.gif

She said the wedding cake is very simple. White cake, bavarian cream filling and white buttercream--3 square tiers for 150 people with a sage green ribbon around the bottom of each tier. No decorations. No problem. icon_smile.gif I think I can handle that.

I was very gung ho excited until I found out that the groom's cake is a 3D Delorean car!!! Now I'm terrified!!! icon_cry.gif How in the $%^& am I gonna do that? She said she was going to carve it from 3 9x13 layers. I've been searching all over Google to see if anyone has done a Delorean car cake and cannot find one. She suggested coloring it gray with darker gray for the windows. I don't have an airbrush for this so I'd have to color the icing. The real kicker is that the wing doors have to be OPEN!!! icon_eek.gif She suggested making them from gumpaste and inserting them into the cake.

Does ANYONE have any idea on how to go about doing this? I haven't agreed yet. I asked if I could have a night to research, think and sleep on it. She seems very confident in my abilities, but I'm not so sure I am.

Please, someone help me. I'm desperate!! LOL icon_redface.gif

31 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 31 Dec 2005 , 2:28am
post #2 of 32

WOW - that is very cool. Not sure how you could do that car, but there is a guy here in our town that has one of those cars - he is an insurance agent, I can get you an email address so you can get a picture of it if you want me to.

marknrox Posted 31 Dec 2005 , 2:32am
post #3 of 32

I appreciate the offer, but I found tons of pictures of the car on Google -- luckily, they are from every angle. My problem is that I don't know how to go about doing the doors up and not have an interior showing. Also, not knowing how to carve very well. icon_redface.gif

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 31 Dec 2005 , 2:36am
post #4 of 32

I think i would approach it like doing any other car. There are quite a few ppl on this site that have done wonderful cars before and would be able to give you great tips. Just do a search on cars and ask them how etc.
I think once you have the car done, the doors should be fairly simple, if you do them in gumpaste, with skewers, toothpicks or wires through them, you can then just stick them into the decorated car.
Good luck
It's a fantastic challenge
Nati
LL

marknrox Posted 31 Dec 2005 , 2:38am
post #5 of 32
Quote:
Quote:

It's a fantastic challenge

Boy, you got that right! LOL

I appreciate the tips. I'll do a more generalized search and see what I can come up with.

Thanks again!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 31 Dec 2005 , 2:39am
post #6 of 32

I think I would cut one out of a block of styrofoam first that would be the size of the 3 9X13's.

marknrox Posted 31 Dec 2005 , 2:45am
post #7 of 32

Boy, great minds think alike!!! I asked my husband earlier about that!!!

BalloonWhisk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BalloonWhisk Posted 31 Dec 2005 , 2:47am
post #8 of 32
Quote:
Quote:

My Wilton instructor called me tonight to tell me that she has a wedding cake to do for April 1st and has agreed to do it, but just found out she has to fly out of town and asked me if I would be interested in doing it for her!!!

So it's still her client and her contact, but you do the work? And you don't have client contact?

This is a recipe for a disaster, and the complicated carved cake which you don't know how to do (absolutely nothing wrong with that in itself) that she's promised is going to cost you time and money.

I would turn her down.

(And if you do accept, you might want to make sure you see the original contract to see how much of the total fee comes to you.)

marknrox Posted 31 Dec 2005 , 2:48am
post #9 of 32

The total fee comes to me! And the bride will be provided to me to discuss everything.

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 31 Dec 2005 , 2:49am
post #10 of 32

Have you considered making one as a "trial and error". You know, learn from the practice what will work or changes to make on the "real" one?

Good luck!

marknrox Posted 31 Dec 2005 , 2:52am
post #11 of 32

That's really a good idea. I think I may try that. Thanks.

BalloonWhisk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BalloonWhisk Posted 31 Dec 2005 , 3:06am
post #12 of 32
Quote:
Quote:

The total fee comes to me! And the bride will be provided to me to discuss everything.

In that case, have fun!

cakewiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakewiz Posted 31 Dec 2005 , 6:34am
post #13 of 32

Hey wow How exciting that she has faith in you to do this job for her. I can understand your mixed emotions, but go for it. If she considered you for the job, then you CAN do it!!!
As for the doors being open, I'd mould them out of gum paste & put them into the cake, as for showing the interior... I wouldn't, it's a cake, I'm sure they wouldn't expect all the detail, just colour that section black to show that it is dark inside the car or maybe do the seat outline in black & the rest a neutral colour.
Good Luck with it..

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 31 Dec 2005 , 6:49am
post #14 of 32

Congratulations!! What a great opportunity for you...of course you should be both excited & terrified!!! lol I know I would be.. icon_rolleyes.gif

Ditto - what everyone else suggested about the doors being made of gumpaste. But if you're really nervous about the carving/sculpting part, maybe you and your instructor could team up on it the day before she leaves town....You could bake the cakes and together you could work on the carving (sort of like a private lesson!?) and then you could wrap it well and freeze it until you need to ice & decorate?? If it only had to be frozen for a day or two, that might be something you could consider and talk to her about? I've never carved/sculpted a cake before either...and I just know it'd be a mess if I tried!! lol And if I had to do one for a groom's cake I know my nerves would be thru the roof...aaaggghhh!! lol Sounds like you can handle the wedding cake easily, so maybe talk to your instructor & see what ya'll can figure out for the groom's cake. You've got plenty of time, though...and like they say - practice makes perfect! Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

melissaanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissaanne Posted 31 Dec 2005 , 9:45am
post #15 of 32

Congratulations! I think that this is a great opportunity to go outside your comfort zone and I think that by accepting this challenging car you will learn so much and not regret it. Go for it!!

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 31 Dec 2005 , 11:54am
post #16 of 32

Congratulations on your order.

I'm with JennT, get her to help with the car. You can freeze cakes up to six months in advance.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 2 Jan 2006 , 3:41am
post #17 of 32

Congratulations on the order! I had to do a corvette groom's cake and used a 3D race car pan. I drew all the windows and doors on the cake. I am thinking that might be a good pan for you to use. I think the gumpaste doors are a good idea. You might be able to do the inside of the car just black. icon_smile.gif

marknrox Posted 2 Jan 2006 , 3:48am
post #18 of 32

Thank you! I haven't been able to find the pan, though. Any ideas where to find one?

gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 2 Jan 2006 , 3:52am
post #19 of 32

I love challenges like this. I seem to do better on cakes with a challenge, I guess because I put more thought and time into them. Good luck, YOu have plenty of time to prepare. I would absolutely do a trial run though with that difficult of a challenge.

You might even think about doing the whole top out of gumpaste and possibly carving the inside a little. I would try using the carved pieces of the cake for the interior of the car and make the roof, windshields and doors from gumpaste.

Can't wait to see the pictures. Post if you do a trial run too.

marknrox Posted 2 Jan 2006 , 3:54am
post #20 of 32

I will post them ONLY if it looks decent!! LOL. icon_redface.gif

traci Posted 2 Jan 2006 , 3:25pm
post #21 of 32

I ordered the pan online...you can do a google search of "race cae cake kits." I only ordered the pan which back then I got for 9.99. You could also do a search of 3-D race car pans and see what you find. You will have time to practice with the gumpaste doors. icon_smile.gif

traci Posted 2 Jan 2006 , 3:31pm
post #22 of 32

Try this link.
http://www.flag2flag.net/cakes.htm

You will just need the pan without the decals...I think it would be well worth it! icon_smile.gif

If that fails...you might ask the customer if she would consider a groom's cake with a really cool edible image of the car. You could enhance the decoration with some chocolate dipped strawberries. Just an idea...I get so nervous with 3-D cakes! icon_biggrin.gif

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 2 Jan 2006 , 10:09pm
post #23 of 32

Having done many shaped cars myself, I say it isn't much different than any other shaped cake. I would definitely not make the doors edible. They are so thin that I think this a recipe for disaster. How about a thin sheet of metal bent in the correct shape and covered in gumpaste? It could be narrow at the end and be inserted all the way down through the cake. It would be well supported and not break in half with every nudge. Here's one of my best creations:
LL

marknrox Posted 3 Jan 2006 , 9:36pm
post #24 of 32

Thanks so much for the positive feedback I have received. I have found the 3D pan without the mix and decals for around 12.99 - 14.99 (can't remember). Traci, you say you have this pan - do you know the dimensions and how many servings it produces?

TIA!!

traci Posted 4 Jan 2006 , 6:25pm
post #25 of 32

The race car pan will give you around 15 servings. Your best bet will be to stack it on top of a 12x18 sheet cake.

Jenn123...your car cake is amazing! thumbs_up.gif

Jenn123 Posted 4 Jan 2006 , 6:30pm
post #26 of 32

Thanks traci! Shaped cakes are so much fun!

traci Posted 4 Jan 2006 , 6:35pm
post #27 of 32

I wish I had your confidence in doing sculpted cakes! I recently did an armadillo groom's cake and felt like he looked too unproportioned in his face! I guess I need to practice more! icon_biggrin.gif

Jenn123 Posted 4 Jan 2006 , 6:44pm
post #28 of 32

I think its cute!! We have to be bold and try new things!

Caribou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caribou Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 7:33am
post #29 of 32

Could you use graham cracker covered in fondant or some icing for the doors? It's not very forgiving to cut but an idea. I guess it can be scored and then cut.

talking_head Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
talking_head Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 7:04pm
post #30 of 32

This is an awsome opportunity and if you instructor has confidence in you you should go right ahead! Congrats and good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%