Need Ideas For Teenage Boys Birthday Cakes

Decorating By Fishercakes Updated 8 Jan 2006 , 7:18am by auntiecake

Fishercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fishercakes Posted 30 Dec 2005 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 15

I have sons whose birthdays are coming up very soon and they are three days apart. One son is turning 16 and the other 15. I am drawing a blank with ideas for the cakes. icon_cry.gif

Any and all suggestions are welcome!!

TIA!

14 replies
briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 30 Dec 2005 , 4:02pm
post #2 of 15

HI!! I am so in love with Boween's cake.. Do you have an edible image printer? you can place the pics (of the boys growing up) on fondant pieces just as she has. Then have one right in the center of a pic of both of them.. here is a pic from Boween's section..Just to give you an idea..
LL

Fishercakes Posted 30 Dec 2005 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 15

Unfortunately, I don't have an edible image printer or access to one. I love Boween's cake also.

Thanks for the thought!

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 30 Dec 2005 , 4:15pm
post #4 of 15

If you wanted to get an edible image you could go to baskin robins or somewhere like that for a picture. They make them for me all the time. On the other hand, What do they like? Interest, hobbies? I made a giant Pizza for my son and a giant hamburger once. I made a Computer cake(lot's of time) What about a deer or Dog. Sculpting is easier than most people think. What about a picture of a dream car? hope you get more ideas!!

Wandootie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wandootie Posted 30 Dec 2005 , 4:27pm
post #5 of 15

Not sure what your son is into, but my son likes Pink Floyd, so I did a buttercream transfer of the "Dark Side Of The Moon" CD and placed it onto a cake. He loved it and so did his friends.

Maybe something from any music or sprots that he likes.

Good luck!

Wandootie

Cakey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakey Posted 30 Dec 2005 , 4:45pm
post #6 of 15

What about a skateboard cake or a surfboard cake? Like someone else said, it depends on what they're into. Do they like comic book characters? Are they too old for a cool Spiderman, Batman, or Wolverine cake? Not necessarily the character pans, but I'm thinking a cake in the shape of the face only. My hubby would love that! He'll never be too old for a comic book character cake. Since they're around the driving age, a car cake or a driver's license cake might be good.

Fishercakes Posted 30 Dec 2005 , 4:49pm
post #7 of 15

Well both of my sons love to play baseball. The soon-to-be 16 year old said that he wants a "plain chocolate cake with canned frosting". I told him that I wasn't sure if I could bring myself to do that but we would see. He has also recently discovered the joy of building model battleships.

The other son would probably be easier to chose a cake for. He will be 15. He loves playing his electric guitar (I am not sure if I am good enough yet to attempt a 3d guitar cake), he also loves talking on the phone and listening to music.

Cakey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakey Posted 30 Dec 2005 , 5:05pm
post #8 of 15

My hubby also likes canned frosting instead of buttercream, so I added two teaspoons of corn syrup to a can of frosting and mixed it really well. Then I put the frosting on with the cake icing tip and smoothed it with a warm icing spatula, and it came out great! What about a big baseball diamond cake for both sons if they're sharing the cake? You could use those plastic baseball players and position them around the field. Or make a baseball scoreboard cake with one score 16 and the other score 15 and use their favorite team names. Or if you're doing two separate cakes, what about a baseball-shaped cake for your 16 year old and a telephone cake for your other son? I've seen the telephone cake in the old Wilton books. There's also a record player cake, too. The only problem is hardly anyone has record players anymore and the phone cake doesn't look anything like the phones we currently use! Maybe you could make him a cell phone cake or something. Or how about a phone message pad cake with an urgent message of Happy Birthday?

Fishercakes Posted 30 Dec 2005 , 5:33pm
post #9 of 15

Thanks for the tips Cakey!

They have always had separate cakes since they were about 5, which is okay with five kids in the house the first one is always gone before I need to start the second one. I thought about the baseball themes but they would probably shoot me as I did those for their team parties last year. I do like the idea of the phone cake and someone else mentioned a driver's license cake. So I guess that I am leaning towards those but still not sure.

Thanks everyone for some wonderful ideas.

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 30 Dec 2005 , 6:48pm
post #10 of 15

Ok how about this..
The guitar cake was BCT.. the other looks obviouse.. 3-D
LL
LL

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 30 Dec 2005 , 9:47pm
post #11 of 15

Are they in to video games? I'm not up to speed on what games are popular now, but you could do a cake shaped like an X-box or whatever game system they have. I think it would be cool to look at their CD collections and do the cover off of one of the CDs too. (Like the Pink Floyd one mentioned above) Just a couple of extra thoughts. Can't wait to see what you decide to do!!

cakewiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakewiz Posted 31 Dec 2005 , 6:49am
post #12 of 15

the guitar is easy enough to cut into shape so if he's into that go with it.
I actually like the pic you have up next to your name, the flaming baseball, that would look cool on a cake.
the pics are of guitars I have done, they were quite easy, it's getting over the fear factor of THINKING you can't do it.

good luck
LL
LL

dandelion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion Posted 31 Dec 2005 , 7:40am
post #13 of 15

wilton guitar pan has instructions for an electric guitar...http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E315FA3-475A-BAC0-5B4147E2CD6FDDD0
briansbaker: love the battleship cake! thumbs_up.gif did you make it?

maxiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maxiecakes Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 4:19am
post #14 of 15

Hi Kristina, I had the same problem in August with my two grandsons. I went back and forth till I finally
made the older boys cake ''Survivor Island'' and
the younger boys cake A CLASSIC CHESS GAME
with all the chess pieces in chocolate.
They each loved their cake and were very happy that they were so different.

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 8 Jan 2006 , 7:18am
post #15 of 15

How about a car for the 16 year old and a pizza for the 15 year old. Other possibilities are boom box, cell phone, ballons floating in the sky (I have this one posted). Like the others said a guitar is great too. A favorite game board ( this can get very time consuming). I'm sure whatever you do they will love it! Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%