Chocolate Covered Strawberries

Decorating By karensue Updated 27 Feb 2007 , 5:06pm by rosita6882

karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 11

I'm doing a groom's cake with chocolate covered strawberries. The bride wants to pick up the cake on Thursday and the wedding is on Saturday. I know the cake will be fine, but how long will the strawberries last? Should the cake be refrigerated because of the strawberries?

Thanks for your advice.

10 replies
mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 11

I've never done a cake with chocolate cov strawberries on top, but I do make choc cov strawberries and prefer them at room temp. By the 2nd or 3rd day, they start to "sweat" and ooze a little strawberry juice.
I'm also interested to see what advice you get.

karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 11

I checked on the internet and found that if not served within 24 hours that they should be refrigerated. I'll tell my client that I can't guarantee them after 24 hours.

heather2780 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather2780 Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 4:33pm
post #4 of 11

I made them for the first time this valentines day and I found that after leaving them in the fridge on top of the cake all night they came out a little soggy to the touch but everyone said they were ok so maybe it was my imagination still I think in the future I will do the strawberrys at the last minute.

Devonee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Devonee Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 11

I agree with heather2780, I would do the strawberries last minute to stop the leaking.

ckdcr8r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckdcr8r Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 4:48pm
post #6 of 11

That is my experience, too. They are much better at the last minute. You might be in a bind if it has to sit for 2 days. Make some up now and see how they look Thursday, and if they don't look as good as freshly made, let her know and maybe you could work something out to deliver fresh ones on Saturday. If they still look fine, great. Make sure the strawberries are completely dry before dipping, too. This will help keep them from getting mushy too fast, plus the water will ruin the chocolate.

rosita6882 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosita6882 Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 4:52pm
post #7 of 11

I FOUND THAT IT DEPENDS ALOT ALSO ON WHAT TYPE OF CHOCOLATE YOU USE. MY FINDINGS WERE THAT THE ALMOND BARK WORKS THE BEST. I TRIED USING FOUR DIFFERENT CHOCOLATES AND THE ALMOND BARK WORKED BEST. IT DIDN'T FALL APART AFTER IT HARDENED AND STAYED REALLY WELL REFRIGERATED AND DIDN'T SWEAT AT ALL. I HOPE THIS HELPS AND YES THEY SHOULD BE REFRIGERATED UNTILL LAST MINUTE CUZ YOU DON'T WANT ANYONE BITING INTO A ROTTEN STRAWBERRY.

TifFreie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TifFreie Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 4:55pm
post #8 of 11

I have done this once and I made my strawberries a one day ahead and they were fine. Although I did continue to refrigerate them once they had been placed on the cake.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 4:59pm
post #9 of 11

As the previous poster mentioned, you can extend the life of them by using fake chocolate such as almond bark or candy melts and then storing them in the fridge, but they taste gross. IMO.

I always dip strawberries the same day they are consumed. If you use real chocolate ( high cocoa butter couverture varieties make the shiniest, prettiest berries) they need to be stored at cool room temperature.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 5:01pm
post #10 of 11

When I put strawberries on top of cake, I dip the strawberries the night before and keep them in the fridge. I put the strawberries on the cake when the cake is picked up. If it's warm out I put the strawberries on the side and let them put them on the cake.

rosita6882 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosita6882 Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 5:06pm
post #11 of 11

You know whats funny, I can't eat chocolate cuz it gives me bad headaches but the cakes i make with chocolate covered strawberries, everyone raves about. Maybe thay don't know what real chocolate tastes like cuz i haven't had any complaints and it's so much easier to make them like that and not have to worry about it. I was wondering why these chocolates look so different when they dried.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%