Which Would You Buy First?

Decorating By mrsright41401 Updated 3 Mar 2007 , 2:40am by mrsright41401

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 2:07am
post #1 of 31

I may have the opportunity to buy an expensive cake toy.

So, which would you buy first?

An Agbay Cake Leveler

or

An airbrush

?

Rachel

30 replies
getfrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getfrosted Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 2:11am
post #2 of 31

I would buy an airbrush (because I don't have one and would really like one!)

More fun to play with!

viewbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
viewbaker Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 2:12am
post #3 of 31

definatly the airbrush...Ive been looking for one and cant find any around here...if anyone could help that would be awesome ......

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 2:13am
post #4 of 31

I don't have an airbrush, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE my agbay! It makes me giddy to slice cakes! Cuts out the aggravation! The airbrush would be fun, but the Agbay would be practical and you will super love it!

cakedeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedeco Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 2:15am
post #5 of 31

The airbrush machine. Make sure you buy a good compressor. My first I bought the kopykake and it had only one pressure, so I could not do fine detail. I use my airbrush machine on almost every cake I do.

Beezaly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beezaly Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 2:16am
post #6 of 31

Ok, the cake leveler is very cool, but you can achieve that with any cake leveler (just more work). There is no other tool that will you to airbrush. I would buy the airbrush first. Then when my DH is revived from that big purchase, I'd buy the Agbay. But it really depends...do you think you will be doing a lot of airbrushing? Or do you like to do a lot of torting on your cakes? Which ever you will get the most out of-go for it! And congrats on whatever you get!! (wish I could icon_smile.gif

-Ashley

MCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCook Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 2:16am
post #7 of 31

Airbrush! I would give my DH's big toe for one! For those who have one--what brand do you have or what is said to be the best?

Beezaly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beezaly Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 2:20am
post #8 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCook

Airbrush! I would give my DH's big toe for one! For those who have one--what brand do you have or what is said to be the best?

I'd give my DH's whole foot!! icon_smile.gif I soooo want one, but must wait till my B-day (which is in Aug!)

mrsright41401 Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 2:20am
post #9 of 31

Thank you everyone!

I'll let you know what I decide!

Rachel

customcaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
customcaker Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 2:21am
post #10 of 31

I vote for the airbrush too! I bought mine from Pfeil & Holing over 10 years ago and it's still going strong. Just make sure you buy the cleaner fluid too!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 3:09am
post #11 of 31

Which do you think you would use the most? Do you torte all your cakes? If so then you know will you get alot of use out of the leveler.

How many cakes do you think you will actually use the airbrush on? I have an airbrush and I am glad I have one, but I do not use it for every cake and probably don't pull it out as much as I could.

In the end it is going to depend on what will be more useful to you, and what you will get your money's worth out of.

mrsright41401 Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 3:48am
post #12 of 31

I do torte all my cakes and that would be the smart tool to have. I really need something that will not destroy my cakes when I torte them as the darn small Wilton leveler sometimes does, something that cuts a level cut no matter what and something that is big enough to do big cakes, which I hate the Big Wilton Leveler.

The airbrush, this is my FUN toy. I would love to use it and as I'm hoping to start doing more and more artistic cakes, I really could use it, but in the end, it's a toy and for my pleasure more than a tool that I so definately have to have.

Rachel

MCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCook Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 4:12am
post #13 of 31

OK--I should have researched exactly what an Agbay Leveler was before I replied. I googled it and saw a video of it in use---I change my vote for the delux model if you can swing it ! If you torte most of your cakes-this would be the tool to get first---then the "toy' as you said. Of course, BOTH, would be reaalllllly nice! thumbs_up.gif

SweetTreatsbyCarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTreatsbyCarol Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 4:19am
post #14 of 31

Ahh, the airbrush sounds divine icon_razz.gif

jackie64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackie64 Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 4:38am
post #15 of 31

Definitely the airbrush I want one really bad so its the next thing on the list . icon_smile.gif

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 4:40am
post #16 of 31

Airbrush, definitely!

Beth in KY

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 4:41am
post #17 of 31

Honestly, I'd buy the Agbay. The airbrush seems like a luxury and an Agbay like a necessity. You don't NEED an airbrush, but you do need an Agbay; it will make your life easier.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 6:16am
post #18 of 31

LOL, this is the same questions I have been debating! I have been saving up money for it, but still haven't decided.

I really really want an airbrush, but I think the more practical one is the Leveler. I will use it on every cake I do, where an airbrush I would use a lot, but not on everything. Also the airbrush is going to have renewing supplies, and atm, I am not sure if that would be in the budget.

I know this is a decision only you can make, depending on exactly what type of decorating you do more.

Not sure if this helped or hindered your decision, Sorry!

mthiberge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mthiberge Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 6:25am
post #19 of 31

Most definately the airbrush...but after culinary school I'm VERY HANDY with my serated knife...she's all I EVER use for leveling and if I may toot my own horn, my cakes are pretty true.
The airbrush will be tons more fun too!

mcassada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcassada Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 2:39pm
post #20 of 31

OOOOHHHHHH, my heart says Airbrush

but my head says leveler

good luck what a hard decision

alicegop Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 12:47am
post #21 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by nglez09

Honestly, I'd buy the Agbay. The airbrush seems like a luxury and an Agbay like a necessity. You don't NEED an airbrush, but you do need an Agbay; it will make your life easier.

100% agree with nglez09

airbrush would be fun, but you will be singing and skipping for how easy it is to level and you'll use it on all your cakes!

glory2god Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glory2god Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 12:49am
post #22 of 31

airbrush

M1resnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
M1resnick Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 12:57am
post #23 of 31

Definately airbrush!

If your DH goves you any grief when he finds out how much it as - you could always spray him w/it icon_lol.gif

mrsright41401 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 1:07am
post #24 of 31

ROFL

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 1:16am
post #25 of 31

Oohhhhh..........dlecisions, decisions! When I can't decide, I buy both! It really does relieve the stress! It may mean eating beans for a month, and/or living in dark, but what the heck! Imagine how happy/giddy/stress-free you'll feel!!

mrsright41401 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 1:16am
post #26 of 31

lol - I chose the Agbay... as soon as we get the tax refund I'll get the airbrush.

Rachel

alicegop Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 12:03am
post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsright41401

lol - I chose the Agbay... as soon as we get the tax refund I'll get the airbrush.

Rachel

YES! I WIN! icon_razz.gif

mrsright41401 Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 12:22am
post #28 of 31

Wouldn't it be me that wins? icon_wink.gif

Rachel

Lindsayu83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lindsayu83 Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 5:54pm
post #29 of 31

i vote for airbrush