Christmas Over, What Next?

Business By melodyscakes Updated 11 Jan 2006 , 3:25pm by VACakelady

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 28 Dec 2005 , 12:46am
post #1 of 16

whew, what a busy season!!! i made a few birthday cakes this month and did some craft shows at the first of the month. i even made all our friends cookie baskets as gifts this year.....
i know you guys have been very busy this past season too,....but my question is: whats next for your business? i know valentines day is coming up, but is there something that you guys do to boost business while inbetween now and then?
thanks for sharing!
melody

15 replies
sweetstuff09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetstuff09 Posted 28 Dec 2005 , 12:58am
post #2 of 16

I always make a few things for New Years. I make my BEST! chocolate chip cookies (they are soooo good) make about two appetizers and every year make a new drink to celebrate the new year!!
Serena
If you want the recipe just let me know icon_smile.gif

cakelady52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady52 Posted 28 Dec 2005 , 1:03am
post #3 of 16

I always make a great big cake for New Years,so I'm looking at all the cakes to get my inspiration.

sweetstuff09 Posted 28 Dec 2005 , 1:17am
post #4 of 16

Here is the recipe if any of you guys would like to try it!! Enjoy icon_smile.gif Serena

Yummy Chocolate chip cookies!!

Ingredients:
2 ¼ cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup margarine (softened)
¼ cup white sugar
¾ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 package instant vanilla pudding mix
2 eggs
1 package of semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
2. In medium size mixing bowl combine flour and baking soda. (set aside)
3. In a large mixing bowl combine margarine, white sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and pudding mix. Beat until smooth and creamy. Beat in eggs.
4. Gradually stir in flour mixture.
5. Add chocolate chips
6. On an ungreased baking sheet drop batter in heaping tablespoons about two inches apart Bake for 9- 9 ½ minutes or until golden brown.

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 28 Dec 2005 , 1:33am
post #5 of 16

This is something I just thought of a few days ago...need to ask the school director if it's doable first, though icon_rolleyes.gif I'm hoping to make an assortment of decorated cookies and mini-cakes and package them for sale...then set up a table at the entrance of my son's school (it's a private school-can't do that sort of thing at public schools here). I'd like to do it a week or so after school is back in session. I know the cookies & cakes I want to do, and I'm pretty sure how I'll package them, but the pricing is something I'm a little stuck on. I want the cookies/cakes to sell, of course, can't do them for free....but I also want it to generate some business. I'm worried if I price too high no one will buy and if priced to low, then they'll expect a "deal" if they order from me later on. UUUGGGHH icon_razz.gif So, that's what I'm hoping to do to keep me busy! icon_rolleyes.gificon_smile.gif

melodyscakes Posted 28 Dec 2005 , 9:22pm
post #6 of 16

jennt, my kids dont go to private school, so i dont know any thing about them....but do the parents drop kids off everyday inside the building? also, would the profit be for you or the school? just my 2 cents...but if you say portian of profits go to school, they may help you advertise and get the word out.....then you will still get exposure.
let us know how you do this, and how much business you get!

melody

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 29 Dec 2005 , 2:19am
post #7 of 16

melodyscakes - Yes..the parents can either walk their kids in or go through the car line...they do both...about half & half. But everyone must walk in and pick their child up and sign them out....so I'd probably get more "traffic" in the afternoon = more $$. They let lots of the moms do this sort of thing all the time...they sell things like clothing lines they rep, clothing they make themselves, some just do monogramming, some sell their invitations/cards they make, etc. , some rep toys/books.....all of them at some point have set up a table in the front hallway and sell things all throughout the year. The director will let you put a flyer on the bulletin board just inside the front door (which everyone can't help but see when coming/going) plus if you want to send flyers home in the kids bags, she'll let you go to each class and slip them into the bags - I have to mention here that each child has a canvas bag with the name of the school and their name embroidered on it...they're all the same, just different colors. The teachers use the bags to send home communication(s) for the parents...so we have to check the bags every day....lol. Plus you can post a flyer at the door of each classroom. And they don't require that any of the profits go to the school....is that cool or what?? Since they already let me "advertise" for free, I think I'll just give her a portion of the sales after it's all over, without telling her in advance...a surprise! icon_wink.gif But I've never seen anyone selling any baked goods before, so that's the only ? I have about it....not sure if it's doable. Otherwise, they will still allow me the free advertising anyway...so I'll just do that even if I can't set up a table and sell on school grounds.

Not sure how much business I'd get for sure...but I can say that most of these moms at this school are not in the kitchen much, unlike me....lol. They're more the tennis, shopping, lunch kind of crowd....lol. More likely than not, they pay for birthday & special occasion cakes made or go buy something from a restaraunt. In the four years that my kids have gone there, I've only met 3 other moms who like to cook & bake icon_eek.gif

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 29 Dec 2005 , 2:44am
post #8 of 16

I never had Christmas business in the first place, so I wouldn't say mine has slowed down. I find with all the other goodies, I don't want to make any cakes. I did have a HUGE wedding cake order for two days after Christmas, and January is a busy month for birthdays around here. I have 3 birthday cakes lined up, plus an engagement party cake for this Friday.

I am not actually trying to get business, I just take what I get, but if I were, I guess I would make up sample Valentine cakes to send with my husband to work, to put in the staff room at my kids' schools, etc... and try to get Valentine orders.

Melissa icon_smile.gif

melodyscakes Posted 29 Dec 2005 , 3:54am
post #9 of 16

jennt, wow! so cool how moms can sell stuff at school!!! i really like that!!!! i would sure take advantage of that if i could.

melissa, i may start making some valentines day stuff for hubby to take to work, at least a picture of one of my cookie bouquets....
i just realized that i am not ready to jump into the next thing yet...haha still recooping!!! anyway, i like to always try to think of the next season or holiday so i can figure out what i want to do.

thanks guys!

and jennt, let us know how the school sale goes!! make sure you have a little card of some sort so people know that you do this and want there business...also, if you have a picture of some of your cakes, have those so the moms can look at your birthday cakes...thats where you can make money...all the kids have a birthday....if you get the moms attention, maybe you can do all there cakes....wow that would keep you busy,,,and in the money! haha
melody

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 29 Dec 2005 , 4:06am
post #10 of 16

I think I will make a few 3-cookie bouquets in a coffee mug ($15.00) and place at the cooking school/kitchen store that I demo at sometimes. And maybe one 7-cookie rose bouquet--these run $45.00. I will take advance orders and deliver on V. Day.

Cakeman66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeman66 Posted 29 Dec 2005 , 4:42am
post #11 of 16

I have a few things, but nothing more important than my Nieces 11th birthday. I have a nice special cake that I'll reveal when it's done, as I've never seen it before or heard of one like it, it's under wraps to everyone, even family.

sweetstuff09 Posted 29 Dec 2005 , 6:17am
post #12 of 16

I also make cookie bouquets and chocolate lollipops for my friends for Valentines day.

I am also wondering if any of you guys know how to do some really good and neat designs for chocolate molding I would love to learn thanks for all your guys' help! icon_smile.gif
Serena

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 2 Jan 2006 , 10:08pm
post #13 of 16

January and February are my slowest times of the year! I think everyone is on the "newest fad diet" to faithfully begin that new year's resolution, they are not even thinking about cake!

I look at it as a welcomed break for me, because around March, I kick back into gear!

bikegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikegal Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 6:03am
post #14 of 16

Groundhog's Day!!!!! icon_smile.gif That would be a hoot because nobody ever celebrates it. Just came up with that the other day because a friend of mine wanted a reason to host a party. I said, "Why not celebrate Groundhog's Day?" how obscure is that. He's going to purchase the Whack A Mole game and give out prizes to the best whackers.

bikegal

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 1:02pm
post #15 of 16

Too funny, bikegal.
I had to look twice at "the best whackers", was just scanning it and thought it said "best knockers" LOL!!!

My best friend is going through a tough time right now in her marriage and having a hysterectomy in a week. I think we will have a surprise "margarita party" this weekend. Friday, I'm going to send her a cookie bouquet with margarita-shaped cookies.

VACakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VACakelady Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 3:25pm
post #16 of 16

I actually did a groundhog day cake for my BIL to take to work one year. Unfortunately I didn't have a camera at the time but BIL took a pic of it for me. I only have a printout of the pic. Basically it was a sheet cake iced in green with a few indents cut out of it like holes in the ground. I iced the holes with chocolate and sprinkled graham cracker crumbs around each hole like light colored dirt. In one hole I had the head of a small plush teddy bear sticking out that looked like a groundhog. Everyone loved it, and definitely one of the most unusual cakes I've ever done...... except that one of Al Roker with hershey kiss nipples that BIL ordered for a bday at work.... very strange guy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%