bookbabe Posted 26 Dec 2005 , 8:40pm
post #1 of

okay, this is one of those things my family won't ever let me live down icon_cry.gif ....I tried to make a yule log cake for the first time this weekend. It tasted great--I used the recipe from the Cake Doctor's book. It baked up beautifully, came out of the pan beautifully, rolled up just right....or so I thought. When I unrolled, the cake was in about a zillion pieces (okay, so that's an exaggeration, but it was a bunch...) I tried to piece it back together but not very well--my family thought it was hilariously funny.....any ideas what went wrong?? Did I not let it cool long enough? too long? should you NOT roll them right away??

any ideas, suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

thanks!

17 replies
aliciaL_77 Posted 26 Dec 2005 , 9:31pm
post #2 of

I wish I could help but I would like to know too so I hope someone out there can tell

shortNsweet Posted 26 Dec 2005 , 10:03pm
post #3 of

I had the very same problem when i made a chocolate roll cake ( recipe from my KA recipe book). It was fine when I rolled it up in the tea towel while it was hot, and when it cooled off, and I unrolled it, it broke in about 4 or 5 places. I put the whipped cream in it anyway, and tried my best to roll it back up, and it did not look so great. I di d however, put mint leaves over those unsightly cracks, and no one was the wiser!...lol...it looked fine after I did that and sprinkled powdered sugar over it, and it tasted WONDERFUL! It's a great recipe and everyone loved it! I was ready to throw it all in a trifle dish and eat it anyway!( my recue mission for cakes that dont' come out well!)

NEWTODECORATING Posted 26 Dec 2005 , 10:08pm
post #4 of

I am right there with you! I had the same problem and posted the question two days ago or so. I hope someone can answer this.

Loucinda Posted 27 Dec 2005 , 3:32am
post #5 of

Did you use a kitchen towel sprinkled with powdered sugar to roll it in? I let mine completely cool and then unroll, then fill and re-roll and it works fine. I have made probably 25 of them the last couple of years and not had the first trouble.

MakeItYours Posted 27 Dec 2005 , 4:12am
post #6 of

shortNsweet, what exactly is a tea towel? I found an old recipe from my grandmother and it called for a tea towel and I am not sure what that is. This is probably one of those questions I will feel stupid for asking later.

Loucinda Posted 27 Dec 2005 , 4:13am
post #7 of

I think it is the old term for a kitchen towel....they used to be made out of flour sack like material. I just use a regular fresh clean terry kitchen towel to roll mine in.

NEWTODECORATING Posted 27 Dec 2005 , 5:01am
post #8 of

That is exactly what I did. I made pumpkin rolls at Thanksgiving too--same problem.
Bakes great, out of oven, turn out on towel dusted with powdered sugar and roll immediately. I let it cool and then the trouble starts. When I unroll it wants to stay rolled up. It is not stuck to the towel, the cake itself just wants to stay rolled up. When I unroll it breaks and cracks at the pressure points of the circle, so that I have C shaped pieces not a flat piece of cake again to spread filling on.

Loucinda Posted 27 Dec 2005 , 5:26am
post #9 of

Are you unrolling them gently....really slow. I am at a loss for what it could be, maybe the cake itself is too thin (or too thick?) I have been very lucky with not having any touble. I do know the batters I use for these are a much thinner looking batter than what a regular cake would be. Are you using parchment paper on the jelly roll pan before putting the batter in? I spray the pan with PAM, then put the parchement on it, then spray it with PAM also.

bookbabe Posted 27 Dec 2005 , 5:10pm

thanks for the advice. You're right--a tea towel is one that isn't made of terry cloth--sort of the old fashioned "feed sack" kind of towels (at least that's what my grandmother called it.)

Maybe the batter was too thick. I did try the parchment and it came out beautifully. Maybe I did roll it too hard, too fast.

Maybe I just need to practice, practice, practice!

thanks!

Cakey Posted 27 Dec 2005 , 5:35pm

I've seen them called flour sack towels at KMart, Wal-Mart, and Target. I use them for embroidery. They don't pick up lint and fuzz like regular towels so they're good for working with food. I use them to cover bread when it's rising and things like that. They are also really absorbent!! I use them for everything in the kitchen, food, dishes, clean-up, wiping the counter. They're usually five for $5.00, so it's a bargain.

MakeItYours Posted 28 Dec 2005 , 3:05am

Thank you for the information on the tea towels. I think thats what my dh's grandmother and mother cover homemade tortillas with.

cande Posted 28 Dec 2005 , 10:17am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcrew

maybe the cake itself is too thin (or too thick?)

How thick should the cake be, about half an inch baked?

Quote:
Quote:

...the batters I use for these are a much thinner looking batter than what a regular cake would be.

Anyone want to share recipes?

I would like to try one of the roll or log cakes, too. What types of fillings do you use? A buttercream-based one?

shortNsweet Posted 28 Dec 2005 , 5:20pm

That's right. A tea towel is merely a thin, cotton, NON terri towel, that produces no fuzz. It is also thinner. I did sprinkle HEAVY powdered sugar before I rolled the cake.and let cool completely...but as I unrolled slowly, ti cracked! I wouldn't let this keep me from making it again, as it was SOOOO delicious!

mari_golde Posted 29 Dec 2005 , 6:47am

Hi everyone! I just wanted to tell you about my experience with rolled cakes. I used to make A LOT of them - my DH went through a "phase". I found that these rolled cakes hold together much better and are more spongy if you - I hate to use this term - underbake - them. I once made the mistake of baking the cake for the recommended time, and sure enough, nothing but bits & pieces everywhere. I'm not sure if my oven was too hot back then, but honestly - if I take the cake out as soon as it sets, and then roll it up in a heavily dusted tea towel (I use a terry one) I dont have a problem. I hope this helps!

Loucinda Posted 29 Dec 2005 , 3:44pm

That is true too, I test mine by touching it lightly with my finger tip, as soon as it stops "sticking" to my finger, I take it out of the oven. (you can't use the tradtiional method for regular cakes, these are much too thin for that!)

NEWTODECORATING Posted 29 Dec 2005 , 3:58pm

Yureka! I think that is my problem!!! I have solved the sticking problem but could not for the life of me stop the breaking and spliting. I was baking until the toothpick came out clean and it pulled away from the edges of the pan some. I am going to have to try this again now before the first of the year - DIET ---- AGAIN!!

bookbabe Posted 30 Dec 2005 , 3:57pm

hey that just might be the thing! I may try it again and take it to work once school starts up again--they'll eat anything falling apart or not......

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%