Wilton Fondant

Decorating By LanaC Updated 1 Mar 2007 , 4:58am by mthiberge

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 28

If it's generally accepted that Wilton fondant blows monkey bombs in the taste department. Why in the world don't they change the secret formula? You know Wilton must have some of the best baking minds in the world sitting around in their super duper top secret test kitchens. Would it be so hard for them to figure out that oh, this just might not taste very good?

27 replies
MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 28

LanaC, I have written Wilton on this very subject..........all they would say is they would forward my suggestion to their product development department.......maybe if more people wrote in. icon_rolleyes.gif

deb

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 28

I read somewhere that the problem with Wilton fondant is that it's not flavored. Maybe the idea is that we add the flavoring to make it taste better? I don't know, I stick to MMF these days!

LanaC Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 28
Quote:
Quote:

I read somewhere that the problem with Wilton fondant is that it's not flavored. Maybe the idea is that we add the flavoring to make it taste better?

But if I wanted to go through the grief of mixing it all up myself, I'd make the mmf. Maybe I'm being too picky lol. You'd just think that they would do SOMETHING differently. When I have a devils food chocolate cake with reeses cup filling and it sits uneaten on the counter in a household full of kids, all because it has fondant on it, something is wrong.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 9:31pm
post #5 of 28

There are a few of Wilton's products that baffle rational people like us icon_wink.gif

- Wilton Fondant (ever wonder what Elmer's Glue tastes like?)
- Wilton Tilting Turntable (Tilting your cake right onto the floor)
- Wilton Ribbon Cutter & Embosser ("Embosser" yes, "Cutter" no)

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 11:59pm
post #6 of 28

i spent years trying to stay away from fondant because i thought it was supposed to taste bad... if i only knew then, what i know now...

MomLittr Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 3:13am
post #7 of 28

Just thought I would copy and paste the response I got from Wilton after giving my opinion of the Fondant/Gumpaste Class:

""Thank you for visiting the Wilton web site and for taking the time to
share your suggestions for Fondant & Gum Paste. Customer feedback is
vital as we work to improve our curriculum.

The new course was designed to be beginner level fondant and gum paste,
and we will try to better communicate this with future advertising to
avoid any disappointments in class. We are also working on more
advanced classes, so please do stay tuned to more new courses from
Wilton.

Best regards,

Ms. Shawn A. Broda""

I guess they realized that folks thought this was more than a basic class. Sounds like someday they will have more advanced classes - maybe with more folks writing them, it will someday happen.

deb

Barbend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barbend Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 3:20am
post #8 of 28

Wilton Fondant is only good for covering cake boards in my opinion. I use my coupons and buy it for that reason. I personally use satin ice now. It taste soooo much better than wilton. It is a little sweet, but at least people eats it and it is not just peeled off!!

kms2402 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kms2402 Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 3:24am
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

There are a few of Wilton's products that baffle rational people like us icon_wink.gif

That's funny...I almost lost a cake to the floor with the Tilting Turntable!!! icon_biggrin.gif

kms2402 Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 3:27am
post #10 of 28

MomLittr....how was the Wilton Fondant/Gumpaste class? I was thinking about taking it next month, but not sure how much gumpaste they cover. I would like more gumpaste than Fondant.

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 3:29am
post #11 of 28

I totally agree about Wilton dropping the ball where fondant is concerned. Have also contacted them. Amazing. I think Wilton is a good place to learn the basics.....but too many times, I think they're just about making the almighty dollar~ at all costs. I think they take advantage of their "students" by suckering them into buying alot of unnecessary equipment and product. Just my personal rant~ !

MelZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelZ Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 3:31am
post #12 of 28
Quote:

I'm glad to hear I wasn't using the Wilton Ribbon "Cutter" & Embosser wrong, because I thought it was a terrible cutter. icon_rolleyes.gif

MomLittr Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 3:33am
post #13 of 28

KMS, it is a basic fondant and gumpaste class as they said. You only learn 3 gumpaste flowers along with some basic fondant work (drapes for one). I did learn a couple of things I had not done before, but nothing earth shattering. If you enjoy the classes, this one is not too bad. Just be sure to have a coupon to buy the kit with (expensive).

deb

sfcrowe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sfcrowe Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 3:34am
post #14 of 28

I have read many posts that do not have good things to say about fondant. I wondered why, because I thought the stuff tasted pretty good and my taste testers did too. I was making the fondant from scratch. Then I tasted the Wilton brand....oh, yuck. No wonder! My brother fed it to his hives of bees...they did not seem to mind the difference. Now, when someone says they will not eat a fondant covered cake, I suggest that they try the homemade version. They usually change their mind.

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 3:38am
post #15 of 28

I think the problem with Wilton fondant is not only the taste, but the texture as well. icon_smile.gif It's gross. I had read a while back that they are "re-formulating" their recipe. Whatever that means.

I whole-heartedly agree that Wilton does try and soft sell all of their stuff. I let my students decide if they like the fondant or not, but I always offer suggestions to avoid the Wilton fondant. (I know, I know....sales isn't my strong suit.) I hate watching people spend money on something edible that doesn't taste good. It defies reasoning.

Angie

LanaC Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 3:44am
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Quote:

I had read a while back that they are "re-formulating" their recipe. Whatever that means.

I think it means they fired the researcher they had snatched from PlayDough. Don't get me wrong though, I love the stuff for molding and decorating and it makes a snazzy looking cake, it just tastes bad.

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 3:49am
post #17 of 28

LOL!

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 3:52am
post #18 of 28
Quote:

-Large leveler icon_wink.gif

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 3:54am
post #19 of 28

And their fondant is expensive too, if you think about it. Of course, no rational person is going to buy their fondant w/o the coupon, but it's $22 for 5 lbs. w/o it! It's more expensive than SATIN ICE!

kms2402 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 1:43am
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomLittr

KMS, it is a basic fondant and gumpaste class as they said. You only learn 3 gumpaste flowers along with some basic fondant work (drapes for one). I did learn a couple of things I had not done before, but nothing earth shattering. If you enjoy the classes, this one is not too bad. Just be sure to have a coupon to buy the kit with (expensive).

deb

Thanks! I was actually almost talking myself out of it, thinking I might not learn a thing! But even if I learn a little gumpaste and I don't know a thing about draping fondant, that may be worth it!

Thanks again!

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 1:56am
post #21 of 28

I'm taking the fondant/gumpaste class now - next week is the last night. I wanted to learn the drape also and we did last week. The carnations are giving me fits though. They looked so easy when the instructor made them icon_lol.gif

As far as the Wilton fondant, nothing molds any better in my opinion. I've tried bows with SatinIce, Pettinice and Rolled White Chocolate fondant. The Wilton ones were far better. However, I bet if gumpaste was added to the other types of fondant, it might have made them work better.
And when putting flavoring in it, don't use too much like I did once. Now we're talking yuck! icon_smile.gif

rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 3:43am
post #22 of 28

what is mmf?

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 3:47am
post #23 of 28

Marshmallow Fondant

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 3:53am
post #24 of 28

About the fondant/gumpaste class....
Depending on your instructor, you could learn more, or less....I start the class next week and have been e-mailing the instructor. She said if there were other flowers we wanted to learn to just let her know and she would try and fit them in. She has been learning all different kinds and practicing them so she is gonna bring them all in and let us take a look and learn how to do them as well....I thought waaaay cool!!!

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 3:54am
post #25 of 28

I've never used Wiltons fondant-I make MMF- so I can't add my 2cents in but the reason I make MMF is because of the negative comments Ive read. I love MMF.

I haven't used the turn table and after reading the experiences from y'all w/ it I won't purchase one.

I did buy the ribbon cutter & embosser and it worked great for me. I used it for my present cake in my pictures.

rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 3:55am
post #26 of 28

ah! Thanks. Learn something new every day.

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 4:51am
post #27 of 28

Fondant tastes yucky to me any way it's made (but love it for looks!) - but Wilton is particularly bad. I really think it has less to do with flavoring, and more to do with the fact they have to make it last and stay fresh for a very long time. I am sure the additives that are not used in MMF or homemade other fondants are part of what makes it so horrible. Even though I haven't decorated much, I've found it to be useful when I've run out of homemade fondant and still need to add a few details.

mthiberge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mthiberge Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 4:58am
post #28 of 28
Quote:

Don't forget about the cake edger with all those handy dandy teeth that fall out all over the floor and get stuck in the side of your cake and generally cause ANGER AND FRUSTRATION!!!! icon_mad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%