Colorflow Needs Some Sparkle - Help!

Decorating By petitesweet Updated 27 Feb 2007 , 2:22pm by pammelasue

petitesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitesweet Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 9

I was wondering if luster dust could be added to colorflow while mixing to give it some sparkle. Do you know if this would work? I'm afraid of adding it after making the piece because any water or extract would melt it and it won't stick afterward when the piece is dry. HELP!!! I need gold for part of the emblem of an organization I am doing a 1/2 sheet cake for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

8 replies
petitesweet Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 4:28pm
post #2 of 9

Has anyone tried this? Sure would love some help.

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 9

I haven't done any colorflow designs but I have brushed on luster dust without any water/alcohol. It works just fine. HTH.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 4:34pm
post #4 of 9

I have brushed it on the dried piece with a brush, but only used it dry. I have a motorcycle cake in my photos that I did this. I needed a chrome look on the bike, and just used a new fluffy eyeshadow brush and brushed the dry luster dust on. It worked very well.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 4:39pm
post #5 of 9

I've gilded colorflow pieces with a combination lemon extract and lustre dust. I don't particularly like that combo -- that weird chemical lemon smell dominates!! I prefer the confectioners glaze/lustre dust "paint" that I use now. In fact, I have several pieces to flow today for gilding on Thursday.

petitesweet Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 4:40pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you fooby I appreciate your reply. I will try it dry. jen1977 your motorcycle is fabulous!!!! I am so excited now because I can try this with confidence that it will work. Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!!! Have a great day. I know I will!!!

tincanbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tincanbaby Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 3:49am
post #7 of 9

I did it on my birds for course 2 cake and it worked for me.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 1:27pm
post #8 of 9

Question: Does anyone remember how to quickly dry color flow? I remember something about putting it in the oven with the light on, question is, is the door open too or not?

pammelasue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pammelasue Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 2:22pm
post #9 of 9

bobwonderbuns,
What is your confectioners glaze/luster dust paint recipe, if you don't mind sharing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%