Help With Cookies

Baking By bobwonderbuns Updated 26 Feb 2007 , 11:57pm by Havingfunbaking

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 8

Hi all!!

I've been cookie decorating for a couple of years now and I'm good at the techniques I know (and always learning new ones too!) I have a question on two cookie cutters I recently bought (just because they were cool and I had to have them... icon_cool.gif ), namely the open book cutter and the diploma cutter. The open book, how would I get it dimensional -- how would I do the center opening of the book and the pages around the outside? I'm thinking of doing this with fondant, but still I'm not sure of the how-tos. Same thing with the diploma, it looks something like an open scroll (rolled outward at top and inward at bottom.) On the roll part of the top and bottom, I figure it's the same thing as the open book -- how to do pages? Any suggestions??

7 replies
GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 8

Are you wanting to score the fondant, to make it look like pages? I'm having a hard time visualizing the cookie, I guess.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 8:55pm
post #3 of 8

Could you just outline with like a number 1 tip, around the book, make a line down the middle for a crease, and then put a few lines on the sides for pages? From clip art pictures I googled, the bottom "line" of the book is slightly rounded, like a rainbow, to give the illusion of an open book, the way the pages round sometimes when you have a big book open.
LL

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 9:00pm
post #4 of 8

Are you wanting actual 3-D or the appearance of/a sugggestion of 3-D?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 9:58pm
post #5 of 8

My cutter looks like the clip art above. I would like the "pages" part to be fondant, being raised above the cookie (not necessarily off the cookie.) I guess you would say I would like it to look like the clip art above with the brown part as the cookie and the fondant part as the pages. Does that make sense?

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 8

Ohhh. I was thinking the base would be fondant then the pages could be drawn on with royal icing.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 11:46pm
post #7 of 8

I would probably cover the entire cookie with white fondant and then use brown black royal icing to outline everything (as in the clipart picture), then use brown royal to fill-in around the edge as in the picture. I'm not sure how to get the look of pages.....UNLESS, you used royal icing, then combed it or painted on it with gold LD to make the edges look guilded, like on a bible? Maybe?

Havingfunbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Havingfunbaking Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 11:57pm
post #8 of 8

You could also maybe make some horizontal lines using a basic round number 1 tip near the bottom and sides of the book to represent different pages. Same for the diploma, I think also.

Good luck! Let us see when you are done please so we can all learn from your experience. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%